Mustang Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm probably going to do the gear oil in my Mustang at some point this winter. Its a basic Ford 8.8 with the trac-lok, although I did upgrade it to the carbon fiber clutch packs a number of years ago. Never had any issues with basic gear lube and the motorcraft additive. About two years ago I had a very good local shop throw some used 3.73 gears in it for me. They did a fine job but advised they were unable to eliminate whine being used gears and all. This is fine, its a weekend car with decent exhaust and a loud stereo and a little whine is fine. That said, what would be the best option for gear oil to reduce this noise? Thinking XXw-140 most likely, and I'll likely stick to dino/mineral oil since this is primarily a fair weather vehicle... Will it even matter much, or just stick with whatever 8xW-140 I can find locally? Sometimes this car does see late season use if road salt hasn't come out yet, whats the lowest temp such a heavy gear oil is good for?

In my experience, it doesn't matter if its 75w90 or 85w140, it's going to whine if it's going to whine and it's going to be equally as noisey.

I used 75w140 in all my fords with the 8.8 because they were' spec'ed for it like my 95 t-bird and late 90's explorers, only time i used 80w90 is in my older f150's

either Valvoline, Mobil, or even Supertech 140's are fine. might wanna try some friction modifier in it regardless if its rated for l/s, It helps with foaming.

The only way to reduce whine is to either machine the gear teeth to the correct profile... or possibly adjust the pinion depth (often, a little "deeper" does help). This can only be done by taking it all apart.

Yes, pick a mineral in 85W140.
If you may, do consider Lucas for its high KV40C of 390 - 400ish cSt.
Tightening pinion shaft locknut by 1/8 - 1/4 turn may help further with the whines .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back