Music

Who do you think is the worlds best guitarist? Not a trick question but something that arose during dinner last night.

Patman

Staff member
My favorites are Steve Vai, Nuno Bettencourt (from Extreme), Kirk Hammett (Metallica) and Alex Skolnick (Testament) I like heavy metal guitarists that can play with speed, but also have the ability to play melodically as well. Yngwie Malmsteen also comes to mind, not many can match his raw speed!

More of an octave mandolin (with a guitar body) player, Sarah Jarosz is my choice. Second is Natalie Stovall, a fiddle (violin) player...

Yes, very subjective question. Not in any particulatar order: Stevie Ray Vaughan Eric Clapton Yngwie Malmsteen John Petrucci Randy Rhoads

So many extremely talented players. In no particular order: Steve Vai Van Halen Eric Clapton Joe Bonamassa Gary Moore Derek Trucks Duane Alman Dicky Betts Uli John Roth Frank Marino John Mayall BB King This list can go on and on!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/...estine-20101202 Too many of my favorites were left off of this list and I disagree with many of the top honors and the placing of the members that were listed! Al DiMeola Steve Hackett Rich Williams Paco De Lucia
Rolling Stone leans toward the blues. Eddie Van Halen at 70th? Steve Howe somewhere in the 60's? Alex Lifeson not on the list at all, but Kirk Hammett (whom he influenced) at 11?

MolaKule

Staff member
Depends on the Genre: Les Paul (New Guitar types, recording techniques, etc). Eddie Cochran - Rockabilly Chet Atkins - Played the Gretch like no other. Eddie Van Halen - HM stylist

Last edited:
No such thing as worlds best - a silly thing - though a conversation starter for sure. I like Andres Segovia for classical Spanish and Steve Howe for art rock. Technical aptitude alone does not make a great player - witness: Yngwie Malmsteen smile

I don't think there's a best. But these guys should at least be on the list: -Allan Holdsworth -Joe Satriani -Stanley Jordan -Al Di Meola

Had to read the article...it's more based on influence, rather than actually technical abilities. You can't tell me that Joey Ramone is a better guitar player than Alex Liefson from Rush.