Moving from PA to Vegas - what oil for the desert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I have a sick oil obsession! I was offered a job in Vegas and currently live in Pittsburgh. I run 5w-30 YB in my 2008 Saturn Aura 2.4. Should I move to 10w-30? I'll be driving the car cross country and concerned about the thinner grade for the trip and once I am living out there in the heat.

Oh and anyone living in Vegas would you recommend the city or no? :)

OT: Have you ever been to Vegas in August?
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
shocked2.gif

Funny you say that. About 12 years ago I thought of relocating the family to Vegas, and I spent 3 weeks there in the month of August. After the first week I decided to can the idea of living in Vegas. People call that heat dry, I tell them to set the oven at 120 and stick their head in to check it out. Too hot for me!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Chris142
shocked2.gif

Funny you say that. About 12 years ago I thought of relocating the family to Vegas, and I spent 3 weeks there in the month of August. After the first week I decided to can the idea of living in Vegas. People call that heat dry, I tell them to set the oven at 120 and stick their head in to check it out. Too hot for me!

I agree. I consider having to carry around an Ove Glove in order to enter buildings and vehicles while keeping all my skin a bit too hot.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80
why change? manuals do not say "5w-30.... unless u live in Nevada"

Actually, that's exactly what they say. Well, not exactly, but close. If you check the charts in the manual, 10-30W is fine, based upon the ambient temp year around. The local GM dealers use 10-30 instead of 5-30 becuse of the temp (found out getting my free first oil changes for new cars).

In the summer, you have to start the car to get the coolant curculating so it will come down to operating temperature.
crackmeup2.gif

I use CG 0-30 in my high performance vehicle, and anything my wife drives (she's pretty much WOT most of the time). Everything else gets PP 10-30.

10W-30 synthetic would be my choice for that situation. Personally I hate Vegas, but I hope it works out for you.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
10W-30 synthetic would be my choice for that situation. Personally I hate Vegas, but I hope it works out for you.

+1

I forgot to mention about Vegas:

1. Public schools here are not good. Plan on private school unless you are very selective on where in town you live.
2. Don't buy a house or condo unless you can get it for less than half the price of 2 years ago.
3. If you live here, decide to not gamble. If you do, forget about buying the house, or getting your kids into decent schools. You won't be able to afford it. If you are married, keep your spouse away from the slots and video poker.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted By: NismoMax80
why change? manuals do not say "5w-30.... unless u live in Nevada"

Actually, that's exactly what they say. Well, not exactly, but close. If you check the charts in the manual, 10-30W is fine, based upon the ambient temp year around. The local GM dealers use 10-30 instead of 5-30 becuse of the temp (found out getting my free first oil changes for new cars).

In the summer, you have to start the car to get the coolant curculating so it will come down to operating temperature.
crackmeup2.gif

I use CG 0-30 in my high performance vehicle, and anything my wife drives (she's pretty much WOT most of the time). Everything else gets PP 10-30.

Castrol,German type one each,Amber in color....
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I live in Phoenix....hotter than Vegas and after living in Houston Texas which is like walking into the mouth of a dog ....
I'll take PHX and 115 and 5 percent humidity over Houston 96/97
and 50+ percent.
Houston was the worse place I ever lived.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
I forgot to mention about Vegas:

1. Public schools here are not good. Plan on private school unless you are very selective on where in town you live.

LV is also rated low for quality of health care compared to other cities.

5w30 is fine, no need to change!

I run my engine in brutal cold and hot humid summers and I use a 5w30 year round. My engine is also hot for 12 hours a day with frequent re-starts and excessive idling and I have no issues running extended OCI's so your 5w30 and normal driving will be more than fine.
thumbsup2.gif

I wish you a safe move...
grin2.gif

XS650}LV is also rated low for quality of health care compared to other cities. [/quote said:
No argument here. If I was going to be cut, I'd go to California just like all the politicians here when they need work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back