Motul Synergie 6100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a 5 litre jug of Motul Synergie 6100 syn 5W40 (I like 5W40) today for A$55 at Autobarn. Pretty surprised to see it at such an everyday auto store. Asked at the counter if they'd sold any?. "People who know oil's are buying it" said the counter dude. It was A$10 more than Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 but I think it's something a little 'out of the ordinary' and worth trying in my 89 Mazda turbo. Anybody else used Motul??...s

Yeah, Motul is definitely more "exotic" than Shell. I'd definitely pay $10 more for it. Here, the difference is much higher.

I've never had access to either oil although I'd like to, but seeing as the Helix Ultra is the factory fill at Ferrari you shouldn't go too far wrong in using it.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Picked up a 5 litre jug of Motul Synergie 6100 syn 5W40 (I like 5W40) today for A$55 at Autobarn. Asked at the counter if they'd sold any?. "People who know oil's are buying it" said the counter dude. Anybody else used Motul??...s

Sprintman, with all due respect, with something as important as the oil that goes into your very own vehicle, one that takes you to work every day, I'd be careful if I were you about buying from somebody who's not on the same page as you. Motul, though they are brilliant, have not exactly worked closely with the English-speaking World as concerns what the Anglo's require in consumer products. Sure, I guess you could say the same thing about Honda's and Toyota's, but the Japanese have more than paid their dues in man-hours, blood and treasure to give Western consumers what they want.

I can just picture in my mind, some guy buying French oil, blowing up his engine, and then the oil manufacturer saying, "Oops! Didn't you read the fine print in French at the bottom of the oil can, stating that this particlar oil was to be used only in Renault Series XYZ?"

Motul's been here a long time but mainly in the bike/kart arena where they have an excellent reputation. The oil I chose is used by the Nismo racing team in Japan and a local web search sees a lot more 'action' in the automotive field here. It's SL/CF etc so don't see hoe I can go wrong realy. Remember my turbo is a test vehicle for lube/fuel products, if it goes 'bang' I'll just plug in another engine/g'box as required.

Dumped the M1 0W40 D1 5W40 mix from the Mazda turbo this morning and installed the Motul Synergie 6100 5W40 syn along with a PureONE filter. Strangest colour oil I've seen, has sort of a pinky/orange tinge but very clear too. Will probably do my first UOA with this oil.

quote:

Dumped the M1 0W40 D1 5W40 mix from the Mazda turbo this morning and installed the Motul Synergie 6100 5W40 syn along with a PureONE filter. Strangest colour oil I've seen, has sort of a pinky/orange tinge but very clear too. Will probably do my first UOA with this oil.

Sprintman: ***** the Motul. Try this: "Selenia 20K." I think it is a 10w-40. It'll meet all your expectations and then some.

[ May 05, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Motul seems OK (engine ssems particularly smooth). What is Selenia 20K?

It is an Italian Oil, approved for use by Alfa Romeo and other famous brand cars. Said to be good for 20,000 kilometres, hence the name.

The information I am about to give is second hand but the source was fairly reliable. I read a report that showed disapointing results with Motul.I belive it was a report in Feriously Fast Fours. It found Amsoil and Mobil-1 to be the top performers out of the oils tested that day. Of course sample size is so small as to be insignificant staticicly but these types of studies sells magizines and drive us to write to one another so their you go!!!

Hi.
I recently bought a Nissan Almera 1.5 vvti. Which oil do you think is the best for the engine, the 6100 SYNERGIE 10W40 or the 8100 x-cess 5W/40?

PS:The manual says that it has to be 10W40.

I don't really think Motul is all what it's craked up to be. I think, Redline, Amsoil, Mobil, Castrol and Fuschs are the top choices. If you can get your hands on Fuchs/Silkolene in Europe, I would go for it.
smile.gif
Sorry for the rant, but of those you mentioned, probably the 5w-40 only because I've seen a virgin analysis of it, but in theory the 10w-40 should be more shear stable.

Yassou Marios,

I think Diana Extra Virgin Olive Oil, is the righr oil, especially in HELLAS!!!
grin.gif

Shell Helix, Mobil 1, AGIP, Castrol synthetics of proper grade are endoxi.
cheers.gif

Kali Tihi...Paul
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I would use Wesson Oil before I'd use a French product.

Hey Molakule, someone you know also got shot in the back by a Frenchman ?. Be careful around here last time I made a derogatory comment about the French all of the bleeding heart liberal ACLU card carrying supporters came out of the woodwork.

Hi Sprintman,

I've been buying Motul from our local Autobarn for probably 2 years. Few however sell it and it depends on the franchise holder. Our local one races cars so he is in the "know" I aslo get a discount so that helps.

I probably would't bother with the 6100 and use M1 instead. Although no a great fan of the most commeon grade 5w-50. I think the 8100 E-tech and 300v are a different matter. I use the 300v and have some 5w-30 and 10w-40 if Ron wants to timkem them.

BTW: I am still waiting for Ron to give me a call regarding some A-RX i ordered after I asked you last for his number. Months ago. Seems he forgot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back