Multiple AT drain and refill a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding ATF color, Chrysler put out a TSB about their ATF+4:

"FLUID COLOR Mopar ATF+4® is a World Class Fluid having exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4 is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4 also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4 fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not support a fluid change."

- I wonder if other modern fluids are the same?

- How much does it cost to have a shop do a complete fluid exchange vs. doing multiple drain and fills? You can guess what I'm thinking here.

- Finally, just an observation. I am shocked at the LARGE percentage of shops (including dealers) in my area that use the BG system, even when a vehicle is under a long powertrain warranty. My daughter had her Kia fluid done recently at 50K (100K warranty) and the KIA dealer used BG).

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I love the engineers know best arguments. These mythical creatures, same as scientists, are incapable of making bad decisions and impervious to the outside influence.

I've never known an Engineer to get EXACTLY what he/she wanted in terms of durability and serviceability in a piece of equipment, which is why I have little faith in that statement a few posts above. The folks in design, procurement, etc, will cheapen it to save a buck every time.

I live this every shift in my line of work.

The thing we're really fighting here is perfectionist syndrome. A lot of people just can't stand to know that anything is dirty, out of sorts or suboptimal. It makes them feel good to change their fluid 32 times.

These guys will pull an engine out to change a rear main that drips 3 drops per day. They'll have a fender repainted to fix a small nick.

If it fulfills a need to feel secure, then its worth it. I've never seen people feel as satisfied with life as those I see here proudly pronouncing that their vehicle doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Last edited:
As for this topic. On my 2011 Ram 1500 and my 06 TB I did fluid exchanges by pumping out the cooler line. It was as simple as removing an E clip and attaching a section of hose. I only spilled a few drops out of the line. I have done pan drops when changing filters and pumped out prior to this. Pan drops full o fluid are even more fun. They are always a pain in the a$$.

I wonder if that's the "rock catcher" the OEM's called filters. Once I went to external spin on and changing 4/12th capacity a year - took pan off after 3 years. Spotless ... when using my drain plug this takes 20 minutes clean & easy.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Regarding ATF color, Chrysler put out a TSB about their ATF+4:

"FLUID COLOR Mopar ATF+4® is a World Class Fluid having exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4 is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4 also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4 fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not support a fluid change."

- I wonder if other modern fluids are the same?

- How much does it cost to have a shop do a complete fluid exchange vs. doing multiple drain and fills? You can guess what I'm thinking here.

- Finally, just an observation. I am shocked at the LARGE percentage of shops (including dealers) in my area that use the BG system, even when a vehicle is under a long powertrain warranty. My daughter had her Kia fluid done recently at 50K (100K warranty) and the KIA dealer used BG).

I think that's just a TSB to keep people from doing proper maintenance on their vehicles. Obviously if everyone changes their oil and the current old beaters run forvever, the dealership will close up shop quickly. They NEED us to come and buy NEW CARS.

I would agree with the color and odor not being a serious indication of oil condition if it wasn't for the simple fact that, EVERYTIME I change someone's old transmission fluid (60k miles +) they always report smoother shifting. If the old fluid was indeed still in "exceptional condition" even with the dark color and bad odor, there wouldn't be ANY change in the way the transmission performs but that's obviously not what we experience, so I'm sorry but I call [censored] on that TSB from Chrysler.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back