Multi repairs under warranty and now after warranty question

Truck is a 2014 Ford F550 Powerstroke Diesel 6.7 (Class C motorhome). Now has 35,000 miles.

Purchased in 2014 and about 1.5-2 years developed an upper oil pan leak and repair was done under warranty. Approximately 2 months before the 5 year/60,000 warranty expired it developed another upper oil pan and was repaired under warranty. Yesterday, I changed the oil and noticed a little oil accumulating in the same area (as previous two oil leaks) but now I am no longer under the manufacturer's warranty.

Haven't called the truck shop to discuss yet, but am I screwed or is the same repair that was never fixed right from day 1 still provide me with a warranty claim?

After second repair, Truck center implied that first repair was done by a tech (not very good and no longer there) was the reason.

Any advice with this type situation...never had the same repair take three times?

Appreciate any insights.

Will have to check the paperwork on the second repair, but probably 12 months as I recall seeing that. Looking like I have some defect in the upper oil pan (they never replaced it, just resealed it). I brought it up after the first repair about replacing it the whole pan, but followed Ford's warranty procedures. Guess I am no longer covered even if a defect that was never fixed properly while under warranty? I was shocked to see oil again and I was confident the second tech did it right.

The "power train warranty" is often open to interpretation as to what it covers. For example "valves"-probably. oil leak-open for interpretation. Ford isn't exactly known (see 6.0 diesel) for willingly covering things under warranty.

Appears to be 2 years-
I‘d be a little concerned about Ford doing something incorrectly, seems a little strange to have a leak 3 times in the same place in only 35,000 miles.
Thanks. Looks to be August 2019 when second oil pan repair was done...so just passed 2 year mark. Will call Ford Truck center on Monday to see what they say. Fearing they won't care or help, but I will try. Very disappointed by this leak.

I’m old enough to remember the LIFETIME warranty on Lincoln/Mercury dealership repairs-Mom’s old Tracer wagon got THREE ignition switch replacements out of it! Wonder if ATP AT-205 has a chance of helping, both it & Maxlife have helped me before with minor leaks.

Upper pan leaks are not uncommon on the 6.7, even when you follow the prep guide perfectly. There is a theory amongst techs that the TA-357 is not ideal because according to Loctite it is not compatible with diesel fuel. Some have started using TA-31 instead because it has worked so well on so many 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4s.

I"ll say it ,,,,, bdcardinal is a parts god !

I"ll say it ,,,,, bdcardinal is a parts god !
That channel is really good. I like to be able to see the jobs being done that my techs do so I can be more thorough with the parts that I quote and hand out.

FWIW the upper pan leak fix is a royal pain on a 6.7. You have to pull the trans, also the lower pan is not reusable and for a long time were on backorder.

Upper oil pans are indeed a time consuming repair. Post a photo if you can or the leak
Origin. Prep and surface cleanliness are extremely important, and take even more time for prep if this is a “multiple repair”.

That channel is really good. I like to be able to see the jobs being done that my techs do so I can be more thorough with the parts that I quote and hand out.

FWIW the upper pan leak fix is a royal pain on a 6.7. You have to pull the trans, also the lower pan is not reusable and for a long time were on backorder.

Glad to see you. I remember asking you if your dealer could do the repair (as I wasn't happy after first repair) but your dealer couldn't handle a motorhome. Anyway, do I have any standing if this wasn't right from day one and now not right? I know warranty has time and mileage but this is a motorhome and isn't driven daily to accumulate enough miles for a persistent problem show in a short period of time.

Sounds like I am out of luck for a third warranty?

Will have to check the paperwork on the second repair, but probably 12 months as I recall seeing that. Looking like I have some defect in the upper oil pan (they never replaced it, just resealed it). I brought it up after the first repair about replacing it the whole pan, but followed Ford's warranty procedures. Guess I am no longer covered even if a defect that was never fixed properly while under warranty? I was shocked to see oil again and I was confident the second tech did it right.

There's no extra warranty on warranty work... it's covered by the original car warranty, unless you paid some of it.

If the oil leak repair was longer than a few months ago it will likely be considered a new leak. What makes this oil pan so difficult to seal?

Glad to see you. I remember asking you if your dealer could do the repair (as I wasn't happy after first repair) but your dealer couldn't handle a motorhome. Anyway, do I have any standing if this wasn't right from day one and now not right? I know warranty has time and mileage but this is a motorhome and isn't driven daily to accumulate enough miles for a persistent problem show in a short period of time.

Sounds like I am out of luck for a third warranty?
I would say to go in and ask nicely. The worst they can say is no. I would think there should be something they can do since this is a known issue with these engines.

There's no extra warranty on warranty work... it's covered by the original car warranty, unless you paid some of it.

If the oil leak repair was longer than a few months ago it will likely be considered a new leak. What makes this oil pan so difficult to seal?
It is a bunch of labor to get to. Also there are no gaskets, it is all RTV. I posted a video in an earlier post from a very well respected Ford diesel tech showing why the RTV specified isn't ideal for this particular repair. Ford has a very specific cleaning and prep procedure for oil leaks. Unfortunately a lot of techs don't follow it because it is time consuming.

Not many jobs these days aren't time consuming.

I sure have experience with poorly done rtv seals, of course when the boss asked why it leaked I told him he bought the wrong sealant, rather than rat out a co-worker. would have reflected poorly on the shop aswell. Mine never leaked using the same sealant though ;)

I would say to go in and ask nicely. The worst they can say is no. I would think there should be something they can do since this is a known issue with these engines.

Appreciate the help everyone. I will call and see what they say. Bummer that it came back after second repair. I was shocked to see it again at the same place for the third time. I wiped it down hoping maybe residue from repair they didn't clean. I will keep thread updated on what they say or are willing to do. Both repairs were $3,500 - $4000, but that is with Ford's rates. Scared to know how much at shop rates.

Update to thread. Truck has developed the upper oil pan leak again. At another Ford dealer now and have opened a case with Ford regarding this issue. Waiting for confirmation of diagnosis from dealer and to see what Ford will do. VERY frustrating to say the least. Will keep thread updated.

Back