MS Edge is now slow...

For some unknown reason, MS Edge is a lot slower the last 2 weeks or so. I've tried many of the MS suggested fixes and none have worked so far. Internet connection/speed is fine.

I downloaded Chrome just out of curiosity and it's much quicker. This wasn't the case about a year ago.

Sadly The new edge is slower than the old edge in my experience. I used to actually use and recommend the old edge browser. The new edge was immediately removed as I personally don't care much for chrome based browsers and it was overall worse than the old edge and newer firefox versions.

Other than Firefox are there any other browsers that are not Chromium-based?

I've been using Vivaldi for some time now, it's the best browser I've found with Opera a close second. Both are Chromium based browers, but I've never had an issue with speed. They can be a RAM hog, it's not unusual to see a gigabyte or more RAM used just doing basic web browsing. I just looked and with six tabs open it's gobbled up 800mb.

Do you have any add-ons or extensions that the newly-downloaded Chrome or other browsers you're testing against would not have? Have you performed any other modifications? (I am thinking about slow DNS lookups.)

Are you using Edge's built-in sync function?

Have you tried clearing the browser's cache? Cookies?

I started my internet experience using netscape, and rolled into firefox after that. Have never really used any other browsers except in emergency. And google chrome on a phone.

I liked the old one better: menus, settings, speed, etc. Microsoft should have let the code run wild instead of killing it.

Also, I dislike most things Google.
As little Google as possible for me too. Edge with the updates slowed it down. I deleted the updates of the last few weeks. Works like old now.
Chromium is free of all of the Google-phoning-home stuff. It is the open-source basis upon which Google makes Chrome. The Chromium-based MS Edge supplants the Google-phoning-home stuff with Microsoft-phoning-home stuff.

Chromium is free of all of the Google-phoning-home stuff. It is the open-source basis upon which Google makes Chrome. The Chromium-based MS Edge supplants the Google-phoning-home stuff with Microsoft-phoning-home stuff.
Thank you for your insightful information.

Do you have any add-ons or extensions that the newly-downloaded Chrome or other browsers you're testing against would not have? Have you performed any other modifications? (I am thinking about slow DNS lookups.)

Are you using Edge's built-in sync function?

Have you tried clearing the browser's cache? Cookies?

No extensions. I'm not using the sync function. I have also cleared everything. It's really weird. I downloaded Chrome just to compare and now that is significantly faster. At first, about a year ago, and when the updated to Edge Chromium it was the fastest. For some reason it has slowed down.

I switched from Chrome to Opera a few years ago and It seems to lag a lot less. I don't know whats different but it works.

No extensions. I'm not using the sync function. I have also cleared everything. It's really weird. I downloaded Chrome just to compare and now that is significantly faster. At first, about a year ago, and when the updated to Edge Chromium it was the fastest. For some reason it has slowed down.
If you're intent on using Edge - and I'd never fault anyone who'd want to use an OS's built-in browser - maybe try resetting the whole shootin' match and see if that brings performance back to a pre-buggered-up state.

It seems a little pointless to hop from browser to browser if (when) they slow down due to accumulated digital cruft; especially when they're almost inevitably going to be based Chromium-based anyhow.

If you're intent on using Edge - and I'd never fault anyone who'd want to use an OS's built-in browser - maybe try resetting the whole shootin' match and see if that brings performance back to a pre-buggered-up state.

It seems a little pointless to hop from browser to browser if (when) they slow down due to accumulated digital cruft; especially when they're almost inevitably going to be based Chromium-based anyhow.
True, good point. Do they always inevitably slow down?

Sounds like a recent update or set of updates to the Edge code slowed it down. Okay, dont panic. They’ll either fix it or back out those changes and it’ll go back to operating at an acceptable speed.

It happens to every program that runs off software written by humans. This won’t be the last time for this, or any other, browser I’m sure.

Back