mustang vs camaro vs challenger BURNOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's Patarello, and he is still around there, I dont know many of the used car guys.

I doubt you'll be back in that store, but if you do decide to give them another shot. Then send me a PM and I'll set you up with a great salesman on the new side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xlt4me
GM has a system on new corvettes called launch control. They actually brag that it eases the load on the drive train and won't void the warrantee... like some other manufactures will. I'm sure it will find it's way onto the new Camaro also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9wRW-Ysxck

Nissan has something similar. Disabling it instantly voided your warranty, but the only way to get the advertised 0-60 time was with it disabled. Go figure......

I've never liked Camaro's,but I love the new ones !
20.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Jesus,

I see the 10 HP car owning folks have entered the room!
I have a Mcleod Twin Disk clutch holding back just over 400 RWHP and 420 ft/lbs of torque going through a T-56 to a pile o'[censored] F-body 10 bolt and can do a burnout all day.

That is what they are made for, to beat on. That is the whole spirit of those 3 cars.

Stick to your 10 HP Toyotas and Hondas, make sure they never ever see any abuse and never EVERE see red line, because they won't take that beating.

That sir, is ROFLCOPTER worthy
grin2.gif

I agree! Dumping the clutch on STREET TIRES won't hurt a thing. Those are some soft, safe revlimiters, sounds like a lot of drive by wire action going on instead of the traditinal rev limiter dropping cylinders.

The abuse I've put cars through, I've never really hurt anything messing around like this. It's only when you're pulling 1.4 60' times at the track you stand the chance of hurting something.

Owning the TL and learning more about imports, you see tons of problems when you start doing clutch drops, especially on FWD cars. All it takes on many of them is a set of drag radials and a 1.9 60' to start puking axles and transmissions. This is usually with much lower power levels too. Pretty sad but who really races a FWD car lol. That's why my TL goes to the roadcourse but will never come within 20 miles of a drag strip. Domestics seem to be really overbuilt in this regard. They are known for taking 50-100% more hp and putting it down relatively well and reliably. Even the local Lambos and Ferraris seem to have trouble holding up to drag racing abuse. Porsche seems to be the exception.

I actually did think all 3 cars would burn out longer but I would almost think in this situation, the car with the tallest first gear and highest rev limiter would hold the advantage.

Off topic but I have no one to tell this to but bitog lol. I entered a burnout contest at a local car show. Mostly imports sitting in place with the e-brake holding the car still, a few domestics powerbraking the [censored] out of them. So since we had a very large burnout area I decided to be different. I had the car on some old but wide street tires which had no chance at hooking even at 100mph. I roll up to the line at about 25mph, right at the point I could barely downshift to first to spool the turbo. Instead of stopping at the line, I roll past it on the brakes building a little boost and then let off the brakes and floored it doing a 25mph rolling burnout into second gear, pretty much instantly into third and into fourth after a couple seconds. Speedo was pegged at 85mph lol and I think it was reading around 65mph when I finally ran out of room and let off. Interestingly, the tires continued to leave lines for another 100' or so until they cooled. I really just did it to tweak the import crowd and put things in perspective which I think I did.

My favorite burnout car growing up was the 5.0 Fox. I could shift quicker than my friends. One in particular had a 347 with an ATI blower and some crazy 4.xx gears (which I think hurt it more than helped it after the blower). I would dump the clutch in first, instantly shift to second and if I was lucky and the tires were hot enough in second, it would go straight to the rev limiter in third. The short wheelbase Fox platform was always a handful but fun to slide.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
I've never liked Camaro's,but I love the new ones !
20.gif

Me too. Performance aside, it has a presence that the others don't have. I think it really stands out of the crowd. Now offer a stipped "lightweight" version, maybe 3,400lbs and you would have a winner. The Tl is about paid off. If only I could lease a Camaro for $300 I would do it in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Now offer a stipped "lightweight" version, maybe 3,400lbs and you would have a winner.

I was thinking more like 3100-3200 lbs., but that would take some serious coin, whether it was done by the factory, or privately by the owner.
wink.gif

That said, yes, even a 3400# curb weight would wake that beast up quite well.

I think the new Camaros look really unfinished somehow. I've seen a few tasteful body kits and aftermarket rims that make them look very, very tough though. The body has a lot of potential, appearance wise IMO.

Agreed, dumping the clutch should not be a big deal, especially in a performance car. [censored], I revved up to 5000kRPM and dumped the clutch on my old Tercel almost every day when I had it and it went to car heaven with the original FWD driveshafts @ 350,000km. I do it in my Ranger every so often now. An old econobox and a small truck, that's not expected to be driven like that. A Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger that can not hold up to full power launching is defective IMO. That is their very purpose is to go fast, smoke tires and be driven aggressively. Most econo-cars, vans, trucks can hold up to plenty of it, if a performance car can't I'd be pretty upset regardless what brand it is.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I think the new Camaros look really unfinished somehow. I've seen a few tasteful body kits and aftermarket rims that make them look very, very tough though. The body has a lot of potential, appearance wise IMO.

I agree, from the outside the Camaro is sharp.....Too bad nothing can be done for that hideous dash they have though.

Just my opinion and tastes obviously, but the dash and interior in the Camaro is a huge ugly mess. Those pods sitting on top of the column look stupid, even the font used for the lettering and numbers looks cheap to me. The new Mustang dash and interior are first class in comparison.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I agree, from the outside the Camaro is sharp.....Too bad nothing can be done for that hideous dash they have though.

Just my opinion and tastes obviously, but the dash and interior in the Camaro is a huge ugly mess. Those pods sitting on top of the column look stupid, even the font used for the lettering and numbers looks cheap to me. The new Mustang dash and interior are first class in comparison.

Uhhhhh... The FONT looks cheap? That's a new one.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Take a close look at it, I'd like to hear your take on it. To me it's too simple, like I said, purely personal asthetic opinion but it's ugly.

I think the entire car is hideous, but that's just me! LOL! Much preferred the last F-body T/A.

I'd personally rather have a simple, easy to read at a glance font, than something that I have to look at for a moment. Case in point.
Maybe it's just me, but I can't read this one at a glance, it's too confusing.
2009-ford-focus-ses-gauge-cluster.jpg

On the other hand,
154_0803_01_z+high_mileage_jeep_200000_mile_club+gauges.gif

You mean easy to read like the four gauges that the Camaro puts down at knee level?

I agree, easy to read, without taking your eyes off the road is the most important factor. In a perfect world all cars would have the old 911 set up, where all the accessory gauges lined up in a single line when all was good. You could monitor them without even looking at them. But placing gauges at knee level that requires eye movement off the road to look at them is non sense.

As a whole, the Camaro interior and dash look like a cobbled together mish mash mess IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I'd personally rather have a simple, easy to read at a glance font, than something that I have to look at for a moment. Case in point.
Maybe it's just me, but I can't read this one at a glance, it's too confusing.
2009-ford-focus-ses-gauge-cluster.jpg

On the other hand,
154_0803_01_z+high_mileage_jeep_200000_mile_club+gauges.gif

You would have LOVED these old gauges then:

64-olds-dash-1.JPG

Had a similar style speedo in our 86 Wagon.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Hah, my grandparents/moms 1978 Oldsmobile Regency 98 had speedo like that. Always thought it was weird as [censored].

But with digits so large Ray Charles could read them, I'm sure they would be easy to read "at a glance"
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back