MT Fluid and Rear Diff Fluid on 2012 Subaru Forester 5-spd MT

Hi folks,
I am going to change MT fluid and Rear diff fluid on my 2012 Subaru Forester 5-spd MT. I am planning to use Subaru HPGO 75W-90 on both MT and Rear diff. Does anyone have tried this gear oil on them? I have searched a lot and Motul Gear 300 and Redline 75W90NS are recommended since they don’t contain LS additive. And I don’t know if HPGO contains LS additives. But the HPGO is cheapest and easiest to get in my area, so I am considering to use this. Should I use Motul or Redline? Or do you think HPGO is good enough? Thanks!

Yes no LS additive is needed as the LSD is completely self-contained and uses a viscous coupling, R160 is the designation I believe. There is no LSD in the front diff which is part of the manual transmission. Redline is always a good call IMO.

My '04 Forester MT called for 75w90 GL-5. Same for the rear diff and front diff, which is a common sump with the tranny. From what I read, this car has open diffs front & rear (so no clutches), with a viscous coupled front-rear transfer diff. I believe this is different from the auto tranny cars. I changed the oil after 40k original miles, so the diffs were fully broken in. I used Mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 GL-5. 60,000 miles later the oil still looked new, no new metal or sludge on the magnetic plugs.

I've used redline diff/tranny oil in other GL-4 and GL-5 applications, and it has also given me great results, no problems.

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Subaru manual transmissions can be picky with fluid. The best one seems to be Motul Gear 300

The rear diff can use any synthetic 75w90 with no problem, even Walmart brand :)

Yes no LS additive is needed as the LSD is completely self-contained and uses a viscous coupling, R160 is the designation I believe. There is no LSD in the front diff which is part of the manual transmission. Redline is always a good call IMO.
Thank you!

My '04 Forester MT called for 75w90 GL-5. Same for the rear diff and front diff, which is a common sump with the tranny. From what I read, this car has open diffs front & rear (so no clutches), with a viscous coupled front-rear transfer diff. I believe this is different from the auto tranny cars. I changed the oil after 40k original miles, so the diffs were fully broken in. I used Mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 GL-5. 60,000 miles later the oil still looked new, no new metal or sludge on the magnetic plugs.

I've used redline diff/tranny oil in other GL-4 and GL-5 applications, and it has also given me great results, no problems.
If the Subaru HPGO contains LS additives, I will go with Redline NS. Thanks!

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Subaru manual transmissions can be picky with fluid. The best one seems to be Motul Gear 300

The rear diff can use any synthetic 75w90 with no problem, even Walmart brand :)
Thanks!! I read many people strongly recommended Motul Gear 300. I tried to get it, and called several local dealerships and auto parts store, but they carry only 300LS, which is not ideal for my tranny, I think. Therefore, this time I might go with wither Redline or Subaru Genuine HPGO. Thank you!

Just to shed some light on Subaru Extra MT 75W-80 oil that they factory fill on multiple manual transmission cars. Subaru only sells it in 5-Gallon pail under part number SOA748V0100 that is not viable for lot of DIYers to buy unless a group wants to split up 4 quarts each :)

I had done research sometime back and after calling various techs, I found out that Mitasu Japan makes that oil and it is called MJ-441. Below is the link and you will see it is good not only for Subaru SOA748V0100 but several other manufacturer standards.

You can't get it in USA so closest match is Motul Motylgear 75W80 if you compare MSDS from Motul and Mitasu MJ-441. Both MJ-441 and Motylgear are synthetic blends and GL-4/5 certified.

I have used in my two Subaru WRX (2015+) without an issue and for first ~200 miles with Motul I saw transmission was bit notchy but after that period shifting is just like stock fluid.

Hi folks,
I am going to change MT fluid and Rear diff fluid on my 2012 Subaru Forester 5-spd MT. I am planning to use Subaru HPGO 75W-90 on both MT and Rear diff. Does anyone have tried this gear oil on them? I have searched a lot and Motul Gear 300 and Redline 75W90NS are recommended since they don’t contain LS additive. And I don’t know if HPGO contains LS additives. But the HPGO is cheapest and easiest to get in my area, so I am considering to use this. Should I use Motul or Redline? Or do you think HPGO is good enough? Thanks!
I never used the Subaru-branded oil, but I have used the Motul Gear 300 and Redlines. My Forester did not shift well at all with Redline, was very notchy even when warm. The Motul shifted well when warm, but when it was 0*F or less, the first 10 minutes or so required one heck of a shove to grab 1st gear.

When it comes to the differentials, I used to prefer the Gear 300, but now I’ve used HPL and in these cases, HPL will be a lifetime fill.

Back