Music for those who grew up in 1980s Europe...

In 1980 I was in my mid-teens and loved punk, ska, and new wave. We went to England on a family trip and I looked everywhere for the cool punk stuff I was hearing about on the Rodney on the Roq show. I wasn’t leaving until I got a pair of Doc Martens and a Harrington Jacket.
Very little punk merch to be found in rural England unfortunately, I saw all these badges that said “who killed JR?” Or “I killed Jr” and I thought they were talking about Johnny Rotten. All I remember from the radio was this annoying song.

oh I almost forgot, I did hear the Sex Pistols on the radio, finally.
Not the song I was expectin.

In 1980 I was in my mid-teens and loved punk, ska, and new wave. We went to England on a family trip and I looked everywhere for the cool punk stuff I was hearing about on the Rodney on the Roq show. I wasn’t leaving until I got a pair of Doc Martens and a Harrington Jacket.
Very little punk merch to be found in rural England unfortunately, I saw all these badges that said “who killed JR?” Or “I killed Jr” and I thought they were talking about Johnny Rotten. All I remember from the radio was this annoying song.

oh I almost forgot, I did hear the Sex Pistols on the radio, finally.
Not the song I was expectin.

I had to go back and edit by original post. I had no idea so many people actually covered that song, which was originally a Boyce and Hart demo.

Last edited:
I also love the 80-84 period. My parents got MTV when it first came out in 1980 and would leave it on all day. I was 4 years old at the time.
You got it spot on!👍 80-84. I was 11, and MTV would play a lot of obscure bands you’d never hear otherwise. All we’d hear on the radio was AM radio-friendly top 40. MTV would play a lot of new wave stuff the radio wouldn’t.

After 84, 80s music got way too commercial annd boring imo.

You got it spot on!👍 80-84. I was 11, and MTV would play a lot of obscure bands you’d never hear otherwise. All we’d hear on the radio was AM radio-friendly top 40. MTV would play a lot of new wave stuff the radio wouldn’t.

After 84, 80s music got way too commercial annd boring imo.
I agree! That early 80's music and MTV period were great. Love it.

Back