Mozilla Firefox 0.9 Web Browser kicks ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSV

Anybody else using this browser?

I've used the Gecko based Mozilla browsers for over a year mostly for their built-in pop up blocker. I tried Firebird before they had to change the name but Firefox 0.9 is so much nicer.

CERT recently advised users to stop using MS Internet Explorer due to numerous security problems.

If you hate pop-up ads and would like to try a faster browser with tabs and other newer features try this one. Very simple to install and import your old settings.

http://www.mozilla.org

PS - yes it is free

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Yes, I have used Firefox/firebird for a couple years now. The browser has the best pop-up blocker I've ever used. Stability has greatly increased and speed has always be very fast. I almost never use IE anymore unless a particular web site is incompatible with Firefox....

Wayne

I had a few crashes with 0.9 and updated to 0.9.1. Don't remember what popups are, are they something you get with old cr*ppy browsers? LOL.

Keith.

My son's been using Mozilla for quite some time.
I started using it last weekend when IE was hit with yet another security leak.

I love Foxfire.

I especially like all the customizing you can do...or at least the resident geek can do. My son set up several nifty customized add-ons from the open-source downloads.
It looks easy enough to do myself, and I'm sure when he leaves for collage in late August that I can figure it all out. But in the meantime, what’s the point of feeding and housing a geek if you don’t take advantage of him
grin.gif

Mozilla seems to be user friendly without being a dumbed down, one size fits all browser.

I really have only 2 complaints.
I had my IE set so that when I opened a new browser window it would open in the same site as the one I was on. Foxfire doesn't seem to be able to do that, yet.
New open-source customizing downloads are added all the time, so it's probably just a matter of time.

My other complaint isn't really with Mozilla, it's with MSN.

The MSN games that I like to play won't work in Mozilla.

So far the MSN games site is the only one I've had trouble with, but if there are others, my son added a handy right click function that let’s me "View This Page in IE"

the mozilla email client "thunderbird" is a great piece of software, it has built in spam protection and it works great.

It blows outlook express away.;

This topic was touched upon in this thread: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002733

I love the fact that Firefox imports everything from Netscape, including Cookies. It was a seamless transition!

I rarely use IE anymore. Only on my d@mn corporate network where they've sold their souls to Microsoft. As a result, system patching is our #1 priority. Yeah, I've automated it, but I'd rather run XP using that XP Lite program and completely remove IE. It's just a broswer after all. I only wish Linux would stop being slower with every vendor's release. What happened to the speed advantage of Linux?
dunno.gif

Firefox is great! I'm glad to see tight, efficient, software still being made!
smile.gif

You guys convinced me. I just now downloaded it.

So far? GREAT. Speedy and it did transfer over my bookmarks and some history/cookies. Smooth.

I'm gonna play with it for awhile but as an abused IE idiot for the last X years, I'm divorcing Bill, one concubine at a time....

Two issues:

1) Is there a spell check add-in like IE spell?

2) There doesn't seem to be the ability to hover over an icon or button (like the edit, email, or PM, etc button) and get the TAG for that button to show up next to the mouse cursor???

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Two issues:

2) There doesn't seem to be the ability to hover over an icon or button (like the edit, email, or PM, etc button) and get the TAG for that button to show up next to the mouse cursor???

There is
I guess I don't know of a spell check add on for IE either, but there is one for Firefos, just not sure if it's working with the current version.

Not sure about the Tag thing, doesn't apear to be supported on this board at least. It does work on other sites.

-T

I've used Mozilla for a couple of years now and just switched to Firefox about a month ago. A great browswer that beats IE hands down in almost every way.

One thing most people fail to realize is that most all the "cool" features in IE that you don't see in Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox are made possible by the security holes in the browser.

There are a lot of customizable features for Firefox, http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/
quote:

Two issues:

I did some searching at Mozilla’s website and eventually ended up at a discussion forum.
Somewhere in this 3 page discussion of spellcheckers, you’ll find a couple links to an add-on that will work.
Mozillazine Forums

quote:

There must be some sort of thing for this because my Firefox does this. When I hover over a button, etc., the link shows up at the bottom of the screen.
It's probably one of those add-ons that my son put on my browser.

I looked thru the many available extensions but didn’t find the one that does this. It’s probably called by some name that makes sense to a geek, but not to ordinary people.
I'll ask my kid about it when he gets home from work.

What I did find, though, is an extension that will clone the existing page when I open a new window. That’s about the only IE feature that I missed.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
There is
I guess I don't know of a spell check add on for IE either, but there is one for Firefos, just not sure if it's working with the current version.

-T

There is a long discussion about spellcheckers working and not working with Firefox 0.9.1 at the Mozillazine Forums (see the link in the post above)
The last couple posts seem to say that there is a version of Spellbound that works.

I just intalled the extention to clone a new window rather than opening the home page when opening a new window. Works like a dream.
I'll have to tell my kid that I AM capable of adding my own extentions, thank you.
cool.gif

Now the question is, can HE wash his own clothes
grin.gif

quote:

Two issues:

Once I figured out what you were looking for, I found the extension that does what you want.

I think I know what you are looking for. Are you looking for that handy feature where hovering over something tells you what it is. As in when I hover oover the light bulb icon, the words "icon 3" shows up.
If this is what you are looking for, here is where to get it. Popup ALT Attributes
It takes a couple seconds for the tag to show up, so be patient.

I'll have to show this one to my kid.

Dewlanna,

You are now our resident Firefox guru.
grin.gif

I have yet to see anyone who doesn't like this browser after tinkering with it for 5 minutes.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

I have yet to see anyone who doesn't like this browser after tinkering with it for 5 minutes.

You, my friend, have not met my wife. She was griping like heck about Firefox. Mostly about how she can't access her sites, etc (she hasn't proved this to me). Then I showed her the article in this week's BusinessWeek, the author pointed out a bunch of reasons NOT to use IE, and specifically recommends Firefox. She got quite interested.

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:
Dewlanna,

You are now our resident Firefox guru.
grin.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

blush.gif
Thanks.
Now all I have to do is remeber that it is called Firefox and not FoxFire. I keep wanting to type Foxfire, but that's some back to nature hippy "those old folks in Appalachia really know how to live" thing from the 60s, isn't it?

I had fun yesterday looking at all the extensions that are available. here's a link to the entire list of current extensions.
if you don't find what you are looking for, try going to the MozillaZine Forum Index and look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back