MSF Refresher Course Opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been decades since I passed my MSF Beginners course, got the endorsement on the driving license and had any real riding time. I am seriously thinking of doing the MSF Refresher course which would essentially be 10 hours of riding skill improvement spread over two days. The cost is $160 which I consider fair. They provide bike (200-300cc) and helmet.

I can't come up with a rational reason for taking this course except to have some fun and get some confidence if I decide to rent a bike on a vacation or something like that. I have no plan to purchase a bike in any immediate future (aka NOT ALLOWED :)

This weekend is the only opportunity that I will have and I am thinking of grabbing it unless you guys convince me otherwise.

Quote:

I can't come up with a rational reason for taking this course except to have some fun

You would probably have more fun if you went to a race track and rented one of the exotic cars for about the same money.

The best thing about these courses is practicing emergency stopping and maneuvers, and having someone able to correct any bad habits.

I say go for it.

Every time I've taken a MSF course I've taken away something I can
use out on the perverted highway... have you noticed the more you
know the less sh*t happens???

Better idea. Save the 160 bucks for fuel and take your bike out and ride it.
Here's where my head is at with those courses. They supply a bike sure,but unless you either own or plan on buying the same type of bike then it's a waste really.
Riding a bike and learning it's quirks and shortcomings is imperative for survival.
Such as establishing how much rear brake on wet roads before lock up or how much lean on wet pavement before you slide,how much loose gravel can't the bike tolerate at speed before the front tire feels like is in mush or just how much road sand is too much and traction is affected.
Catch my drift.
I've been out for a few days so I don't know if you've already got a bike and are unsure of yourself and you feel it could boost your confidence a bit or are bike shopping and don't wanna look like a fool on the test ride.
If you've already got a bike I suggest a few pylons,a parking lot and a nice evening and really push the bike as far as braking,leaning and how fast it has to travel to stay upright.
If you have access to sand fill a few bags and bring them. If not buy some. Throw it lightly in the bikes path of travel during turns and gradually increase speed and add more sand and keep at it til your intimate with its abilities.
Lean it hard enough to scrape the exhaust etc.
I've dropped every bike I've ever owned,even my Harley because as soon as I got it I had it at Walmart at midnight with a dozen pylon and about 20 shovelfuls of sand I got from the riverbank.
For a couple or 3 hours a night for 4 nights and I can push the bike right to its limits,and I was pulling wheelies the first night.
I basically rode it like I ride dirt,really pushing the envelope which I feel is extremely important.
If your contemplating taking the course for the latter reason well to be honest it is a good reason.
Keep it in the wind

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've been out for a few days so I don't know if you've already got a bike

Actually reading his post might give a clue.
smile.gif

Just like any other topic posted on BITOG, the poster is only looking for validation and is never interested in contrary opinions even though he sincerely requests them :)

All kidding aside, I am taking the course next two mornings and I am psyched. I am reviewing the online material myself as I believe they will not be reviewing that. I will not be getting any class time.

Getting back on a bike after 20 years is going to be both challenge and fun and I am looking forward to it.

Maybe they'll teach how to do what the guy in you tube does. Or hopefully, how to avoid it.

Taken the experienced rider course twice through the local community college. About half the cost or less, than the inexperienced/beginners course, but you bring your own bike. Well worth it, and got most of the cost back in HOG bucks.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
If you have no plans to ride...why waste your money?

Meet women perhaps? lol

LOL

His wife will be thrilled with this idea.

Actually, it's funny...the MOST class I did last year was about 3/4 women! The track day I did Tuesday was about 1/3 women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back