Mouthwash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything causes cancer. Seriously, mouthwash? Yesterday I read that HOT TEA causes throat cancer. No, really.

Lets just resign to the fact the it's not this product or that product that causes cancer. It's a byproduct of our polluted, sleep deprived, stressed out, poor nutrition modern lifestyle.

Don't laugh, my wifes mothers uncle died in Sydney from mouth cancer, a non smoker but a man who was obsessive about mouth wash. No mistake the study was very well researched.

I can't possibly cope with all the precautions that one must take to have "peace of mind". Now I'm not starting a career in untethered bungee jumping, but the stress level of having to navigate every nook and cranny of risk would just be way too much.

I'll take fatalism for $2000, Alex.

I got OCD about taking care of my teeth, so I started using Crest Pro Health with no alcohol. but that got too expensive, now I'm using Walmart's Great Value's version.

My wife uses this stuff: http://www.preventionlabs.com/antibacterial.php
Main ingredients (glanced at label last night) are zinc and hydrigen peroxide (NO ALCOHOL). Wweb page has link to MSDS with ingredent list. Our dentist recommended it. They have a variety of other products including several mouth rinses/washes. I buy it at Walgreens, Meijer has carried their products, but not sure if they do anymore.

All I use is ACT Fluoride, and that's to protect the roots of my teeth (yeah, I am getting long in the tooth
LOL.gif
)

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I've already written a mouthwash rant? I vaguely remember that. Yikes, I gotta keep an archive for the sake of convenience.
wink.gif

If you look it up you'll find it was back in 2007 and someone was talking about a link of alcohol mouthwash and cancer. It's titled "Mouthwash"

Well, I don't quite feel the urge to go looking for that thread.
wink.gif

The typical mouthwash contains a mix of irritants. It should be obvious that such a cocktail is likely not good for sensitive tissue. While I don't believe that commonly available commercial mouthwash presents more than a miniscule danger to people's health at large, there is not reason to unnecessarily expose oneself to even as much as the drying out effects of mouthwash that contains alcohol. Why use it if you can avoid it, especially if there are better options? Disinfecting your mouth is a bad idea to begin with, because you will always wipe out the beneficial bacteria, the first line of defense, with the bad. And guess which kind of bacteria will overwhelmingly win and reproduce in the end?

Triclosan and other antimicrobial substances: only a completely blissful ignoramus will put that pesticide willingly in his mouth (mouthwash/toothpaste) or anywhere else (deoderant).

Sodium laureth sulfate may be in mouthwash: it is an irritant to tissue

Alcohol: will over time dry out mucous membranes and may cause dry mouth syndrome. Dry mouth syndrome leads to rotten teeth in mouth-breathers! Dry mouth causes bad breath. Bad breath will lead to increased mouthwash consumption. That's great for business!

Artificial sweeteners like saccharin: no matter how little you end up swallowing, it may be of a concern.

Preservatives: most of them are questionable

Alternatives exist. Most people are just way too lazy to read the labels and to inform themselves. They prefer living in blissful ignorance.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why not just use regular baking soda instead of mouthwash ?

You can do that. It's not harsh and it's about as inexpensive as can be. It also works.

I've been brushing my teeth with baking soda and regular salt for several years now. Of course I've also been gargling with Dr. Tichenor's Antiseptic (75% alcohol, but cut 3:1 with water) for many years, too.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
For almost 40 years I managed to keep a mixture of products containing alcohol in my mouth for the larger part of the day (beer, wine, whiskey) and I don't have mouth cancer......

sounds like a flawed study to me.
beer3.gif

You have been drinking denatured alcohol for 40 years?
wink.gif

I use a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide for brushing my teeth. If I feel the need for mouthwash I use a 50/50 mix water and peroxide.

Recommended by a dentist about 20 years ago and I've used it since.

I used to use Biotene because I dip. Obviously, I wasn't worried about mouth cancer from conventional mouthwashes since I was dipping anyway, but I heard from other people who dip that Biotene is good stuff. I used it, noticed no difference in anything, and it was kind of pricey. I haven't used it in a while.

I have also used Tom's mouthwash, but it didn't seem very effective. I'd have kind of a bad taste in my mouth about an hour after using it. I didn't have that problem with Biotene.

I just need to quit dipping.

Originally Posted By: oil_spaz
I use a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide for brushing my teeth. If I feel the need for mouthwash I use a 50/50 mix water and peroxide.

Recommended by a dentist about 20 years ago and I've used it since.

I use the overpriced Arm & Hammer brand baking soda toothpaste. Not sure if it's really any better than just straight baking soda, but I'm rather fond of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back