Movie outing...EXPENSIVE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahah i just saw the 7 something for a movie.. I wish. its about... hmm i think its up to 17-19 something for a peak time showing.. matinees are easily 10. id say a movie outing with friends can EASILY run 100+ considering a bag of skittles is 4.75 let alone a drink or popcorn. and then the MPAA wonders why people just download movies or stream them on netflix lol.

Food and drink at sport stadium's concession stand is as expensive as in movie theater.

Watching movie at home is both convenience and you can have any kind of food and drink you like at a much lower cost, hot and spicy chicken wing and cold beer beats overly butter popcorn and coke anytime.

Yea that is frustrating...and outrageous. I quit going to the movies years ago because little of 'the product' appealed to me. I quit the Coke/popcorn thing when the prices went into orbit.

I rent DVD's for free from my local library.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: D189379
It's funny how many people here support "Buy American" but when it comes down to it, what's more "American" than Hollywood and movies? You should be proud of spending the extra money and having it go into your own economy.

You must think all Americans are flag waving simpletons. One common trait among us (at least it used to be) is value. A good, solid product....at a fair, reasonable price.

Its kind of funny....I was reading the thread about some bridge being contracted out to a company in China, and there was quite a discussion about how un-American it was for the gov to send the money overseas, instead of spending considerably more and have it go to a local American bidder.

I guess its only un-American when it comes out of someone elses pocket?

It's funny how many people here support "Buy American" but when it comes down to it, what's more "American" than Hollywood and movies? You should be proud of spending the extra money and having it go into your own economy.

You must think all Americans are flag waving simpletons. One common trait among us (at least it used to be) is value. A good, solid product....at a fair, reasonable price.

Its kind of funny....I was reading the thread about some bridge being contracted out to a company in China, and there was quite a discussion about how un-American it was for the gov to send the money overseas, instead of spending considerably more and have it go to a local American bidder.

I guess its only un-American when it comes out of someone elses pocket?

You seem to indicate being an advocate of globalism. That's fine, although you miss the point of my thread and have this desire to focus your posts on a whole different topic.
I will make a comment here however.....if taxpayer money is to be spent on something as significant as our nations infrastructure, then having any of the work performed by a foreign company should not be allowed. On the other hand....if the costs are so high due to organized labor, then perhaps a non-union U.S. alternative needs to be found.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
It cost her $7.25 to get in....and the same price for the 6 year old. Then she gets two cokes and a medium buttered popcorn. Here's the part where I almost passed out.....total cost of the movie trip for a grandma and grandson.....$32.50!!

So the 2 cokes and medium popcorn cost $18? wow
That's where they make their money for sure

Yep. Even so....charging a 6 year old $7.25 for a matinee seems a bit high. And when a grandma takes a little grandson out to a movie and the kid wants a coke and some popcorn....well...what are ya gonna do....say no? Lesson learned though. Next time she will bring some food and drink into the theater from home (unless she gets a TSA style search).

Actually, the lesson learned should be how to say No to a kid. Who runs the show, him or the grandma?

You seem to indicate being an advocate of globalism.

I don't see a hint of that in his posts.

It cost her $7.25 to get in....and the same price for the 6 year old. Then she gets two cokes and a medium buttered popcorn. Here's the part where I almost passed out.....total cost of the movie trip for a grandma and grandson.....$32.50!!

So the 2 cokes and medium popcorn cost $18? wow
That's where they make their money for sure

Yep. Even so....charging a 6 year old $7.25 for a matinee seems a bit high. And when a grandma takes a little grandson out to a movie and the kid wants a coke and some popcorn....well...what are ya gonna do....say no? Lesson learned though. Next time she will bring some food and drink into the theater from home (unless she gets a TSA style search).

Actually, the lesson learned should be how to say No to a kid. Who runs the show, him or the grandma?

You would make a great grandparent. How dare a grandchild ask for a coke and popcorn at movie!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

You've got to be joking?!
Point is....I didn't have a HINT of 'Buy American' in my thread here.
Geesh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

You've got to be joking?!
Point is....I didn't have a HINT of 'Buy American' in my thread here.
Geesh.

I'm not hinting at anything honestly. I'm just making an observation. I don't know that my point directed at you. It's just something I was thinking as I read some of the posts in the thread, that's all.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Just took the kids to see "The Lion King 3D". Three tickets,three small drinks,and a small popcorn was $62.

shocked.gif
33.gif
The Lion King has been out for many years and you can watch it cheap or free.

Total Ripoff.

Yep,we actually own the original version. I'm blessed with two wonderful kids that wanted to see it in 3D. $62 is a drop in the bucket for something they were excited to see. Its not always about cheap or free.

I'm not mocking your statement or your reasoning. But, for you, $62 might be a drop in a bucket. For me, $62 will feed my family for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back