Move from Mobil 1 5-30 ER to Pennzoil Plat 5-30

Besides factory fill 2017 Outback 3.6 has only seen Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP for about 107k. My OCI comfort level for the way I drive is 8k-10k. UOA show me 8k is a breeze. I go to 10k if I'm driving increased highway mileage. I've mostly used ST and Mobil 1 in the last decade. I did use PYB often in a 2004 F150 with excellent results.

I have 50 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 and plan on making the move at my next oil change. This Subaru burns less than a quart over that 8k OCI, so I'm good for over 50k with Penz Plat. I don't like to assume so I'll ask. I expect my vehicle to not know the difference between the M1 and Penz Plat but I did wonder what the differences are between the two as well as any nuances since the Penz is natural gas derivative??

Oil filter will remain Fram Ultra.

Pennzoil Platinum ® Full Synthetic Motor Oil helps extend engine life and protects for up to 15 years or 500,000 miles, whichever comes first. Guaranteed. 4 Pennzoil Platinum ® is made from natural gas, not crude. Its base oil is 99.5% free from engine clogging impurities and is designed for complete protection for top engine performance. :love:

My theory? What was once made from gas returns to gas.....:unsure:

Reactions: FZ1
Besides factory fill 2017 Outback 3.6 has only seen Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP for about 107k. My OCI comfort level for the way I drive is 8k-10k. UOA show me 8k is a breeze. I go to 10k if I'm driving increased highway mileage. I've mostly used ST and Mobil 1 in the last decade. I did use PYB often in a 2004 F150 with excellent results.

I have 50 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 and plan on making the move at my next oil change. This Subaru burns less than a quart over that 8k OCI, so I'm good for over 50k with Penz Plat. I don't like to assume so I'll ask. I expect my vehicle to not know the difference between the M1 and Penz Plat but I did wonder what the differences are between the two as well as any nuances since the Penz is natural gas derivative??

If both oils meet the same approvals, the expectation should be that they will perform nary identically.

The PP is lower vis than the EP so you engine will "feel" slightly more "free". Jmo. Let us know.

I hope I'm not hurting any sensibilities, however... Pennzoil is the Budweiser of motor oil.

Mobil 1 makes a higher quality product. As much as I'd like to say that it's all about approvals and licenses and all that good jazz, Mobil 1 is superior to Pennzoil, period.

I hope I'm not hurting any sensibilities, however... Pennzoil is the Budweiser of motor oil.

Mobil 1 makes a higher quality product. As much as I'd like to say that it's all about approvals and licenses and all that good jazz, Mobil 1 is superior to Pennzoil, period.
Let me preface my question by noting that I'm an M1 user.

In what way is M1 a superior oil? Which M1 are you referencing?

Let me preface my question by noting that I'm an M1 user.

In what way is M1 a superior oil? Which M1 are you referencing?
Extended Performance - PAO+GTL+AN or PAO+AN base oil. It's well tested, performs exceptionally well as opposed to Pennzoil's GTL only of GTL+Group III oils in the Ultra lineup.

Extended Performance - PAO+GTL+AN or PAO+AN base oil. It's well tested, performs exceptionally well as opposed to Pennzoil's GTL only of GTL+Group III oils in the Ultra lineup.
Where did you read that the gtl+ group III Pennzoil ultra wasn’t performing well?

Where did you read that the gtl+ group III Pennzoil ultra wasn’t performing well?
Where did you read that it performed better than other formulations? I mean other than Pennzoil's narketing materials that is.

Most (if not all) M1 is group 3. Maybe 0W20 has a splash of pao.
A splash of PAO won't do any good. FYI, PAO is not the only thing that makes M1 EP 0W-20 a good oil, it's the entire combined formulation, like the use if ANs and organic friction reducers. PAO helps tremendously with cold flow. As a counter example, Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 will outperform M1 EP 0W-20 in cleanliness and wear in dirty GDI and Diesel engines, and it's a Group III lube. But it's been formulated for that purpose as it's MB229.71 approved and claims ACEA C5. It will, however not beat Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 in gasoline engines. Pennzoil on the other hand isn't great at either, except at marketing. Then again, everyone can put in their engine whatever they want, it's their money. Just don't pout it in there thinking that it will do any miracles for your engine, it won't.

