Muffler broke at inlet, have a shop weld it?

Old RX300 recently hearing more exhaust noise from the rear.
Found out today that it's broken at the inlet, not sure if it's something my father back into that caused it.
I want to keep the OEM muffler as there is nothing wrong with it, previously already welded aftermarket resonator on at a shop.
Before I take it in again, is welding this the permanent fix (2-3 years)?

my amateur opinion.. since it didnt break off flush.. it should be fairly easily weldable in several different ways.

That pipe appears to be quite rusty, and it may be too thin to weld. I've attempted to MIG-weld rusty, thin-wall pipes and end up just burning through the wall of the pipe. Just not enough "meat" there to take the heat of the welder.

I'd suggest taking to a muffler shop for an opinion. They should be able to tell you if it's weldable.

That pipe appears to be quite rusty, and it may be too thin to weld. I've attempted to MIG-weld rusty, thin-wall pipes and end up just burning through the wall of the pipe. Just not enough "meat" there to take the heat of the welder.

I'd suggest taking to a muffler shop for an opinion. They should be able to tell you if it's weldable.

Everything is factory stock except the resonator.
I did some research and basically there is Walker muffler(Amazon ~$300) or OEM muffler(~$500 CAD) and obviously OEM will last longer for sure.
If I can get the flange bolts off, I could possibly replace myself as a whole unit if shop says it's not weldable.

Can't see all angles, might be tough to weld all the way around, without removing it. But removing it makes it not worth anything other than a new muffler

I founf black coated mufflers for your RX300 on eBay. Sadly, nobody makes a stainless muffler for that car. There are some cheap mufflers for $100 or less that should last a year or two

For some vehicles the Walker exhaust diagrams do not include a resonator. If yours has a resonator and the Walker does not show one, do not be fooled into thinking it will be quiet enough to listen to music without the resonator. Don't waste your time putting it together without a resonator because after listening to the exhaust for a while you will realize it needs the resonator and have to add it.

The easy part is welding it back up. The trick will be getting it clean enough to hold good. I would emery cloth the heck out of it and weld it back. a Mig gun can get into lots of tight places.

You're not going to get a quality weld in tight places, out of position on rusty steel. IF you wish to have it welded, take the muffler off and take it to a weld shop, NOT a "muffler shop." If you wish longevity for the joint, it needs to be CLEAN SHINY BARE NEW METAL, a full bevel for penetration, and not "mig" welded, it needs tig welding. GMAW short-circuiting arc welding is not considered pre-qualified as a process by AWS D1.1.
Better yet, replace the muffler.

Took it back to the shop that welded new resonator on 2 years ago, they cut a portion of the pipe and welded a new stainless steel piece.
Saved me from replacing the muffler.

Back