Music memories for Music (or whatever its called), lovers .....

SammyChevelleTypeS3

$50 site donor 2023
It is obvious to me there are about as many music lovers here as there are lovers of automobiles , lubrication , maintenance, fixing things and all things mechanical.
So.... I been finding some awesome "old stuff" on the internet I think folks could enjoy and the many youngsters here can see what music once was. No insult to new music (even though for the life of me I don't get most of it). What does someone like Britney Spears? + all of them (doing exactly as she does) on a stage with 40 dancers twerking, bumping and grinding have to do with music? The majority of the performers on stage ARE NOT playing any musical instruments? Most are not even singing.
How is that a musician or music? There should be another category for whatever that is? A circus sideshow? It appears to be some really BAD old style Burlesque / Strip show performances!? :unsure: Truly sorry, I've noticed as people get older (me too) they have so many opinions WE have difficulty keeping them to ourselves!:rolleyes: 100% GUILTY so:
Please ENJOY or DELETE.....

I been finding some awesome "old stuff" on the internet I think folks could enjoy and the many youngsters here can see what music once was. No insult to new music (even though for the life of me I don't get most of it). What does someone like Britney Spears? + all of them (doing exactly as she does) on a stage with 40 dancers twerking, bumping and grinding have to do with music? The majority of the performers on stage ARE NOT playing any musical instruments? Most are not even singing.
How is that a musician or music? There should be another category for whatever that is? A circus sideshow?
For sure. Gimme some of that classic rap from Onyx or Snoop Dogg.

I think Snoop Dog will be in the Super Bowl Halftime show 2/13/2022
Who is performing at the Super Bowl halftime show?:unsure:
The "Super Bowl Halftime Show" will air sometime during Super Bowl LVI. The performance will feature Dr. Dre, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, Snoop Dogg, and 50 Cent.

My plan: I'm bringing slips of paper to my family's gathering on which I'll ask everyone to rate the half-time show.
I expect a muddled mash-up of "aspiring coolness" designed with the hope of attracting the younger (next) generation of viewers.

Recently, the resistance to football injuries (nothing new) caused the NFL to publicly freak out because kids who don't play football today are less likely to watch it on TV in the future.
They got the news outlets to play along by describing the demise of a great game, not that a huge business fears reduced ratings in the future.

This is the kind of pernicious, evil cancer people should be aware of. It's similar to the alarm, "Ford ain't makin' cars no more", pumped out LOUDLY by broadcasters and swallowed whole by dolts.

Truly, what does anybody care whether the league/networks/players make millions or billions 15 years from now?

Don't let them pump their feces into your head.

You know you're small-minded and out of touch with music when you bring up Britney Spears when talking about modern music :ROFLMAO:

My plan: I'm bringing slips of paper to my family's gathering on which I'll ask everyone to rate the half-time show.
I expect a muddled mash-up of "aspiring coolness" designed with the hope of attracting the younger (next) generation of viewers.

Recently, the resistance to football injuries (nothing new) caused the NFL to publicly freak out because kids who don't play football today are less likely to watch it on TV in the future.
They got the news outlets to play along by describing the demise of a great game, not that a huge business fears reduced ratings in the future.

This is the kind of pernicious, evil cancer people should be aware of. It's similar to the alarm, "Ford ain't makin' cars no more", pumped out LOUDLY by broadcasters and swallowed whole by dolts.

Truly, what does anybody care whether the league/networks/players make millions or billions 15 years from now?

Don't let them pump their feces into your head.
I truly think the NFL, just like NASCAR & a few other sports see the handwriting on the wall. Today its apparent thru their ads and silly things they pull, (patronizing the public in most cases) that they are all grasping at straws in a semi panic to figure out why the fan bases are shrinking across all of sports. They are all in serious trouble. I do not expect them / any to go out of business. But the days of cashing in a King's ransom of the general public's disposable cash is ending. Reason = when all of those sports were starting out.... there was little to no real organized entertainment for the masses. Tv itself was fairly new and people flocked to both Tv and sports in general. Today there is so much more available to kids and young adults who are the main target audience for most media driven entertainment. Lots of young teens and adults avoid Tv. Too many other things for them to do. Who has the most disposable income to spend? Ages from teens thru late twenty year olds , maybe 30s too make up the majority. Not all but the majority. Problem is , those age groups did not grow up like older generations with limited choices. Today and for the last 30 years there has been major competition. Young people don't give a poop about who won the Hesiman trophy in 1999 or who won the league MVP in 2005 or the Daytona 500 etc.... they have their heads in Iphones / Playstation / YouTube / Twitter / .... social media and on and on. Most people do not even spend time out of the house anymore. You barley see kids playing or biking these days.... Growing up, you could possibly see 4-5 yards or fields in towns with kids playing football or on the basketball courts.... Find that today. Kids are not growing up following sports. Its understandable. The world simply has too many other things to offer. Major sports better figure out a new way to draw the young in or the cash bonanza they grew accustomed to will slowly keep shrinking....

