Motul Gear 300 75W-90

Is there anything special about this gear oil? Is it comparable to Redline/Amsoil?

I ask because Redline availability has been spotty lately (with my supplier) and Motul is always available. The price is a bit higher than Redline as well.

its really good. I've used it in MT on subaru and it was better than redline.

IF you need redline summit racing seems to always have it.

to find on summit's website type RED into their search then wait for it and click redline synth oil, if you search redline synth oil it wont work.(crap outdated website)

The main difference is in the base oil. Redline is ester/V and motul contains group 4? IIRC

The main difference is in the base oil. Redline is ester/V and motul contains group 4? IIRC
Considering the price point of RL I doubt it is mostly Ester.

Redline has always sold themselves as a brand that used more ester than other brands, but I think it is still majority PAO.

Considering the price point of RL I doubt it is mostly Ester.

Redline has always sold themselves as a brand that used more ester than other brands, but I think it is still majority PAO.
You may be right. the SDS is not very useful
Synthetic Lubricant Base OilVARIOUS Polysulfides, di-tert-butyl68937-96-2 2.5-4.99
Reaction products of bis)2-methylpentan-2-yl)dithiophosphoric acid with phosphorus oxide,propylene oxide and amines, C12-14 alkyl (Branched)NONE 1-2.49
Oleylamine112-90-30 .1-0.24

Is there anything special about this gear oil? Is it comparable to Redline/Amsoil?

I ask because Redline availability has been spotty lately (with my supplier) and Motul is always available. The price is a bit higher than Redline as well.
IMO, you can never go wrong with Motul.
I know from BMW folks they like Motul in gears more than Redline (I have Redline D4 in my gear box now), and Redline was for a long time go to for BMW crowd.

It's supposed to be the best gear oil for Subaru manual transmissions, which are combined with the front differential and are said to be picky with oil. If I had a manual Subaru, it would get Motul Gear 300. I usually like to use the cheapest whenever possible, but in this case it seems Motul is actually the one to use. And since you're more willing to spend the extra money, do it :)

Thankfully, my Subaru is automatic, which has the front diff separate; nether are picky at all.

What kind of car are you going to use it on? :unsure:

Nothing really 'special' that I've come across other than I've been recommended to use Motul over Redline numerous times for extreme [track] applications more than Redline. The price locally here is slightly higher for Motul though.

Its a:
75w90
GL5
no-LS additive

Use it without worry

I would use it or Redline 75w90NS. And, I remember years ago older MSDS from Redline showing their gear oil >50% PAO. Mostly ester marketing....

Coin toss among GL5 full synthetic 75w90 GL5's. I just don't use or recommend LS additives when not needed. So, Motul/Redline/.... tend to get my money. And, neither has been any better/worse in my differentials or transfer cases. Manual transmission usage is 'owner and transmission' dependent.

Since this is a cheapskates forum, don't forget this one:

And, don't rule out OE fluids. GM/Mopar/Ford have pretty good gear oils, if you can read around their PN schemes and supersessions.

Back