Moved my SSD to my newer laptop... WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, as some of you know I purchased a SanDisk SSD about a month back.. Well I installed it in my Acer netbook. Well the fact that I don't use the netbook much and that it is kind of old I wasn't getting much out of the SSD. Last night I swapped the SSD into my much newer Gateway NE56R41u laptop and installed Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon. WOW, I wasn't even getting half of the speed out of the SSD in the older netbook! Apps open instantly, 23 seconds for a reboot, and 10 second boot times! I'm very happy with this move as I use that laptop a lot more than the netbook.

I've always wanted to try a SSD, but I've heard bad things about the reliability of the drives. Would it be wise to swap in a SSD for the operating system and applications, and use an external USB drive for pics, music, games, etc.? I'm not sure if a SSD would provide enough room to store a bunch of games on it as that's one of the biggest things I do on my laptop... but the USB drive might be too slow to reliably load games and such.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
but the USB drive might be too slow to reliably load games and such.

Is it USB 3.0? If not, then yeah, it'd be rather slow. I wouldn't use it for games/apps. I'd mainly use external HDD for storing pics, music, videos.

Modern SSDs are very reliable, from what I've read.

Also, I wouldn't trust a USB thumb drive to be anywhere near as reliable as the SSD, which are very reliable nowadays, like Pete said.

If I were in that situation and nervous about reliability, I would use the SSD for everything, then backup to the USB drive periodically.

But, you have plenty of other backups too, of course, right?
smile.gif

23 second reboot still sounds slow. My Windows 8.1 desktop with an SSD can do a full reboot in about half that time...I would think that something lightweight like Mint should be faster?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I've always wanted to try a SSD, but I've heard bad things about the reliability of the drives. Would it be wise to swap in a SSD for the operating system and applications, and use an external USB drive for pics, music, games, etc.?

This is what I intend to do with our desktop at home. I've already moved our data over from the internal HDD to an external USB 3.0 HDD. Not for reliability of SSDs, though...but because of cost. We fill up most of a 500 GB HDD with OS/apps/songs/pics/videos, and that will only grow with time. 500 GB SSDs are prohibitively expensive for us, 1 TB SSDs even moreso...and we'd need one of these (preferrably the 1 TB) if everything were kept on one drive. Our OS (Windows 8.1) and applications take only about 50 GB. So I'll have a 120 GB SSD in the machine with a 500 GB USB 3.0 HDD.

That USB HDD gets cloned (backed up) once a month to a nearly identical one I have (that's only USB 2.0), and that cloned copy stays locked in the Sentry fire safe in our closet. This guards against HDD failure on our main computer, but also against data loss due to theft or fire. If your only data backup is a second internal HDD, you have protection against mechanical failure, but not from someone jacking your computer during a quick smash-and-grab.

We also have our data on an external drive this way...so we can carry it with us if we travel with our laptop.

Yah, I have a 256GB SSD in my tower for OS and certain programs Everything else is on a 3TB RAID 5. My first SSD in it, a Crucial modeliforgetnow died after 16000 hours. But, I had a backup of the drive so I was up and running again pretty quickly.
My Laptop has a 256GB mSATA SSD and a 1TB Hybrid HD for a similar setup.

Last edited:
Same here. I have an SSD in my linux laptop, and it is far faster, even after bootup, than my hefty linux desktop at work.

If I wasn't going to retire in 6 months, I'd slip in a SSD there at my own expense...

Originally Posted By: dparm
23 second reboot still sounds slow. My Windows 8.1 desktop with an SSD can do a full reboot in about half that time...I would think that something lightweight like Mint should be faster?

Those are rough times, including POST and the login screen... I am sure it is actually faster.

I have a 120GB SSD in my lenovo laptop at work now approaching almost 3 years old. It is used 8+ hours a day and I have had no issues. We have 6 other identical machines and they have all been bulletproof as well.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I have a 120GB SSD in my lenovo laptop at work now approaching almost 3 years old. It is used 8+ hours a day and I have had no issues. We have 6 other identical machines and they have all been bulletproof as well.

What brand SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back