Motul datasheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Thanks for posting this! It's definitely good to finally see some specs on this oil!

The 0w40 definitely looks like a decent oil, this is the oil my friend sells at his speed shop in Woodbridge, and he really wanted me to try this oil in my car and do oil analysis on it. But even though he was going to sell me the oil at his cost, it would've been $11.50 per liter, almost double what I pay for GC 0w30.

So which of these oils will you be trying out?

Patman, I'm not going to try them this winter. I used Amsoil S2K 0W-30 last winter and the oil analysis after 9K KM was exceptional, so I'll stick with it this winter as well. The price is the same for both oils.

I was thinking of running the Motul 0W-40 in my parents' Passat V6 (which likes a 40 weight), but I think I'll use the M1 0W-40 in it since the price is nearly half, and my parents drive it pretty easily.

quote:

Originally posted by Ferrari:
Patman, I'm not going to try them this winter. I used Amsoil S2K 0W-30 last winter and the oil analysis after 9K KM was exceptional, so I'll stick with it this winter as well.

Did you post that UOA report on here? If not, could you please?
smile.gif

Did you notice that the ester based oil had a pour point almost double it's PAO brother!
-76 is a nice pour point compared to the PAO 5W40's -36.

That's what makes it so critical to get the results to the GC pour point test that Patman ordered but so far has not gotten...so we can see what kind of animal we really have in GC...esters or PAO.

Motul 8100 0W-40
Ester based synthetic oil
Data Sheet
HTHS: 3.66
NOACK: 9.8%

Motul 8100 5W-40
PAO based synthetic oil
Data Sheet
HTHS: 3.57
NOACK: 11.1%

Motul 300V 5W-30
Ester based racing oil
Data Sheet
HTHS:
NOACK:

Motul 300V 5W-40
Ester based racing oil
Data Sheet
HTHS:
NOACK:

I posted this FYI since Motul is pretty tight-lipped about it's specs...

Viscocity Index of 196 for 300V 5w-40! Thats a very very nice figure...

Perhaps the 300V pour points arent the best out there because 300V wouldnt contain as much Pour Point Depressants as say, M1. I mean for an oil designed for competition use, Motul would probably forsee little relavence for such an additive. B

I have a Toyota 4.7 v-8 Tundra that is about 1000 miles into Motul 8100 5w-40. I have three past analysis of Amsoil 5w-30 and 0w-30. I should hit 4-5000 miles by the first of the year and will post a UOA. I wish someone would try the 0w-40 ester based oil I would have, but the distributer was out of it. As I recall it was a about a buck a liter more than the 5w-40. Competively priced if it is worth a rip.

I was looking for the 8100 5W40 as Synergie 6100 5W40 is now obsolete but ended up buying BP Visco 5000 5W40 (13.95 cSt @ 100C) as it was such a bargain. Will definitely try the 8100 though at some stage.

From the Motul Data sheet:

Point éclair ASTM D92 226°C / 438°F

Gotta admit, not bad for an oil whose esters are derived from old chocolate éclairs; funny I always thought the esters Motul used were derived from coconuts!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back