Multiple question post on oil recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few oil quandries that I hope somebody can help with:

1) I'm running an AutoRX treatment in my GF's 98 Beetle (800 miles so far on an extremely sludged engine) an my 01 F150 (50 miles so far on a fairly clean engine). My gut reaction for a dino rinse for these was a deisel engine oil, so I bought some 15w-40 Delo 400. With the cold weather of New England will this damage the vehicles? The truck does short comutes each day(15 min each way) and the car does longer trips about twice a week. Considering the mileage we put on, I expect to change them in late Dec.

2) My mother just bought a 2004 Accord Coupe EX with the V6/6 speed combo. Does Honda have a sludge issue like Toyota with their V6's? This car will be doing extreme duty with a 2 mile commute back and forth each day. For example, she had a 2000 accord with only 23k on it as of yesterday. Sees hwy use once a month if that.
I'm thinking M1 0w-20 for warranty purposes. Any thoughts? Thanks!

[ October 20, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: crashz ]

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I wouldn't use a 15w40 in the winter in maine ....

offtopic.gif

FYI,
MA = Massachusetts
ME = Maine

[ October 20, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: MikeySoft ]

Running 15w-40 won't neccesarily damage the vehicles...I know on late-model Volvo's, that you can run 15w-40 down to +15F with no problems.

You'll just have to see what happens...if you notice a lot of engine noise, bad oil pressure, very hard starting (etc, etc...), then change it out for a lighter weight.

May I suggest the $12.88/gallon Rotella-T 5w-40?? Could run that year 'round even after the ARX runs...

Yeah, those Honda's call for twenty-weights now, right? If so, 0w-20 would be your best bet for a real synthetic.

[ October 20, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by MikeySoft:

quote:

I wouldn't use a 15w40 in the winter in maine ....

offtopic.gif

FYI,
MA = Massachusetts
ME = Maine

Close enough........both cold.
grin.gif

I wouldn't use a syn (even a GIII) for the rinse cycle.

[ October 20, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

quote:

I wouldn't use a syn (even a GIII) for the rinse cycle.

Well, at least I know the difference between Mass. and Maine.
grin.gif

Why wouldn't you consider a GIII for a rinse cycle? If your wanting a mixed-fleet oil, your options are kinda limited (5w-40/15w-40).

Ok, ok...I'll say that if the 15w-40 turns out to be too much, you'll have to switch over to a "regular" passenger-car oil, either Chevron Supreme or Pennzoil in 5w-30.

I would imagine that most GIII oils have esters in them for solvency for the additive package. Frank says not to use anything with esters in it, with the auto-rx, unless you are going to run it 3 times as long or something.

1) I'd use your choice of any standard 5W-30 for the rinse routine. As you say, the weather's cold for the 15W-40.

2) The Honda is subject to normal oil deterioration from the short, cool trips. I'd suggest a conventional 5W-20 with 3000 mile or 6 month oil changes.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by BlueBird:
Just for my own education , how can you tell the Beetle engine has sludge or any engine for that matter ?

Well I've posted about a few times so I'll save everyone from the long story, but this car has gone 33K without an oil change (before she met me) and she has probably averaged 3 oil changes in the 65K that she's had it. Besides that the oil cap gets all covered in goo and the dipstick is stained pretty badly.

Thanks for the replies. I really want to try that Delo, but I have a jug of Penz 5w-30 that will probably be the oil thats used this winter. The Beetle will get the supply of Delo through next summer and my truck will go back on its current diet of M1.

My mother lives about 3 hrs away, so taking care of her car is kinda difficult. I think I will stick to M1 0w-20 at 5k or 6 month intervals. I like the synthetic because it gives me a little flexiblilty when I can't be there right at 3k miles.

[ October 20, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: crashz ]

I'm using the M1 5W-30 in the Accord. You can use this oil and still be warranty worry free. Do a search under warranty posts, and that will answer your warranty questions.

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
I have a few oil quandries that I hope somebody can help with:

1) I'm running an AutoRX treatment in my GF's 98 Beetle (800 miles so far on an extremely sludged engine) an my 01 F150 (50 miles so far on a fairly clean engine). My gut reaction for a dino rinse for these was a deisel engine oil, so I bought some 15w-40 Delo 400. With the cold weather of New England will this damage the vehicles?

Wow, and I was hesitant to use a 10w-30 in my '01 F150 (4.6ltr). Question....is your F-Series a Triton v8? If so it should call for 5w-20. Why would you want to use a 15w-40 especially given the winter climate where you live?

I'm not trying to be argumentative just curious.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

Wow, and I was hesitant to use a 10w-30 in my '01 F150 (4.6ltr). Question....is your F-Series a Triton v8? If so it should call for 5w-20. Why would you want to use a 15w-40 especially given the winter climate where you live?
[/QUOTE]

No, mine is the 4.2L V-6. This is basically the 3.8 that is bored and stroked. No OHC's to worry about on start-up.It was spec'd with 5w-20, but I could never find 5w-20 until the past year and a half, so I ran 5w-30. The thinner oils make it vibrate when its warm, even M1 5w-30 as its just a little too thin. This motor loves a thick 30 weight, it smoothes right out. I'm a little hesitant about dumping 15w-40 in, but somebody here put D1 5w-40 in his 4.2 and loves it.

Basically I wanted the cleaning of the deisel oil for the rinse cycle of the AutoRX. Frank is specific about using a quality dino for the rinse, and I took it one step further by going with the Delo. So far most people have advised me that 15w-40 would be to thick for the winter and I'm tending to agree. Think I'll rinse with 5w-30 Penz and save the Delo for the Beetle this summer.

[ October 20, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: crashz ]

Ah, understood. And I would be inclined to agree with those who feel a 15-40 may not be the best choice for winters in your neck of the woods.

Good luck and happy motor cleansing
smile.gif

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
[qb]

-*-*-*-*-*-*-* quality dino for the rinse, and I took it one step further by going with the Delo. So far most people have advised me that 15w-40 would be to thick for the winter and I'm tending to agree. Think I'll rinse with 5w-30 Penz and save the Delo for the Beetle this summer.

Delo makes a 10-30, and theres Shell Fleet oils too... either one!

I wouldn't use a 15w40 in the winter in maine.....probably a 5w30. I haven't heard of any inherent sludge issues with honda, and I would go with a 20w or I wouldn't tell the dealer any different if I chose something heavier. Maine summers shouldn't be that hot, and there are alot of excellent UOA's posted on 20 weights.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back