MSC: cutting tools and hand tools

D60

In the past MSC's "clearance" has been lame but here's some decent deals I found that interested me:

15/32 Made in USA (read: not Chinesium) jobber drills at $4.19 ea. Presently 98 in stock as I type this:

1/2" extra long (12" OAL) HSS twist bit. This is MSC's Interstate brand and is made in China but IME the Interstate stuff is not terrible. Extra long bits get spendy so at $15.99 this is a great deal assuming the metallurgy is ok. Presently 497 in stock:

Side note: shouldn't it be Intercontinental? (...."and I eat French toast!" er, never mind, likely no one on BITOG gets a B-Boys reference??)

31" pry bar for $14.99. COO Taiwan so that's better. 184 in stock as I type this

A "soft steel" safety sledge for $66.99. Says head is encased in polyurethane. Seems useful for jamming those stubborn carriers back into place sans a case spreader maybe? 185 in stock:

Same as above but 10 lb (now we're not messin' around) for $111.99, 188 in stock:

Wiha 32635 T&G pliers, 10.5" OAL. $36.99, 48 in stock:

Now I dunno who OEMs the Paramount ratcheting wrenches but they're real nice, or at least the stubbies that I own are. Taiwan COO of course, which is leaps ahead of Gearwrench and their Chinese garbage.

These, however, appear to be spline drive, so love it or hate it but for Taiwanese REVERSIBLE ratcheting wrenches in 1" or 1-1/4" these are fantastic prices.

1" for $24.99, 383 in stock

1-1/4" for $39.99, 216 in stock

If you need a rather large adjustable hook spanner wrench (4.5 to 6.25" capacity) this is decent at $26.99. 12-1/8" OAL so it ain't exactly small. 155 in stock as I type this:

D60

Also if your order isn't too physically large or heavy select their Next Day Air Saver and you could have most of this stuff next day at ground rates.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2022
I probably spent a few million dollars with MSC in the pre internet days. Haven't been back in over 20 years. Even with deep discounts they were more retail than anything but in the days I was blowing and going i could call them at 11pm and it would be on my doorstep the next day...those were the days...

D60

I probably spent a few million dollars with MSC in the pre internet days. Haven't been back in over 20 years. Even with deep discounts they were more retail than anything but in the days I was blowing and going i could call them at 11pm and it would be on my doorstep the next day...those were the days...
I dunno, the pricing hasn't been my experience. For specialty stuff like end mills and drill bits they're competitive-ish if you shop their sales flyers like MRO and Metalworking.

Other things like a .223" chucking reamer (something I use often) is so specific and oddball that you're just gonna pay whatever the price is.

Their customer service is solid unlike McMaster, you can select from a wide selection of cutting tool brands unlike McMaster, their shipping is fast and reasonably priced unlike McMaster, and they tell you shipping charges ahead of time unlike McMaster.

McMaster, unfortunately, has a far deeper selection of raw materials, though.

I buy some cutting tools on Amazon but it's really hit or miss

Machine tool accessories like angle plates or 1-2-3/2-4-6 I typically go ebay with cheap Chinese imports because they're good enuf for the girls I hang out with....

Interstate brand is plenty fine for hobbyist. Wished they didn't absorb Enco. When Enco ran their free ship deals it was freakn awesome for us home guys. And the Hertel brand Enco carried was a step up above Interstate for not much more. I remember ordering a gallon of Vactra 2 for $18, now it's almost $75.

D60

Interstate brand is plenty fine for hobbyist. Wished they didn't absorb Enco. When Enco ran their free ship deals it was freakn awesome for us home guys. And the Hertel brand Enco carried was a step up above Interstate for not much more. I remember ordering a gallon of Vactra 2 for $18, now it's almost $75.
I still run a lot of Hertel end mills and drill bits. They're perfect for manual machines with the inherent slower feeds and speeds.

Yep, RIP Enco....I used to combine free shipping and 20% codes for great deals

D60

Ordered yesterday, received today with Next Day Air Saver for $12.99. Both these boxes were in the shipment, with the tube being a 6' length of 1/2" stainless rod for a job.
20220211_180746.jpg

Got my (4) 15/32" Hertel USA bits (I already have a bunch of 15/32" bits so didn't order many), my one extra long 1/2" twist bit, Paramount hook spanner and 1-1/4" reversible ratcheting wrench. Action of wrench is smooth and backdrag is minimal for the size
20220211_181231.jpg