MP3 player for cassette- junk or cool gadget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled on this at DealExtreme: an MP3 player shaped as a cassette; takes SD cards, up to 2GB; can use as stand alone player; can use as card reader, or to write MP3 tunes into card from computer via USB cable; rechargeable lithium battery; includes USB cable, plus car & wall chargers; and the biggie, you can play your MP3's through your car cassette deck, or I suppose any other cassette deck you choose. Less than $17 at Deal Extreme, no memory card included. Too bad it won't use cards with over 2GB, but still- you could get a lotta music on 2GB if you held it to 128kbps or less. No wire to stick out of the cassette deck. Can even fast forward & rewind somewhat using the cassette deck controls. No screen on the unit, so stand-alone use is possible but maybe not too convenient. Playlist play only available by using folders. Still it would allow playing MP3 on your cassette deck, you could keep it recharged using the car charger, & a few 2GB SD cards(cheap now, usually on sale for less than $10 each) could carry lots to listen to.

So- if it works, without too much "wheel-turning" noise coming through, seems like it would be great for car cassette decks, & maybe to play MP3's on boomboxes. Maybe you have other ideas for it.

If too much noise does come through, then it's just another good idea gone bad.

Most of the reviewers seem to like it well enough. And most of my old time radio MP3's are at 32mbps- 2GB will hold many hours at that rate.
wink.gif

Hmm...for $17 I may risk it!
grin2.gif

Link: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10203

Whatever you decide, DX is a good dealer. I've had many orders from them, and they have very good customer service.

They're a pretty big deal over on candlepowerforums.

Sounds like something I may want to get in the future. I have one of those adapters with the wire connected to a cassette I rarely use. Maybe if I had something like this?

That's a neat idea. I've bought quite a few things from Deal Extreme and have been happy with the quality of the products given the price. All of the items still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back