Multiple websites shipping Moog parts advertised as AC Delco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I've run into something really strange and I was wondering if anyone else has run into this. I ordered 2 AC Delco professional upper control arms for my '95 Chevy G20 conversion van on Rock Auto. The passenger side came correct, but the driver side was clearly a different control arm. I looked into it and it perfectly matched the pictures of a Moog R-series control arm (which costs 1/2 of the AC Delco control arm which is what I paid for). I emailed customer service, got a return label, boxed it up and sent it back. The replacement I got was another control arm, not AC Delco, not Moog. I believe it's a Mevotech but was too impatient to figure it out. I emailed Rock Auto and they said to send it back for a refund as they would not be able to guarantee that they would be able to get me the right part. Fine, I understand, I'd rather have them tell me instead of have me reboxing and shipping back packages.

I go on CARiD and buy the AC Delco control arm as it has a good price. I get the control arm and it's THE SAME MOOG CONTROL ARM. It's shipped from the same distributor address as Rock Auto as well. 100 Rose Ave. Hempstead, NY. Looks to be a company called "AirCore". I'm furious now as it's been a month and I still have only one control arm. I email customer service and send the part back and get a refund.

I go on Amazon and go to "AC Delco". I assume that I can't go wrong here because it's literally the AC Delco seller, the price isn't great but I just want the right control arm at this point. I get the package a few days later and IT'S THE SAME MOOG CONTROL ARM. Like, you've got to be kidding me. 3 different company's and they all ship the same Moog control arm? I feel like I'm going insane but it's so obvious that it's a Moog control arm, every single website shows pictures and a 4 year old can tell that the parts I received are the Moog arms and not the AC Delco arms.

I'm at a loss for what to do. I would gladly send back the correct AC Delco control arm that I received and buy 2 Moog control arms (for the correct price, not the price of the AC Delco arms), but it's past the 30 day ROck Auto return policy. So now I'm forced to get the AC Delco arm because I want them to match, but I'm sick of packing and control arms because shipping companies can't get their s**t together. Thinking of buying from the dealership but I know the arm is going to cost $300 if I buy it from there. Has anyone else run into this or am I insane?

You may find that the arm from the dealer is different as well. The ones I have bought were labeled GM original parts, not AC Delco. At least for my application, it was made in Canada instead of Taiwan or China.

AC Delco just reboxes existing parts anyway, sometimes from various suppliers. Stock photos don't necessarily match either. In the past, AC Delco aftermarket used a lot of Spicer parts (which was later renamed to Raybestos Chassis). Guess who bought Raybestos Chassis -- that would be Federal Mogual, a.k.a. Moog.

AC DELCO does not make any parts - they simply rebox parts into their boxes. They source from many suppliers and this is one reason I don't buy many AC DELCO parts anymore - you are just paying the middle man for the same part you can get direct for less.

That's so incredibly infuriating. What is the point in even putting pictures then? I don't understand how it makes any sense. If I knew this I would have just paid the $75 for the cheaper control arms, I didn't know spending $150 just "increased my odds" of getting the one that I actually want.. Just wish I was still within the return policy of Rock Auto because now I'm stuck with an AC Delco arm and I can't get another one. I guess I'll be buying 2 Moog arms and putting the AC Delco one on eBay.

Pictures are representative?

When my wife's HHR needed a replacement control arm it seemed like most brands used steel ones vs the aluminum OE one. "Service part".

Originally Posted by eljefino
Pictures are representative?

When my wife's HHR needed a replacement control arm it seemed like most brands used steel ones vs the aluminum OE one. "Service part".

This is the crux of the issue, in my case the pictures are not representative. I purchased a $150 control arm and received a $75 control arm. I could have ordered the $75 control arm and I would have been fine with it but I don't like the idea of paying double and not getting what is advertised.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
AC DELCO does not make any parts - they simply rebox parts into their boxes. They source from many suppliers and this is one reason I don't buy many AC DELCO parts anymore - you are just paying the middle man for the same part you can get direct for less.

yep. The acdelco warerpumps I have been getting were made in china. Look to be just like the ones at the parts store for 1/2 the cost.

I am pretty sure all those parts are by now discontinued. This may be a case where you have to take what you can get or rebuild the old one(s), it sucks but sometimes that's the way it is when you deal with something almost 25 years old.

This

Originally Posted by Trav
I am pretty sure all those parts are by now discontinued. This may be a case where you have to take what you can get or rebuild the old one(s), it sucks but sometimes that's the way it is when you deal with something almost 25 years old.
I just re-read his original post and saw that he's referring to a '95 vehicle so yeah, at this point you take what you get. Even going to a dealer is likely to get a re-labeled part or they might not even hide it anymore.

Yep most AC Delco has been raybestos. But I believe raybestos is making fewer suspension parts. So AC Delco is shopping around most likely.

I would simply use the new arms you have. Yeah, I know, they don't "match"... but they're both new. If it can be aligned to specs, what does it matter?

Just put the Delco part on one side and the Moog part on the other side and be done with it . The vehicle will never know the difference . This is not rocket science .

I completely understand, but on a vehicle that old, you have to get what you can get. One of my vendors switch from carrying Moog to Mevotech for all suspension parts. I told them I won't be using them anymore.

At least RockAuto took it back.

I've had a similar issue with RockAuto, where they sent a part that didn't look like the picture. I asked to return it and their response was something to the extent of, "Sorry, the picture doesn't mean anything, material are attributes subject to change without notice, depending on changes in the manufacturer's production."

What's the point of having a picture then?!?!?!
confused2.gif

I've always presumed that many pictures of things like auto parts are "representative" and not a picture of the exact part.

ACDelco buys from Moog...Moog buys from Raybestos...Raybestos buys from Monroe...Monroe buys from TRW...TRW buys from Standard Motor Products...Standard Motor Products buys from Motorcraft...Motorcraft buys from Bosch...Bosch buys from pick-a-name... Especially for older vehicles where the numbers are just not there for everyone to build there own version, the market will rely on a limited number of sources to manufacture and re-box "their" parts. No way to guarantee who made a part in a box or where it was made. Two "identical" parts sitting next to each other on the shelf could have the same part number and packaging, but different manufacture and country of origin.

That's just the reality for some parts. But, in the vast majority of cases, does it really matter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back