Moving into an old house, lack of 3 prong outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm moving back to Upstate NY, specifically the Albany area. I'm moving into a house that was built in the very early 1900s (1901-1905, somewhere in there). It's in the downtown Albany area, so lots of old houses. I'm moving in with a few friends of mine, who are renting the house. As an older house, there is a (scary at times) mix of older and newer wiring. Supposedly all the old cloth covered wiring is capped and disabled But there are still some older wall outlets which are 2 prong, and some newer floor mounted ones which are 3 prong. The room I will be living in has only 1 2prong outlet.

I had originally planned on having an electrician come in and install a couple additional floor outlets in the room after attaining permission from the landlord. But after speaking with an electrician, they stated a permit would have to be pulled, and a city inspection to follow. The landlord does not want to go through that (for whatever reason), which means that idea is out.

I'm going to have to run an extension cord from the next room (yes, I know it's not really the preferred solution) to a UPS/Surge protector. That outlet, as far as I know, is grounded. My question is the outlet in the room, which is 2 prong. My understanding is in theory, the neutral should be connected to ground, so in theory if you use a 3-2 prong adapter, you will still get some protection through the neutral wire for ground, when using surge supressors. How much can I rely on this? I know I can also buy one with a tab, and according to what I've read on the internet, I can use the plate screw to ground it to the electrical box. My question on this is, wouldn't this be assuming the electrical box itself is grounded? Also, can I just run a ground wire directly outside and attach it to something metal that goes into the ground?

It's not an ideal situation all around as far as the electrical goes, but our hands are tied if the landlord doesn't want to deal with inspections and permits.

This isn't the only problem, but it is the one that concerns me the most about moving into a house this old. The floors are solid, as are the walls. The doors and windows have the beautiful wood trim typical of this era. But it has hot water radiant heat, with what I am about 95% sure is asbestos pipe wrap in the basement, which someone has come along and wrapped with duct tape. But noone goes down there and it doesn't get disturbed so I'm not too worried about that.

Mostly, just want to hear input from some of our resident electricians about what they suggest for keeping my computer equipment (as well as myself) safe in this situation

Welcome back to Upstate NY!

You are more Upstate in Albany (NY's capital) than where I grew up, and less Upstate than where I graduated high school. Nice area.

I have lived in houses with two-pronged outlets.. I think we eventually had to have new outlets installed with proper wiring. Had a Belkin surge protector on that, too.

You can get a "cheater" and run a wire to a pipe, assuming iron pipe throughout (not PVC).

You can install a GFI outlet (to be removed when you move out) or make an adapter out of an electrical box, cover plate, and short male pigtail wire. GFIs can sense when power's going "elsewhere" and kill all power. You'll want a sticker that reads "no equipment ground."

If you're running typical computers and home entertainment stuff, you don't "need" a ground, though it's preferred.

If you take the cover plate off your 2-hole outlet and see that it's installed with metal conduit, that conduit should be grounded, barring breaks in workmanship, so your cheater with prong will work. No cheater shunts ground directly to neutral, that would be horrifying. Don't you do it, either.

You won't get protection with a cheater likely. Typically a decent UPS will show a ground fault if the ground is not present or wired.

A surge protector/UPS in terms of protection is completely useless without ground.

I own a 1910 home of similar type with asbestos removed
smile.gif
before sale and have added outlets so I just plug lamps with LED/CFL(low wattage) into old wiring. Be careful on loading up that old wiring as there are typically far less circuits. That is pure [censored] likely the cloth wiring has been removed/capped. If it was they would have replaced the outlets with 3 prongs.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Can I run a wire to the cast iron radiator in the room as a ground?

Not legally, and it won't work well anyway. Without a proper ground, there is still the risk of transient surge activity. For electronic equipment there simply isn't any shortcut. Properly rewiring a 3 prong outlet back to the panel is the only way to provide the proper protection for equipment and yourself.

Welcome to living in an old house.

Its possible the box for the outlets is grounded and you can install one of the adapter and connect the screw hole of it to the center screw. If the wiring is BX cable the outside metal carries the ground.

I am sure you can find an electrician who will just install some outlets.

Last week we moved a small washer/dryer into a house on Sycamore St. (Ave.?) in Albany.
It came from "far away" Clifton Park.

Run a ground to where the water service enters the basement. THe joints in plumbing are what diminishes the circuit to ground. Legal and proper?...no. Works?...yes. Kira

Originally Posted By: Plumber
I would be more concerned about the plumbing....pffttt....

Me, too, especially with this:

Originally Posted By: NickR
But after speaking with an electrician, they stated a permit would have to be pulled, and a city inspection to follow. The landlord does not want to go through that (for whatever reason)...

The owner of the home may not want an inspector there because there may be other things that do not meet code. Do rental houses in this area have to meet certain standards? I think some areas have rental house inspection programs. If your area has one, I might consider having the home looked at, for your own protection.

I would do nothing to the outlets without the owners written permission. You are renting. I'd get renters insurance in case anything happens.

Last edited:
As Americans, we worry too much about properly grounding electrical equipment. What about the rest of the world?

It does help a little protecting electronic equipment and reducing the risk of shock.

A career union electrician once told me that three prong outlets were implemented for hardening in case of nuclear war. If something is double grounded [3 prong outlet], there is less chance it will be damaged in an EMP event.

Canada and Mexico use 3 prong outlets because it is what their biggest neighbor [the US] does. I think the UK does too, but in the rest of the world it is not that common.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
If the two prong outlet is grounded why cant the electrician just change the receptacle to three prong?

+1, my thoughts as well.

You can also DIY, takes less than 5 minutes.

I do NOT condone this at all, but I know some people have back grounded using the neutral if you can confirm it's wired correctly. Only seen this practice being used on the only magnetic ballast for florescent lights that required a ground. I've heard of it being used on receptacles. I wouldn't do this personally. Is the box downstairs newer with breakers? If so fishing a new line would be the best option IMO, especially having the computers on their own circuit. Does Albany require you to pull permits just to add a circuit? If so it can't be that much, might even do that out of pocket.

We ran into a problem with the place we're in now. Each bedroom only had one receptacle and no CATV. They didn't want the cable though the newly redone hardwood floors (and I can understand, they're beautiful) so I added a combo receptacle/CATV box in each room on its own circuit. Had to go to break out the Kline flex drill bit set for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back