Mower storage for the winter

I know lots of people mentioned scraping the deck. A few years ago I found that if I took a paint brush and painted the underside of the deck with used motor oil it made it easier to clean the deck next time around and it's a good way to repurpose a little oil (maybe 4-8 oz.) I usually scrape the deck multiple times per year and re-coat it with oil. I've never had a problem with my decks rusting out because I don't mow when the grass if wet unless absolutely necessary but for those who have rust problems this would probably also extend the life of your deck by a few years.

I know lots of people mentioned scraping the deck. A few years ago I found that if I took a paint brush and painted the underside of the deck with used motor oil it made it easier to clean the deck next time around and it's a good way to repurpose a little oil (maybe 4-8 oz.) I usually scrape the deck multiple times per year and re-coat it with oil. I've never had a problem with my decks rusting out because I don't mow when the grass if wet unless absolutely necessary but for those who have rust problems this would probably also extend the life of your deck by a few years.

I just pressure wash,then do a quick wire brush. Spray some rust prevention then some flat black. No problem since using this method.

I also mow when the grass is totally dry.

I just pressure wash,then do a quick wire brush. Spray some rust prevention then some flat black. No problem since using this method.

I also mow when the grass is totally dry.
Whatever works for you is fine. I just thought since this was an oil forum most everyone would have some used oil sitting around that they needed to get rid of and this doesn't cost anything except the cost of a paint brush. I always put the brush back in the pan I pour the oil into so next time I know where it's at. I've been using the same 4" Harbor Freight brush ever since I started doing this. I think I paid something like $1.19 for the brush and the oil is used so it's just going to be recycled anyway. I used my previous tractor mower about 20 years and there was no rust problem when the rest of the mower was worn out.

Curious to find out how you address/apply mouse repellent once its parked in a shed.. plz
Ive had to fix mouse damage before, coil pack wire was chewed right through, but that was on the previous owner..
My shed is a little better suited against mice... but I would like a little more defense... :)
Mothballs and cover engine with plastic to keep the mothball scent in.

Aluminum foil around air intake.

Remove air filter and put a few mothballs in that area. Write note on engine about air filter. Put back air filter in spring.

Back