Mower storage for the winter

What all do you do for winter storage of your lawn mower / tractor.

All I do is remove the battery and also drained the gas tank.

Nothing for me other than making sure I've used E0 in it all season. It sits in my garage so it never gets below about 48 deg and it has a battery tender hooked up to it.

I'll also usually dump the last of whatever premix I have in the tank as well. Just feel better burning it up in the mower and starting fresh in the spring.

Last edited:
1) Air Filter - Clean (knock dirt off) or replace
2) Underside - Clean
3) Blades - Sharpen
4) Oil & Filter - Change
5) Visual Inspect - Fix any problems so it's ready to go in Spring
6) Fuel - Fill Tank with E0, add Stabilizer
7) Battery - Disconnect and get 'smart' Battery Charger ready

Mine gets an oil change, air filter change and has gas with StaBil in it. Heck, I keep StaBil in my gas at 1oz per 2 1/2 gallons. I make sure the underside of the deck is clean. That’s something I do after each mowing.

1) Air Filter - Clean (knock dirt off) or replace
2) Underside - Clean
3) Blades - Sharpen
4) Oil & Filter - Change
5) Visual Inspect - Fix any problems so it's ready to go in Spring
6) Fuel - Fill Tank with E0, add Stabilizer
7) Battery - Disconnect and get 'smart' Battery Charger ready

I do all of that, except:

1. I let run the tank and carb dry for the winter
2. No battery nor filter (dual-blade push mower)
3. Add a spritz of fogging oil into the cylinder and inspect plug

I also don't necessarily do all of this at once. I might wait until spring, for instance, on the first warm day if I missed a warm day in the Fall.

I use blue Marine Stabil all 4 cycle year long in E0 gas. My biggest issue is mice making nests in and around engine shroud.
Used that for many years until I found the Chevron multi … it’s a stabilizer with Techron and formulated together by a company I trust …

354B5CE2-E719-4FE7-ABE7-7048102BEDF3.png

I put a charger on it and make sure the battery is topped up fully, and that's it. I use ethanol free gas and I use 1oz of stabil per 5 gallons of gas every time I fill up my fuel cans, so there's already some gas preservative in it. I store my riding mowers outside under my porch, but they stay covered all year.

I've never had any issues storing them in this manner, they always start right back up in March/April. I do all my other maintenance (air filter, oil change, lube, etc.) in the spring before the first mow.

If we get a really nice stretch of weather during the winter, I might put the battery charger on them one more time, but not always.

What all do you do for winter storage of your lawn mower / tractor.

All I do is remove the battery and also drained the gas tank.
if i can i run the mower out of fuel if not my fuel is treated with stabil.. also scrape down the left over vegetation with a putty knife and give the underside of the deck a spray of high zinc primer. if my blade is in good shape i give a coating of grease. pull the plug give a squirt of white lithium in the hole reinsert and just give the pull rope a few short tugs till tight.. i guess then the valves are seated.. spring time gets fresh oil and new air cleaner if needed otherwise just blow out with compressed air.

I just don't use them, no voodoo needed, some of my ope is 20 years old and run well and start in spring with out any problems.

Run it dry, pull start it a few more times to make absolutely sure then store it.

I never had any problems with running E10 which was the only fuel available back where I use to live. Drain and refill the oil next spring and you will be good to go.

Last run of fuel has stabil and Tcw-3 at 640:1.
I leave fuel I it.
I run gator blades the last few mows of the season and the first few of spring.
All I really do is run the treated fuel through on the last mow, and clean the deck.
I rotate the battery minder from the rv battery to the mower battery during the off season.

I'll be mowing till the first of dec.

Last edited:
My tractor gets used year round (has a snow blower attachment) but any seasonal equipment like a tiller, or walk behind mower I let it run out of fuel, then place strong smelling dryer sheets around the fan housing on the engine to keep mice out.

The best thing for a battery would be trickle charge it once in awhile, or bring it inside over the winter.

I turn off the key.

I also charge the battery a couple of times over the winter....if I remember.

19 years and no problems, still starts easly and runs strong.

The rest of the mower was worn out though.

Back