Motul 8100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone has experiences with Motul 8100?

Huge differences compare to other brand like Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1 or Motul 300v?

Thanks!

We do have it here, however I haven't used it. Do do use the 300v oils 5w-30 & 10w-40.

What huge differences are you referring to?

Motul 8100 has different ester based or non ester based version. 0w40 and 0w30 is the ester based version. others are not.

Motul 300v is group 5 oil, so I want to know Motul 8100 is in which group. Same as 300v or just like Mobil 1 in group 3.

Thanks!

8100 uses group 4 and 5 base stocks, as does 300V AND Mobil 1. Not sure why you think that Mobil 1 is group 3.

Motul 300v (ester based) - Group 5
Motul 8100 - Group 4?
Redline - Group 5
Amsoil - Group 4
Mobil 1 SuperSyn- Group 4
Castrol Syntec - Group 3

Motul 8100 has different versions:
E-Tech lite 0W30 (ester based)
Ester E-Tech 0W-40 (ester based)
Eco-nergy 5W30
X-cess 5W40

Is it ester based will count as group 5? Non-ester based will be group 4?

Motul 8100 E-Tech Lite 0W30 - Ester (Group 5)
Motul 8100 E-Tech 0W40 - Ester (Group 5)
Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 5W30 - PAO (Group 4)
Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W40 - PAO (Group 4)

It depends on how Motul uses the term "ester based." They will have esters and PAO, just like Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil, etc.

Therefore, Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 5W30 - PAO (Group 4) and Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W40 - PAO (Group 4) will be mostly same quality as Mobil 1 or Amsoil ? It seems like Motul in my place cost way more than Mobil 1. Comments please!

I would even say that the E-Tech (Ester) 8100 is probably similar to M1 as well performance wise. Maybe a little better. I was either going to put the 8100 E-Tech or the 300v 5w-30 in one of my cars. On checking the viscosities they seemed similar so I have gone for the 300v, I didn't need either the 0 or 40 and I thought a 25 spread would be more shear stable than a 40 spread.
My 2c worth.

Anyone has experiences with Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 5W30- PAO (Group 4) compare to Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w30 - PA0 (Group 4)?

offtopic.gif

Johnny, man I miss hearing from you !!! Nice to know you are still kicking. Cold here in Texas today high of 55F.
cheers.gif

Presently I have Motul Excess 5w-40 in a 2001 Toyota Tundra 4.7L V-8, and a 2000 Subaru Legecy 4cyl.

If I remember right I have about 3000 miles on the Toyota and 500 on the Subaru.

I will sample the oil on each at about 4000 miles, and send it to Blackstone. The suspense is killing me as I have three other analysis that were done when I ran Amsoil. Each yeilded good numbers.

So far it seems just fine. Zero consumption on both, but neither vehicle ever uses oil.

I've got the 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 in my VW 1.8T right now and I'm very excited to have found a G4 5W-40 that meets all VW requirements (especially the 5W-40 part) and is API SL. I've been running it for about 1000 miles.

The engine seems to run smoother, though I don't see how that could really be the case, and the local import shop (both mechanics drive VWAG products) was really intrigued with the oil when I brought it to them. Anyway, the idle, never bad, is unusually rock-steady while this oil happens to be in there.

This oil does not smell very good, however. So if you keep some in the car with you, it won't be a very pleasant traveling companion.

Despite being '5W' cold starts (between 20F and 32F) seem to take a little bit more cranking effort, like when I had some Mobil 1 15W-50 in there during the winter. It's also an unusual orange color.

I've ordered a kit to do a UOA, so maybe I can offer something more factual about it later.

[ December 11, 2003, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: 1781cc ]

As I posted in the VOA section, a guy in my car club has a speed shop which sells this oil and he's been hounding me to try it, even offered to sell it to me for his cost. But at $11.50 per liter, it's still more than the $6.66 I pay for GC, and I'm very happy with the performance of GC.

But now he's telling me he might be able to get me 3 oil changes worth of this oil for free! So I may have no choice but to test this oil now (how can I say no to an offer like this without him getting severely PO'd at me?)

If I do run this oil, do you guys think I should do a third interval with GC first? So far I did one 3100 mile interval with GC, and will be doing this current interval to 6200 miles. If I do a third GC interval, how long should I run it? And then how long should I run the first, second and third interval with Motul 0w40? (keeping in mind I drive 18,000 miles per year, and from Nov to March the temps here can get kinda cold, down to 0F or lower on occasion)

Its very suprising Motul is extremely expensive to M1 in other countries. Here is cheaper than M1.. And in the states in some instances Motul is double the price? Crazy.. I would take the cheaper of the two when it comes to 8100 vs M1 SS.

Patman, I suggest running GC for another 6000 mile interval so you can compare with your second GC interval. Yes you will have to wait longer, who who said any UOAs were quick? LOL

I'm thinking of doing this now. I ran GC for a 5000km interval initially, and this one now will be 10000km, which puts me at the beginning of March. I figure I'll do one short 6000km interval with GC, then a 6000km interval with Motul. After that, I should then do an 8-10000km interval with Motul, the exact length depends on how much driving I do, because by the time I hit that point it should be getting close to fall of 2004, so I'd want to change the oil before it gets cold again.

Truth be told, I'd honestly rather stick with GC. I don't honestly think Motul will be better.

Today I saw a new packing for Castrol Syntec for 5w30 in Canada which say SL standard at the back label. Before it is just SJ standard. Is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back