Murray mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried to start up my mower and it will not start. It will turn over and almost start, but it will blow blue smoke and die. I have already replaced the spark plugs.Any ideas why it wont start?

Originally Posted By: sparkynacho
I just tried to start up my mower and it will not start. It will turn over and almost start, but it will blow blue smoke and die. I have already replaced the spark plugs.Any ideas why it wont start?

spark plugs? How many did you change?
wink.gif

Try squirting some fresh gas into the spark plug hole and see if it fires for a few seconds.

I suspect that you have let the old gas turn bad over the winter.

Yes I let the old gas sit in the carb. I never had a problem before, but there is always a first time. I will drain and pour some fresh gas. I hope this works and thanks for the quick reply.It is only one spark plug. hehe.

You might need to spray some carb cleaner on the carb to.... um... clean it. Gotta get rid of the gunk.

Taking the bowl off the carburator and cleaning out the old gas sometimes works for me. You can also see if the float is working properly. Some mowers don't have a float in the carb. If you can take the carb off and spray carb cleaner in all the ports and stuff it will run a lot better. The varnish left from old gas can really gum it up. I also mix about 2 gallons of gas with a can of berryman's carb cleaner. This will really clean it out during the first few hours of operation during the season.

If it's been sitting all winter oil may have oozed around the rings. Could pull the spark plug and crank it with it missing. bet you'll find oil bridged the gap in the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back