Motus Motorcycles - Out Of Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motus Motorcycles

One less unique bike on the market. While I wasn't enamored enough to buy one after riding one, as I'm more into pure Sportbikes, I would've liked to see them succeed.

I remember hearing about them a couple years ago on Jay Leno's channel. Interesting bike, and seemed like they were pushing their engines for use in other powersport vehicles also.

Edit: here is the Leno video.

Last edited:
I saw a Motus in the wild for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I were out on a ride and had stopped at a state park for a break. I heard this bike coming down the road with a unique sound, it was a Motus. Along with the unique exhaust note, it also had a lot of mechanical noise (pushrods, Clutch?).

Sad to see, but not unexpected. I think their base model started at ~$28k. The only way to succeed selling exclusively high-priced niche motorcycles is if you already have a large and loyal customer base. Even then you'll probably struggle in these times.

Originally Posted by jeff78
Sad to see, but not unexpected. I think their base model started at ~$28k. The only way to succeed selling exclusively high-priced niche motorcycles is if you already have a large and loyal customer base. Even then you'll probably struggle in these times.
Companies seem to think that if you design and assemble the items in the USA that it should carry a premium price tag. People who buy things for political reasons will shun it, and cheapskates will not pay a 10k premium for bike assembled from imported parts.

I think that these companies see HD selling out and want to try to capture the HD domestic market that is slowly evaporating due to shifting demographics. Millenial hipsters want smartphones, Subarus and adult camps, not some made in USA mechanical beast. You can't slap a old time mustache on HD marketing and expect to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back