Muscle M-10 Metal Treatment oil additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Labled MPC Muscle MT-10 Metal Treatment.

My dads friend claims a good 1-2 mpg raise in fuel economy in his Olds 98 with a 3800 engine. He gave my dad a bottle to try. Anyone ever use the stuff? I have my dad keep to a diet of MC 5w-20 or 5w-30 in his crown vic. Any reason to put this in with it?

http://www.musclemt10.com/index.html

Most members, including myself, do not believe in these oil additives. The oil blenders put everything you need in the oil, no need to go playing chemist and start sticking in your own stuff. Mostly just a "feel good" move to use them, and usually the results never get quantified, it's mostly just butt dyno stuff like "It feels like it has more power", you get the idea.

There are a few on here who use some long time products like MMO, but most oil treatments, like the one you presented, end up doing nothing except making your wallet lighter.

It sounds like it may use Chlorinated Paraffin as an EP additive.
This might work OK in a static, Industrial gear train, but is Bad News for an Automotive application.

I couldn't find an MSDS on the web site. While I like to keep an open mind, even products that do "work" to some degree tend to not pay for themselves in avoided costs. That 1-2mpg, if true, may require some $40+s&h purchase ever 5000 miles to be retained.

I mean, think if Z-Max did everything that it claimed, you were into something like $100 for any real gains in fuel economy to compete with. The hype provided the rest of the benefits with the imaginary butt dyno.

Getting someone to spend $50 for $8 worth of benefit is the magic oil here.

Well guys, my dad chose to ignore all your advice and give it a try in a E350 Club Wagon. All the trips I went on and driven we peaked a 15.4 MPG. This is with a 351 engine and 3.55 gears. These gears make it miserable on the highway. Constantly in and out of O/D every little hill.

Anyways the additive brought the fuel mileage to 17.1MPG which has never gotten that high ever. Even on the smoothest highway trip.

I picked up a tiny bit of fuel economy after we drained the 140w axle fluid out of it and replaced with synthetic 75w-90, but that only got it into the 15's.

I find it hard to beleive the additive worked as I too don;t beleive in additives (except autorx). I gues his friend with the 3800 wasn;t lying.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
Well guys, my dad chose to ignore all your advice and give it a try in a E350 Club Wagon. All the trips I went on and driven we peaked a 15.4 MPG. This is with a 351 engine and 3.55 gears. These gears make it miserable on the highway. Constantly in and out of O/D every little hill.

Anyways the additive brought the fuel mileage to 17.1MPG which has never gotten that high ever. Even on the smoothest highway trip.

I picked up a tiny bit of fuel economy after we drained the 140w axle fluid out of it and replaced with synthetic 75w-90, but that only got it into the 15's.

I find it hard to beleive the additive worked as I too don;t beleive in additives (except autorx). I gues his friend with the 3800 wasn;t lying.

Sure, many additives can achieve such improvements, due to friction reduction. But there may be a price to be paid, reducing the life of your engine.
As I said, Chlorinated paraffin has been around since the 30's, it has it's uses, But not in MY cars engine!

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69

Sure, many additives can achieve such improvements, due to friction reduction. But there may be a price to be paid, reducing the life of your engine.
As I said, Chlorinated paraffin has been around since the 30's, it has it's uses, But not in MY cars engine!

Hence the reason I am not going to use in my vehicles. I will let my dad be the guinea pig.............

As I understand it, CP's can form acids when contaminated with water (a natural by product of combustion) But I wonder if this becomes a problem if short OCI's are carried out, such as a race car? Are CP's used in race applications, and if not, why not?

Originally Posted By: expat
As I understand it, CP's can form acids when contaminated with water (a natural by product of combustion) But I wonder if this becomes a problem if short OCI's are carried out, such as a race car? Are CP's used in race applications, and if not, why not?

I'm unsure of where over based CP's are used. I would tend to think that if they require frequent OCI's to remain corrosively innocuous, then their cost would tend to neutralize any fuel economy advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back