Mushroom Cloud In North Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N. Korea

Saturday, September 11, 2004
SEOUL, South Korea - A large explosion occurred in the northern part of North Korea, sending a huge mushroom cloud into the air on an important anniversary of the communist regime, a South Korean news agency reported Sunday.

The South Korean government said it was trying to confirm the report.

The Yonhap news agency, citing an unidentified diplomatic source in Seoul, said the explosion happened at 11 a.m. local time Thursday in Yanggang province near the border with China. The blast in Kim Hyong Jik county left a crater big enough to be noticed by a satellite, the source said.

"We understand that a mushroom-shaped cloud about 2.2 miles to 2.5 miles in diameter was monitored during the explosion," the source said. Yonhap described the source as "reliable."

Thursday was the anniversary of the 1948 foundation of the communist regime. Leader Kim Jong Il uses the occasion to stage performances and other events to bolster loyalty among the impoverished North Korean population.

Experts have speculated that North Korea might use a major anniversary to conduct a nuclear-related test, though there was no immediate indication that the reported explosion on Thursday was linked to Pyongyang's efforts to develop nuclear weapons.

"It remains unclear whether it was a deliberately planned nuclear test or it was just an accident," the source in Seoul told Yonhap. "But it doesn't seem to be an ordinary explosion."

The source said the explosion took place "not far" from a military base that holds North Korea's Taepo-dong ballistic missiles. North Korea, which has a large missile arsenal and more than a million soldiers, is dotted with military installations.

The damage and crater left by the explosion in Kim Hyong Jik county was big enough to be noticed by a satellite, a source in Beijing told Yonhap.

North Korea was founded on Sept. 9, 1948. Leader Kim Jong Il uses the anniversary to stage performances and other events to bolster loyalty among the impoverished North Korean population.

South Korea's Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said the government was trying to confirm the report about the explosion.

"I am not aware of details such as the size of the damage," he was quoted as saying by Yonhap after a National Security Council meeting.

On Saturday, North Korea said recent revelations that South Korea conducted secret nuclear experiments involving uranium and plutonium made the communist state more determined to pursue its own nuclear programs.

The South Korean experiments, conducted in 1982 and 2000, were likely to further complicate the already stalled six-nation talks aimed at dismantling the North's nuclear development. South Korea has said the experiments were purely for research and did not reflect a desire to develop weapons.

On April 22, train wagons at a railway station exploded in the North Korean town of Ryongchon, killing 160 people and injuring an estimated 1,300, according to some estimates. The blast was believed to have been sparked by a train laden with oil and chemicals that hit power lines.

The explosion on Thursday was bigger than the Ryongchon train explosion, which devastated a wide area, Yonhap said.

If it was an above ground test, It would already be known by the radiation drifting in the trade winds. Much like chernobyl, where there was no 'cloud' the airbourne radiation released was picked up in europe with 2 hours after the accident happened. And picked up in the US about 24 hours later.

I dont think ANYONE thinks N.Korea was bombed.We just wonder if they are up to some testing of a weapon or weapon component.

quote:

I will have to have the site visited by an outside source before I will think that the explosion was not a nuclear explosive test of some sort.
It seems that others are also very suspicious of the blast.

Surveilance satelites used by the U.S. Government can detect large explosions and heat. Also they can tell if it was nuclear or not, by it's shape and heat signature.

The govenment already knows, so I wonder why they are keeping it a secret?

If N korea has nukes we better get on the stick and invade Iran immediately!!!!!!!

And, one reserach institute predicts 3 MILLION illegal aliens will invade the USA in the upcoming year!!!!!

Quick!!!!!!!! Invade Saudi Arabia!!!!!!!!!

I will have to have the site visited by an outside source before I will think that the explosion was not a nuclear explosive test of some sort.
It seems that others are also very suspicious of the blast.
The following is a CNN poll.

Do you believe North Korea's explanation that a mushroom cloud was caused by demolition for a hydroelectric plant?

Yes 22% 2587 votes

No 78% 9245 votes

Total: 11832 votes

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Indeed. Leveling mountains by a country that is short of food......we better probe with Geiger counters...

Two thoughts on the cloud.

I think it was some kind of an accident. NC would use any event that big as a show of their glory and power and would be making all sorts of claims about what a glorious thing they did by now. I'm surprised that haven't made up a story to fit the event. That makes the forest fire theory, as far fetched as it sounds, almost plausible.

Some other country, S. Korea, China, Japan or the US, knows for sure by now if it was nuclear or not. The question is, are they telling us what they know.

