Mr. Goodwrench, dead, age 37. RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

"The Detroit automaker has been focusing its marketing efforts for the past year or so on brands rather than the corporate name because customers know the brands better than they know General Motors."

I'd say after 37 years, Mr Goodwrench has become a brand, wouldn't you?

I think this is a really, really bad move. The 'Goodwrench' label at ever GM dealership gave a sense of a common standard for service from GM dealerships. Even if it wasn't true, people got the feeling that no matter which dealership they went to, the got 'Goodwrench service'.

GM needs all the recognition they can get moving forward...tying dealerships tgether under the Goodwrench banner was not a bad thing, as long as it meant quality service.....

That sucks. I only trust Chevy certified ASE mechanics working on my baby.

Where do I take my Corvette to get serviced ?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I think this is a really, really bad move. [snip]
GM needs all the recognition they can get moving forward...tying dealerships tgether under the Goodwrench banner was not a bad thing, as long as it meant quality service.....

Agreed. I used to work for Kemper Financial (The mutual fund people, not the insurance people which was a different company) and when the company got bought and the holding company bought the Scudder fund family, one of their first moves was to eliminate the Kemper brand name as it apparently was a strong identity in only the Midwest.

My Mom probably had the best quote on the stupidity of that move, and it was something along the lines of even though I'm not an investor, I know who "Kemper" is, and have no idea who Scudder is -- it sounds like a disease, not a financial firm.

This is an equally bad move IMHO. As you stated, the perception of a similar standard of quality is valuable. What about the owners of the orphan brands, especially Pontiac and Saturn? GM has been pushing that you can go to a Chevy/Buick/Caddy/GMC dealer to get the same standard of repairs and at least the Goodwrench brand kind of reinforced that. Someone in the know won't care, but the average consumer may balk at taking their G6 to a Chevy dealer if the mechanic is "Chevy Certified" instead of being "Goodwrench Certified".

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

21.gif

Uhhh...just a wild guess, but maybe you could try the same Chevy certified ASE mechanic you have always used?

Where is your confusion coming from? GM isn't ending dealer service departments, just the name brand associated with them.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Is there anyone left that still trusts Mr. Goodwrench?

Did anyone ever?

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Is there anyone left that still trusts Mr. Goodwrench?

Therein lies the irony. They could keep Mr. Goodwrench, and half of you would bash them for living in the past with an outdated, untrustworthy namesake. Or they could phase him out and the other half would bash them for cutting ties to a well-loved symbol of better days.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

21.gif

Uhhh...just a wild guess, but maybe you could try the same Chevy certified ASE mechanic you have always used?

Where is your confusion coming from? GM isn't ending dealer service departments, just the name brand associated with them.

You beat me on this one. Or do what I do with my Corvette (and all my vehicles) - do it yourself. Nobody cares more for your car than yourself.

A cheap ripoff inspired by the film "Looking for Mr. Goodbar".
Meant nothing then, means nothing now.
Show me some real mechanic cred, not a cute brand name.

When I took my truck back to the dealer for work under warranty, I always felt like I'd been hit in the head by Mr. Badwrench...

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: addyguy

I think this is a really, really bad move. [snip]

Agreed. I used to work for Kemper Financial (The mutual fund people, not the insurance people which was a different company) and when the company got bought and the holding company bought the Scudder fund family, one of their first moves was to eliminate the Kemper brand name as it apparently was a strong identity in only the Midwest.

My Mom probably had the best quote on the stupidity of that move, and it was something along the lines of even though I'm not an investor, I know who "Kemper" is, and have no idea who Scudder is -- it sounds like a disease, not a financial firm.

This is an equally bad move IMHO. As you stated, the perception of a similar standard of quality is valuable. What about the owners of the orphan brands, especially Pontiac and Saturn? GM has been pushing that you can go to a Chevy/Buick/Caddy/GMC dealer to get the same standard of repairs and at least the Goodwrench brand kind of reinforced that. Someone in the know won't care, but the average consumer may balk at taking their G6 to a Chevy dealer if the mechanic is "Chevy Certified" instead of being "Goodwrench Certified".

Spot on.

I get the impression that GM could defecate solid gold bricks and the experts around here would still find fault with them.

Nope, I find fault with this dopey idea of this Chevy-certed stuff. They could have even had something along the line of "GM" certed or something...

I tend to be a GM fan myself, but they are really starting to [censored] me off lately..

21.gif

but you're forgetting just how dumbed down the customer base is out there...

I get the impression that GM could defecate solid gold bricks and the experts around here would still find fault with them.
I would guess thats because history has shown us (at least in the past, not sure about now) that those gold bricks (read: vehicles) they were defecating were turning out to be gold plated lead ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back