Mounting a scope on a pellet gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I have an older break-barrel pellet gun that has no dovetailing along the top of the spring-section. Is there any special technique to mounting a scope to this? Do I need to go buy round brackets that go around it?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I have an older break-barrel pellet gun that has no dovetailing along the top of the spring-section. Is there any special technique to mounting a scope to this? Do I need to go buy round brackets that go around it?
First off, I've never done this to a pellet gun. With that being said, on a lot of guns you had to drill and tap your scope mount to the receiver. Is this a possibility and do you have your scope mount already purchased for your pellet gun?

I think if it is a spring piston air rifle it also takes a special air gun scope that is reinforced.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
No, I just picked up a few scopes at an auction, they have the traditional dove-tail mounts with them.......

Originally Posted By: rickyrat
I think if it is a spring piston air rifle it also takes a special air gun scope that is reinforced.
This would be correct.

Something about air guns wreaks havoc on traditional rifle scopes. Air-gun specific scopes must be used to achieve proper long term performance.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Something about air guns wreaks havoc on traditional rifle scopes. Air-gun specific scopes must be used to achieve proper long term performance.
"Air" rifles have a double recoil since they are spring driven. You are also correct that air rifles require special scopes. Beeman maked scopes for air rifles but I believe they were bought by BSA Optics... A good resource is SWFA.com

Last edited:

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
These are just normal scopes I think. but I have three so I'm not really overly concerned about their longevity......

Status
Not open for further replies.