Anyone remember the addices falling out lf suspension in Pennzoil jugs from a while back? I can't remember ever seeing this problem with Mobil 1 EP.

You’re the one on here making the claims against them, the burdens on you to actually provide anything to back that up. Nice try though
Feel free to use Pennzoil if you want to. I am not here to troll anyone. Things like additives falling out of suspension and a couple of varnished engines with Pennzoil dealer bulk made me swear off the stuff forever.

As to how it performs: only long-term testing and teardowns with accurate measurements can showcase that versus other products. Though given the fact that Mobil 1 never let me down and that I always returned to using Mobil products after using other brands, I have confidence in Mobil's products. AMSOIL and Castrol are other brands with which I have had a good experience.

Just do a google search about the additive issue, and you'll find several pictures. I never had that happen with Mobil 1 motor oils. Consequently, for the price difference, if any, there is absolutely no empiric reason for me to use Pennzoil over Mobil 1, Castrol, or AMSOIL.

Feel free to use Pennzoil if you want to. I am not here to troll anyone. Things like additives falling out of suspension and a couple of varnished engines with Pennzoil dealer bulk made me swear off the stuff forever.

As to how it performs: only long-term testing and teardowns with accurate measurements can showcase that versus other products. Though given the fact that Mobil 1 never let me down and that I always returned to using Mobil products after using other brands, I have confidence in Mobil's products. AMSOIL and Castrol are other brands with which I have had a good experience.

Just do a google search about the additive issue, and you'll find several pictures. I never had that happen with Mobil 1 motor oils. Consequently, for the price difference, if any, there is absolutely no empiric reason for me to use Pennzoil over Mobil 1, Castrol, or AMSOIL.
Let us know if you notice a difference in the 2 oils ie. noise, smoothness., etc.

Pennzoil Ultra does have some settle. So have you figured how to fix that problem? It is OK to throw in your 2 cents… They are all good products. Ford or Chevy conversation on the internet without qualifications.

Let us know if you notice a difference in the 2 oils ie. noise, smoothness., etc.
I only noticed a very slight valvetrain noise reduction when moving up in viscosity. Other than that, everything is subjective and opinion. I've tried PUP 5W-30 in a noisy Hyundai Lambda II 3.3L engine, and it didn't sound any different than Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, Castrol EDGE 0W-40, or Mobil 1 FS 5W-40 in the same engine. I did notice, however, a slight improvement in fuel economy by going thinner in the same engine. I'm running M1 EP 5W-30 in it again, probably for the long haul.

I care about wear control and engine cleanliness. I honestly don't know how well Pennzoil performs in that regard compared to Mobil 1 and AMSOIL. I want to think that Pennzoil, a rebranded Shell Helix Ultra product performs well. For a small blender, AMSOIL, sure enough, conducts plenty of testing for its lubricants. But I have yet to read from folks who ran this stuff for several hundred thousand miles in the same engine, and it's still running well. I've seen folks running Mobil 1 in the same engine for several years with excellent results. There is a 2014 RAM 1500 on the RamForum with over 300K miles on the clock fed a steady diet of M1 EP 5W-20 with 15K OCIs. I've even seen RedLine 5W-30 run in two HEMIs for over 100K miles. I'd like to see something similar with PUP.

Pennzoil Ultra does have some settle.
And that's concerning because additives make up a small but significant percentage of the total lubricant.

They are all good products.
They probably are, and we could maybe and *only* split hairs under extreme conditions.

Ford or Chevy conversation on the internet without qualifications.
Definitively RAM! :ROFLMAO:

Back