Motul 8100 X-Cess Gen 2 5W-40, 2000mi, 2020 Toyota Supra

Short mileage, I know, but wanted to see how the engine was wearing vs the spec'd SN C5 0w-20. Previous analysis stated try another sample at 2k-3k miles. 1st sample is the factory fill, 2nd sample was with the unique 0w-20 specifically made for the Supra from Toyota.

suprasample.JPG

Hmmm, big drop in KV100 and flashpoint. Indicates fuel dilution.
I saw quite a lot of UOA of this oil on BMW forums in S55 and B58 engines, including track and they looked much better even after 5k OCI.

Short mileage, I know, but wanted to see how the engine was wearing vs the spec'd SN C5 0w-20. Previous analysis stated try another sample at 2k-3k miles. 1st sample is the factory fill, 2nd sample was with the unique 0w-20 specifically made for the Supra from Toyota.

View attachment 96070
Quite a jump in viscosity from the 0-20 to 5-40. What engine differences did you notice, if any, going from the 0-20 to the 5-40.

Hmmm, big drop in KV100 and flashpoint. Indicates fuel dilution.
I saw quite a lot of UOA of this oil on BMW forums in S55 and B58 engines, including track and they looked much better even after 5k OCI.
Thoughts on cause for not being as stellar of a report as the others you've seen? Fuel% doesn't seem extreme. Possible residual 0w20 vs fuel?

What’s the factory OCI for the Supra?

What made you want to try a thicker oil?
10k miles/12 months

I wanted something more robust vs the 0w20. Car is tuned and I beat on it a fair bit and wanted the added protection.

Thoughts on cause for not being as stellar of a report as the others you've seen? Fuel% doesn't seem extreme. Possible residual 0w20 vs fuel?
Yeah, it doesn’t show current fuel dilution. A lot of residual oil had to stay to lower that much. Gen2 starts at 13.5. Possible. But flesh point still confuses me. Maybe one more OCI to clear up 0W20 and see b

Yeah, it doesn’t show current fuel dilution. A lot of residual oil had to stay to lower that much. Gen2 starts at 13.5. Possible. But flesh point still confuses me. Maybe one more OCI to clear up 0W20 and see b
Updated report. Same oil. Gotta love the commenter :)

Anyways, yes this is a very low milage report, but something about the oil sitting in there for almost a year bothers me but it doesn't seem to matter much. 1,688 tuned and hard driven miles. I may take it longer if age is not an issue. Also appears all the 0W-20 is out (if that was indeed the cause for the drop in KV100).

1677110214073.jpg

Interesting VOA. Didn’t know KV100 differentiated so much. Nothing to worry than.
I'm curious on what the variable could be to show such a difference between the manf specs and a VOA, but it does somewhat explain a comparable drop to the UOA.

@afree — different base oil, different batch = slight differences in the final product.

You’d think it would be identical but real world analysis shows otherwise, obviously.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Run it longer. Do 3k and let’s see how it looks.

Looks likle would be expected - the 40W Euro oils all seem to drop down into the 11s KV100 after even v. short runs in turbo engines like this one. Wear metals at ~5K are now basically background values from all the early oil changing. That factory fill looks good with all that moly and boron. I don't buy the comments about the bit of 20W left in there, it has to be such a tiny amount vs. the new oil fill volume....just a bit of fuel and the normal bit of shearing. You could remove the visosity data from your UOAs and say you used basically any oil you want and the data would make sense...you won't see any meaningful difference in the wear metals form the 20W to the 40W is my thought.

Looks likle would be expected - the 40W Euro oils all seem to drop down into the 11s KV100 after even v. short runs in turbo engines like this one. Wear metals at ~5K are now basically background values from all the early oil changing. That factory fill looks good with all that moly and boron. I don't buy the comments about the bit of 20W left in there, it has to be such a tiny amount vs. the new oil fill volume....just a bit of fuel and the normal bit of shearing. You could remove the visosity data from your UOAs and say you used basically any oil you want and the data would make sense...you won't see any meaningful difference in the wear metals form the 20W to the 40W is my thought.
BMW B58 engine has two oil coolers. One radiator type and one heat exchanger. You will have anywhere between 0.5 and 1qt of oil left.

Back