MRV of PP EURO 0W40 an anomaly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannow once posted here that a high ratio of MRV to CCS viscosity was evidence that Pour Point Depressants (PPDs) had been heavily used to help achieve whatever xW grade the oil was sporting...I believe a "natural" ratio without PPDs was about 2.
This suggests to me that the base stocks for PP Euro 0W40 have inherently good cold weather properties.
I guess I am assuming here that the oils mentioned have similar CCS test results, do you happen to know what they are for the oils you've mentioned?

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Shannow once posted here that a high ratio of MRV to CCS viscosity was evidence that Pour Point Depressants (PPDs) had been heavily used to help achieve whatever xW grade the oil was sporting...I believe a "natural" ratio without PPDs was about 2.
This suggests to me that the base stocks for PP Euro 0W40 have inherently good cold weather properties.
I guess I am assuming here that the oils mentioned have similar CCS test results, do you happen to know what they are for the oils you've mentioned?

The PP Euro will use lighter GTL bases (and the version in the OP uses a splash of PAO) which will require PPD's, whilst the Ravenol SSL being straight PAO, won't.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Points to an extremely light base oil.

Worth noting however, as I believe that's the outdated, older TDS:

The newer one is here:
Dated July 11th, 2018:
http://www.epc.shell.com/documentRetrieve.asp?documentId=145788755

The new MRV # is still 'impressive' ie still slightly lower than the very light PP EURO LX 0W30.

(And the VI is over 200)

I need to check for UOAs or other threads re this oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Points to an extremely light base oil.

Worth noting however, as I believe that's the outdated, older TDS:

The newer one is here:
Dated July 11th, 2018:
http://www.epc.shell.com/documentRetrieve.asp?documentId=145788755

The new MRV # is still impressive ie slightly lower than the very light PP EURO LX 0W30.

(And the VI is over 200)

I wouldn't get excited about that, it just points to low visc bases being the primary blending ingredient. For example, XOM Chemical's 4cSt PAO, SpectraSyn 4, has an MRV of 5,000cP (!), a CCS Visc @ -30C of 910cP, a VI of 126 and a Noack ~14%. But we know this product is Group III based, not PAO, so:

While I unfortunately can't readily find MRV info for Yubase, if we look at two of their 4cSt offerings:
YU-4:
VI: 122
Noack: 15.2%
CCS @ -30C: 1,590

YU-4 Plus:
VI: 134
Noack: 14%
CCS @ -30C: 1,130

You'll note in both instances CCS is higher than PAO 4.

I'd wager Noack is right on the limit for the approvals the oil carries and that the base oil blend is primarily 4cSt with enough heavier GTL mixed in to get the Noack to that point. It's then treated heavily with VII's to get the visc, but the artifact of this is the low MRV and high VI.

If you look at the PAO-based Ravenol SSL 0w-40 for the sake of comparison you see:
VI: 182
MRV: 21,300cP
Noack: 8.5%

Lower VI, higher MRV, both point to a heavier base oil blend. One that is still propped up with VII, but less of it.

SpectraSyn 8 has an MRV of 16,200cP, but SpectraSyn 10 is 36,650cP. Also, even SpectraSyn 8 would, by itself, exceed the CCS visc limits for the 0w-xx designation, as it is 4,800cP @ -30C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back