I say we look north...to the sands of Alberta! it's obviously our manifest destiny to possess the entire continent. We need those hydrocarbons, so we have a right to them!!
Seriously, we should have done something about NK long ago. Any military action now is going to be costly. At this time, we can't realistically even invade Iran, while pacifying Iraq. I wouldn't want to be living in Seoul...

But aside the silly political BS above.

NK has had two LARGE explosions in the last couple months. Both are non-nuclear, so let's end that. However, short of nukes, bigass explosions are bigass explosions. I think something nefarious is going on. They are compounding something or moving something......from rocket propellant to experimental explosives.....very high energy potential, but very unstable. NK excuses are very thin.

How is China weighing in? Forget the vote in HK, it's over they will be assimilated. Does China enjoy this type of neighbor? Do they fund them? Will they help or hinder them? China wants to be the beacon of the (Olympic) light.......or is that just another fireball?

No, seriously.
What can we do? An airstrike might work, if we have a target, but that would certainly prompt the North to invade, and it would get pretty nasty over there pretty quickly. We are already stretched pretty thin.

Seriously?

NK is a mine pit of a death camp of a he!! hole.

We should meet with world leaders and agree to watch them very closely TOGETHER. I don't know if we should/could stop their weapons shipments, but that would be a start. Not joking - get a UN mandate that says any export of terrorist smelling weapons will be subject to missile strikes at least.

Humanity lovers should picket the world for the conditions in NK. We should buy nothing from them and supply them with nothing but enriched rice if they need it.

Then wrap up the BS in Iraq. Tell the Iraqi people that they can have their infested country back if they can elect some leaders, control the outside instigators and not have a bloodbath.

I don't know if an invasion of NK is wise or warranted, but if they insist we have more target density there than most any other nation.

I think you may be right, but at the moment, we can invade anybody.
Some fear that Japan and S. Korea may be provoked into making their own nukes.
Maybe China could/would put some presuure on from the Norht?

from articles I've read over the last few years, China tends to be the go-between between the US, and NK. They don't really fund the regime anymore, other than basic aid I believe, and have difficulty dealing with them.

The last thing China wants or needs is a war on their doorstep.
Firstly, you will have millions of refugees streaming over the border. This will cost the Chinese millions to house, feed and clothe them. Then the massive cost of rebuilding once it is over, let alone the human cost (which frankly, they could care less about)

China wants to avoid this at all costs.

I'm starting to believe that the amazing amount of inaction by everyone external of NK is a sop to China.
China is without doubt the largest emerging market, and there is no doubt that it will usurp the US as the worlds major economic power, probably fairly soon.

The US wants access to this massive market, as do the rest of the worlds economies, and to stir up a war, just as this market is taking off will be counter-productive economically.

The world will continue to sit and wait, and hope that NK implodes politically sooner, rather than later, so that the rest of east Asia can go on doing what it has done forever. Trade.

As an aside, NK is one of the major exporters of illicit drugs to the west, and as far as I know, is the only country where this happens at a government level. It is one of their few sources of hard currency, other than weapons.
This is where a blockade could be very effective, however, they are so unpredictable, thanks to their amazing paranoia, this could lead to military consequences as well.
A massive shipment of drugs were seized on an NK freighter off the Australian east coast last year, yet there were no formal protests to NK, just some token posturing for the local media. Why ?

I suspect there is a h#ll of a lot happening behind the scenes we aren't privy to.
NK are strange, governments can't deal with them in a normal diplomatic manner. NK tend to read things the wrong way, and react like a two year old, although some of this is to achieve political ends.
Only several weeks ago, the Australian foreign minister, Alexander Downer visited PyongYang, and gave them a blunt warning about the coming US election. NK firmly believe a Kerry led government will back off and allow NK some concessions, which Alexander Downer firmly rejected and pushed home to them to expect more of the same from either potential President.
With the close relationship that exists between the US and Australia, Downer would have been primed by Washington to deliver this message.
I took this as another example of how NK view the west from a totally skewed standpoint. 50 years of social engineering in one instance.

just my 2c.

Rick.

PS, here's a great link to the CIA site on North Korea.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
I think you may be right, but at the moment, we can invade anybody.
Some fear that Japan and S. Korea may be provoked into making their own nukes.

S.Korea has at least dabbled, if not actively pursued it.

quote:

South Korea says the inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency will visit two state nuclear centers where South Korean scientists produced small amounts of plutonium in 1982 and enriched uranium in 2000.

web page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back