Musk suggests a robot tax ? Basic Universal Income

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have been eating and buying with printed money that was purely faith based value forever now.

If things keep going the way they are, population control and Basic Income would work.

Breaking boulders into gravel with a sledge all day to feed a family has fallen to the wayside.

Maybe invest in art centres and expand "employment" into the finer things.

Child rearing and other aspects of society are not the greatest, people could invest their personal time as "employment" into caring for aged folks, and raising their own kids.

I'm all for it, there is a ton of work to do to beef up other aspects of life now that we arent pushing a plow by hand.

A service economy cannot work with a debt based monetary structure (if at all, but that's the first hurdle)

Quote:
What will happen if robots steal our jobs? It’s a question that’s been on the minds of both the proletariat and the bourgeoisie since the advent of artificial intelligence.

Made the article instantly edgy with those terms...

All this sounds like to me is more extortion.

The article doesn't give much, if any information on this ideology.
But guaranteeing a basic amount of resources puts an incentive not to work... GDP falls etc etc. There are so many factors other than this.

Everyone, including Computer Engineers, will eventually be left behind.

Right now we are embarking on self-driving cars and trucks.

The way basic income works is everyone gets the same boost. Anything you envision beyond that in which you can improve the world around you opens up infinite possibilities in theory.

If you can live off of the Basic amount in a rented room and you choose to eat in a frugal manner, so be it.

But if there is a job opening that doesn't affect your basic amount, such as spending time with Seniors, wildlife conservation, maybe you have no education but you are gifted in organizing music events??

What if you were paid to go to University if you can maintain an 85% average? Would those grads further improve the world?

There are still millions without drinking water. What if you had enough of a Utopia infrastructure in place we can devote man-hours to helping others?

If it were all about extracting resources, polluting, buying and selling, and working until you die, we are already living in a Dystopia that we are working to move away from.

"Employ" more Philosophers so to speak. It makes total sense to me.

There was a day when someone would sit in an elevator all day to operate it in department stores... Technology decade over decade is changing things to the point that we don't have much choice, and I am all for it.

Let's look at or ask all the people currently on the perpetual welfare how many humanitarian activities they are involved in or what they are doing to better themselves or the world around them, since they don't have to go to work every day.
Any guesses what the answer might be?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Let's look at or ask all the people currently on the perpetual welfare how many humanitarian activities they are involved in or what they are doing to better themselves or the world around them, since they don't have to go to work every day.

^That isn't how it works, it isn't Welfare.

With a Basic (or Universal) income you can work as much as you want, with whatever you can contribute in a post-industrial world. Maybe you can teach finger painting to kids.

You get the salary ADDED to the Basic Income, and you improve your lot in life.

The problem with Welfare, is you lose it if you earn income and work, and that is the problem. It is regressive.

Welfare encourages people to do nothing, because it is lost as soon as you do anything.

So with a Universal Income you don't affect any economic principles in place, you just adapt it to the advances in technology. Individual societal contributions will still get you ahead.

It is simply attitudes have to change, and like it or not, this will be our future, so it is what it is.

I would be interested to see what effect these concepts would have on the future of crime as well, and the expense.

If people had more time to improve communities that they lived in rather than pounding out horseshoes or wrapping buggy whips all day, or commuting 2 hours each way to a garbage job...

What would you do if you didn't have to "worry"?

I think we can all come up with many ideas, and that is what is needed in the future.

You are sadly mistaken or have been misled. There are many activities that the welfare people can be doing that do not involve additional income, like volunteering, being involved in their community, bringing new ideas etc. None of that would take away their welfare. Instead, these people end up demanding more and more, cloths, food stamps, free cellphones, internet and the list goes on and on.

Originally Posted By: Falken
It is simply attitudes have to change, and like it or not, this will be our future, so it is what it is.

No, it is people like you, telling everybody that you know best, that thinks so. As long as there are people opposing your "utopia" it will not be the future. There are still millions of honest people that all they want to do is earn an honest living and be left alone, with nobody telling them what to do, how to think or forcing them to support the parasites.

Musk is a perfect example of this attitude. His whole business model revolves around government's money and support. Difference is that instead of demanding food stamps, free internet etc, he demands more grants, more government spending to advance the electric car. More, more, more, without spending his own money and letting his companies stand on their own feet. He knows they would go bankrupt practically overnight.

Musk is a perfect example of this attitude. His whole business model revolves around government's money and support. Difference is that instead of demanding food stamps, free internet etc, he demands more grants, more government spending to advance the electric car. More, more, more, without spending his own money and letting his companies stand on their own feet. He knows they would go bankrupt practically overnight.

Agreed.

You are sadly mistaken or have been misled. There are many activities that the welfare people can be doing that do not involve additional income, like volunteering, being involved in their community, bringing new ideas etc. None of that would take away their welfare. Instead, these people end up demanding more and more, cloths, food stamps, free cellphones, internet and the list goes on and on.

No, it is people like you, telling everybody that you know best, that thinks so. As long as there are people opposing your "utopia" it will not be the future. There are still millions of honest people that all they want to do is earn an honest living and be left alone, with nobody telling them what to do, how to think or forcing them to support the parasites.

^I am on board with you about people need a work ethic, it is a positive thing.

I have no argument against what you are saying, but we need to open our minds up to what "work" will be in the future.

Where I "work", I have an office "job".

In the Summer, we have no AC in the back shop. When someone from the shop comes into the office for a work order or they need something, do they feel what I do for a living sitting on my butt in front of a computer in an air conditioned office is "work"?

Should I do jumping jacks in my cubicle so it looks like I am "working"?

It is this premise of needing to do different things to improve society as a whole that needs to be valued more as "idle time" increases with technological development.

For instance, they predict millions of jobs will be lost when we move from internal combustion engines to the electric vehicle.

The reason? Electric cars have fewer parts.

So if you work at a company making mufflers for a living, your job is doomed. It is happening to everyone.

+1

+1

We will owe our souls to the company store. Where is my welfare check? I get angry when my welfare check is late.

Maybe in 100 years who knows but the idea is so far out there I can't believe the person quoted in the article says it could happen in 2045. Too much of this worlds people live in poverty neither do the resources exist to pay for all of these robots. Ridiculous. Sure we will see more robots doing more and more jobs but not 100%.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Again:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
What people don't see is that money ultimately comes from you and me.

^ Keep in mind EVERYONE gets the same base amount.

There are certain concepts in the future that won't have any sound backing in reality, but still "works" in society.

If not, what would happen to the U.S. economy being Trillions in debt?

Are we, as a society, supposed to roll up our sleeves, grab a shovel, and start digging holes to "pay off" this debt?

Even the concept of "real estate" is completely fiction, but it "works".

Nobody ultimately owns land, but we agree on a system that works for it's "value" and the purchase and sale of it.

A faith based economy underpins everything.

Faith alone ultimately runs the entire world. Can you believe that.

When people "lose faith" look what happens to the stock market.

How real our World is and who works is very relative.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
+1

+2

A more interesting test would be stop ALL welfare, both personal and corporate, and see what happens. Welfare on all sides is what is destroying the US and it is essentially corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back