Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40, 20,509mi, '06 Audi A3 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40 UOA on a 2006 Audi A3 2.0T w/149,880 miles. 20,509mi run. Daily-driven with 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving in southeast climate. Customer went well past our recommended interval of 10K. The 8100 X-cess 5W40 did surprisingly well.

VOA Sample
-----------

Manufacturer Data Sheet
-----------------------

Titanium could be an additive in one or both of the makeup quarts or from a previous fill.

first I thought: [censored], 55 Iron is quite above average - but then I've realised the 20.000mile OCI.

Pretty good figures fot that long OCI. Seems like a very good Oil!

Could you explain the extra amount of P and Zn in UOA comparing to VOA?
P: 954 vs 890
Zn: 1177 vs 980.

Magnesium is even "better": 441 vs 16. No, something is not accurate here.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Titanium could be an additive in one or both of the makeup quarts or from a previous fill.

You're correct. The customer added approx 1-1/2 of another product just prior to the drain. I wish Blackstone would add a section for notes the customer added when the sample was mailed. I don't have notes here on what the customer used and can't remember.

Originally Posted By: timeau

It has to be due to the makeup oil just prior to our drain sample. I should have stated that in the OP.

Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus

It has to be due to the makeup oil just prior to our drain sample. I should have stated that in the OP.

OK.
For example, you have 80 proof wiskey in a glass and in the bottle. You drank a half of glass and fill it again from the same bottle. Will you have 120 proof wiskey after this? Of it still be 80 proof?

But they didn't use the same bottle. They used something else.

Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus

OK.
For example, you have 80 proof wiskey in a glass and in the bottle. You drank a half of glass and fill it again from the same bottle. Will you have 120 proof wiskey after this? Of it still be 80 proof?

Originally Posted By: drtyler
But they didn't use the same bottle. They used something else.

Exactly! So which conclusions could be done in this case? I suspect that some diesel oil was used for make up.

I'm going to be sending another sample of 8100 Xcess in for a VOA. Here's a set of UOAs using the same oil on a somewhat similar Audi engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back