Motul X-clean 5w30 C3 in 3SGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering trying Motul X-clean 5w30 C3 for my next service. The car in question is a '99 Toyota Altezza (same body as an IS300) running a 3SGE Beams motor. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a 2L twincam 16v with dual VVTi making 210hp @ 7600rpm.
We've just become Motul retailers at work. Unfortunately we only get a limited range brought into the country. The other options I have in 5w30 are H-Tech 100 Plus or 300V. The H-tech+ looks a bit on the thin side for my mileage (87mi) & 300V is an overkill. My current fill is Mobil1 which the car runs very smoothly on. Everything looks good with the X-clean, higher HTHS but reading on the bottle is says not suitable to use with some vehicles pre 2005. What could possibly go wrong using it in a pre 2005 engine? Mine doesn't meat Euro IV or V emission standards or need a low ash oil which C3 is all about.

Id guess your Toyota is was originally specd for a 5w30 SJ so a 5w30 SN should be all you need. The H-Tech is suitable and closer to the viscosity of M1 5w30 than the Motul 5w30 C3. You can use 5w30 C3 but it's not intended for that application, is probably thicker than necessary and more expensive if you have to pay retail.

Yes H-Tech is closer to M1 but I only have access to H-Tech Plus which is thinner again. It's only 10.1 cSt @ 100°C, although it doesn't list the HT/HS. M1 is 11 cSt. I previously ran a 0w30 with which was 10.6 & 2.9. I found it a little thin with 140K km on the clock.
Think I'm going to use the 8100 X-clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back