Movie Theaters Too Loud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just us or have others noticed a jump in volume levels at movie theaters?
We maybe be bringing earplugs to the next showing.

The last 5 movies I have seen were not loud at all. WAY TOO SOFT. I had to concentrate to hear it. And that sucs.

Yes, I have noticed some theaters have been playing movies louder over the past year or so. I have started bringing earplugs just in case. Many movie theaters just play the commercials excessively loud.

The loud stuff is way too loud and then there are parts that the dialog is so soft I can barely hear. I'm sure most of my problems have to do with hearing damage from years of shooting. But to answer the OP, I always have soft plugs for the movie theater, miserable without them.

I bring earplugs to the theatre. Don't go all that often anymore, easier just to watch something at home on Netflix or HBO.

Originally Posted by Mainia
The last 5 movies I have seen were not loud at all. WAY TOO SOFT. I had to concentrate to hear it. And that sucs.

OP was complaining to management. I've never been to a movie I thought was too loud. I haven't been in years though.

I haven't been to a theater in decades. Today's theaters are a joke compared to the old ones. I can best enjoy movies at home.

The last movie I saw in a theater was the Star Trek one with the whale.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
I bring earplugs to the theatre. Don't go all that often anymore, easier just to watch something at home on Netflix or HBO.

Started doing the same as I find my home setup is nicer and I can wear my pj's and bring my own food!
laugh.gif

The main reason why they are louder is all based on a cheap (low brow) method of improving the audiences experience.
They purposefully spike the volume during action scenes to draw excitement from the audience.

IMHO, this is a terrible way to improve ratings.
This is simply a way to cover up for shoddy acting/terrible writing etc.
If you want to see movies that don't use this, check out some well-reviewed Euro films.

A great way to overcome this is with VLC media player (when watching at home or on your PC).
Simply adjust the volume normalizer and your set!
Now you'll be able to struggle through some of Hollywood's worst (but best rated) films!
thumbsup2.gif

Yes … go with wife and daughter once in a while … earplugs and popcorn please …

Not loud enough, and I have great hearing. I want it slamming with loud audio.

I'm a stickler for good audio in a theater though. We have one here through Harkins that's the Cine One, something like 300 speakers and 150,000 watts of audio power. It sounds amazing. I've seen the last few Star Wars there. Audio perfection.

Here's the info:
https://www.westvalleyview.com/arch...8810dc5-0be3-5cee-b887-03bc5c491a52.html

I haven't been to a theater since Lord of the Rings came out. I would rather wait for the Blu-Ray to be available and watch it at home and be able to pause it for bathroom breaks or food.

Absolutely. I usually end up wadding a piece of Kleenex to stuff in my ears, especially during previews.

We take earplugs. Also complain to mgmt. We are seniors, usually the only two in there for the weekday matinee (how do they pay for the AC in Texas?) Rarely can we tell if they turn it down, so we keep bugging them. Like, who the heck are they playing it so loud for if we are the only ones in there-and we are complaining.
Same for TV. It is supposedly against the law to turn up commercials. I read they get around it by turning up just the treble and it doesn't show up on the instruments used to measure.
[censored], I remember I was maybe 6 or 8? and a friend got a little recorder. We were goofing around on it and J Carson was on in the background. Found that tape years later and was astonished how loud the commercial was when it came on, even then. Ain't a [censored] thing changed........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back