Motul Gear 300 & HPL Differential Life 75W90 VOA comparison!

Samples were given to the lab today; they are a little backed up but results will be posted as soon as they come in. Again, thanks to @ford250 for his donation of Redline 75w90, and also the Amsoil 75w90 I provided. Should be a nice little collection of data once it’s all together… I’ll see if the lab can combine it with the prior Motul and @High Performance Lubricants results so we can see them all in the same chart. This should cover a large portion of the “boutique” gear oils; I’ll see if the lab has results from maybe Mobil 1, Valvoline or others, since more data is always more better! 😂

I’m on day 3 of “testing” the HPL in the 5 speed+LSD in mostly 30deg cold start temps and so far it shifts better than either Shockproof, 2/3 Gear 300 - 1/3 Shockproof, or Subaru HPGO. It’s been filled in the STi 6 speed too but that hasn’t been driven enough to say much. I want to get some warmer days too before definitively saying this is better.

Samples were given to the lab today; they are a little backed up but results will be posted as soon as they come in. Again, thanks to @ford250 for his donation of Redline 75w90, and also the Amsoil 75w90 I provided. Should be a nice little collection of data once it’s all together… I’ll see if the lab can combine it with the prior Motul and @High Performance Lubricants results so we can see them all in the same chart. This should cover a large portion of the “boutique” gear oils; I’ll see if the lab has results from maybe Mobil 1, Valvoline or others, since more data is always more better! 😂
Looking forward to this test not much data on gear oil
So I’m glad to offer a sample and thanks to SubieRubyRoo for all his help !!!👍👍👍

Subie
If they can add the data from off the shelf Mobil 1 and Valvoline
That will be pretty neat to see how those so-called everyday garden variety gear oils stack up against the likes of Redline and Amsoil

Okay… adding this here but may start a separate thread since this is quite broad now. Here’s a multitude of the 75w90 gear oil results. The Redline quart was donated by @ford250 (sorry for the delays!). We can discuss which metrics mean what if people want.
IMG_1087.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay… adding this here but may start a separate thread since this is quite broad now. Here’s a multitude of the 75w90 gear oil results. The Redline quart was donated by @ford250 (sorry for the delays!). We can discuss which metrics mean what if people want.
Thanks for your hard work getting this info.
Looking forward to hearing from the guys who can breakdown the data and share with us what all this means exactly.
Thank you sir

Thanks for your hard work getting this info.
Looking forward to hearing from the guys who can breakdown the data and share with us what all this means exactly.
Thank you sir
My “amateur” take says there are a couple areas where the Redline is not quite “best” but that’s due to RL choice of POE which has inherent properties that just are. Not bad or 2nd tier, just different.

There were some surprising results IMO from the Mobil 1 and Amsoil; Mobil had great oxidation results and Amsoil had phenomenal light-load wear results.

But no matter what brand you choose, there are minor differences that can play into which oil you’d choose depending on your specific usage requirements. In other words, there is no “glaring” shortcoming in any of the oils to say there’s no validity to personal preference. All of them will provide overall great service; they just do it in slightly different methods. 👍🏻

I would have the lab clarify the 4 ball test is equal between your two batches of tests. I would wager a variable changed for such a drastic difference in result.

I would have the lab clarify the 4 ball test is equal between your two batches of tests. I would wager a variable changed for such a drastic difference in result.
I’ll ask 👍🏻

Edit: think about this, wear scar seems like it would be kinda hard to have that big of a calibration problem. But stranger things have happened, I suppose.

Last edited:
My “amateur” take says there are a couple areas where the Redline is not quite “best” but that’s due to RL choice of POE which has inherent properties that just are. Not bad or 2nd tier, just different.

There were some surprising results IMO from the Mobil 1 and Amsoil; Mobil had great oxidation results and Amsoil had phenomenal light-load wear results.

But no matter what brand you choose, there are minor differences that can play into which oil you’d choose depending on your specific usage requirements. In other words, there is no “glaring” shortcoming in any of the oils to say there’s no validity to personal preference. All of them will provide overall great service; they just do it in slightly different methods. 👍🏻
What does KRL post and % diff terminology mean ?
Thanks

What does KRL post and % diff terminology mean ?
Thanks
See below for KRL explanation; % diff is the viscosity loss in % due to mechanical shear which is what the KRL test tells us.

I’m approaching time to dump and drain rear gear oil. RL in now I no longer tow or haul much anymore so not sure I need RL

Subie
If they can add the data from off the shelf Mobil 1 and Valvoline
That will be pretty neat to see how those so-called everyday garden variety gear oils stack up against the likes of Redline and Amsoil
I’d like to do this with Delo ESI 75w-90 with the boron-based additive package.

Back