You know you're small-minded and out of touch with music when you bring up Britney Spears when talking about modern music :ROFLMAO:
LMAO at me. You are 100% correct. I know NOTHING about "new music." The older we get , the more new things have a way of leaving us behind. Just a part of nature. Lots of sharp , vibrant older folks can keep up. Sorry to admit not one of them here. ;) The only reason B.S. even comes to mind is 365 days a years when I open internet I am slapped up side the head with another click bait story about her or the other agitation that the internet has an obsession with married to John Legend! OMG. I am not even gonna type that name. You know the one the internet has to tell us everytime she blows her nose or paints her toe nails etc? :rolleyes:

Well, she was aesthetically pleasing.

My daughter will be 28 this year, but back in the day she liked Lady Ga Ga. As soon as I saw her, I said she was a copy-cat.
My daughter disagreed until I showed her Dale Bozzio from Missing Persons.

With the rise of MTV (and to a lesser extent, Much Music here in the GWN) and the Music Video, pop music became as much about the aesthetic as it did the selection of a beat and style that would resonate with your average listener. This is where the Gaga/Spears/Perry schtick comes into play with the theatrics, background dancers and the like. Yes, the comments about it somewhat relating to old school burlesque are not off the mark, sex sells.

If you look at early efforts by more traditional style bands in terms of fitting into the MTV framework, Metallica's video for "One" is an example of what they came up with:

You'd have the band, doing its thing, while alternating to dramatic scenes or content related to the lyrics. The band itself wasn't partaking in the cinema, the producer was trying to add a visual element to the music. This got better with time and some bands would put themselves into the theatrics and then carry this over into their stage presentations. Rammstein is a fantastic example of that, their concerts are pure theatre.

Another thing that really took off during this era was the girl/boy band. Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Boys 2 Men (sp), TLC, New Kids on the Block, Destiny's Child...etc. Unlike with legacy bands where there were instruments being played by the members, this was all computer generated background music where all the members participated in singing and dancing, and it was this style from the start, there was no adaptation curve, the visual component was a key facet of the band's "style", because a large part of their exposure would be through TV.

Through all its phases, pop music has never been about complex music and deep lyrics. It is catchy, typical simple in both music and lyric and is not meant conjure up deep emotion or profound thought in the listener. This is what has proven to appeal to the general population and is easy to market, creating a "brand" out of the artist who may not actually be all that talented, but is somebody who you can sell the image/presentation of.

Now of course this is not always the case, Lady Gaga is actually a classical pianist, who was quite good, but that was never a genre that was going to elevate her career. Jennifer Lopez is extremely attractive, despite not being a great actor or singer, and she's had very successful careers in both due to her appeal. Amy Lee from Evanescence has written some very deep, introspective songs about her personal demons (battle with depression and the like) and these were pop hits, despite the band not really catering toward the pop genre. Metallica's Black Album is one of the most successful of all time, having numerous hits despite it also not fitting the pop mold. There are these exceptions that transcend the "rules" of pop and put bands with legitimate talent in the spotlight where the public is eager to consume their material.

As a listener, I have a penchant for deep lyrics and heavy music. I grew up listening to Metallica and memorized and analyzed their lyrics. I was introduced to Nightwish by a member on here and immediately fell in love with them for the same reason. I want a song to make me think and make me feel, mindless garbage drives me nuts which is why I avoid rap, hiphop, pop, most country...etc. Of course not all of that music is trash. Tupac Shakur was a gifted musician who wrote some excellent lyrics, but you don't have material like that being produced today and becoming mainstream like his did.

Probably one of the best examples of bad pop is the Alanis Morrissette song "ironic", where, ironically, the events depicted were not in fact ironic. The song became a hit regardless of that fact because Jane and Joe Average aren't even aware of that being the case, and so it doesn't bother them. That's pop in a nutshell.

while i love old music as much as anyone, there is still very good music. in fact, there is way more bands and way more good music being made today. it is simply not as popular and you have to search for it. in the seventies progressive music was mainstream. nowadays it is underground. but it is still there and stronger than ever. we are in the golden age of music. you only need to be open and to search. i still discover old bands every week and new bands every week.

Time have changed. Here is a picture of a starting quarterback smoking and drinking at halftime during superbowl one.

I think most will agree, music and sports is more commercial, show , and marketing than they were 50 years ago.

smoke super bowl.jpg

while i love old music as much as anyone, there is still very good music. in fact, there is way more bands and way more good music being made today. it is simply not as popular and you have to search for it. in the seventies progressive music was mainstream. nowadays it is underground. but it is still there and stronger than ever. we are in the golden age of music. you only need to be open and to search. i still discover old bands every week and new bands every week.

It is a shame that so many of the very good current music, bands & artist you speak of are almost banned from the general public by promoters. The promotors + the movers and shakers who have nearly total control of the present day media / social networking avenues that artist need to get exposure thru, have an agenda that has ZERO to do with music or quality. There are stories on the internet by folks in the know who tell how and why it ended up the way it is today. Those promoters & CEOs are using the type of music (90% of it) they push on the public to advance their profits from the last place people would expect. Well some of you would not be the least surprised as I really was more saddened than shocked. Its just the sorry way of the world and business today. Totally zero morals by anyone in charge of things these days.

Back