Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 - "100% Synthetic"??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this oil in my 1.8T VW now, it seems OK, but does anyone (including Motul?) have any idea what kind of "synthetic" this really is? The pour point and flash point aren't great: (-38C/-38F;228C/442F)

http://www.triplecaution.us

Is that why no one is pushing this stuff?

It's the only 'by the book' (5W-40, ACEA, SL, VW 502.00/501.01/505.00) synthetic oil for this car in the US, and it's barely available (most people selling it are pretty casual about it).

Thanks for the input.

[ December 04, 2003, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: 1781cc ]

It replaced the Motul Synergie 6100 5W40 which I currently have in my Mazda (some M1 SS 0W40 in there as top up). 8100 is a better oil than the 6100 but not ester I believe. Probably PAO but who knows?

I don't know, but I know what you mean.

One reseller here in an informal write-up (not Motul company copy) says "no ester", but also says "petroleum based."
dunno.gif
Is this how to sell "synthetic"?

I phoned saying "I have a technical question" and the person who answered was the least excited person I spoke to all day. She said she didn't know. Then she gave me the east coast distributor's phone #. They weren't answering their phone and haven't called back yet.

If it were what people would consider a true "synthetic", it should sell well to 1.8T folks if any effort were put into it...except for those un-exceptional pour-point and flash-point numbers....

Those guys are just retarded. The bottle in the picture has "100% synthetic" written right on the front. So much for being petroleum based.

quote:

Originally posted by cvl:
8100 is 100% synthetic and has a lot of esters in it.

NO. Only the 8100 Ester 0W-40 and 0W-30 are Ester based.

1781cc, Motul 8100 5W-40 is 100% PAO. It is 100% Synthetic, but contains no Esters.

Awesome! 100% PAO is good. But how did you find this out? I realize Motul is a French company, but surely they can do better than this in English -speaking markets... And what's up with their distys/resellers? They seem like they're on an all-day lunch break.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
It replaced the Motul Synergie 6100 5W40 which I currently have in my Mazda (some M1 SS 0W40 in there as top up). 8100 is a better oil than the 6100 but not ester I believe. Probably PAO but who knows?

You've got it the wrong way round! The 8100 5W-40 has replaced the 6100. Even www.motul.com.au doesnt list the 6100 anymore.

Not trying to post in place of Sprintman, but I think you will find he is trying to say he replaced the 6100 he already had (or had) in his vehicle with 8100.

1781cc, I emailed Motul and they (indirectly) told me it was 100% PAO. Group III oils cannot be called synthetic in Europe, so the only synthetics are PAOs and Esters. 8100 5W-40 contains no esters, so...

theguru, 8100 Ester 0W-40 is available in the US. Here is one dealer in California that carries it.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Not trying to post in place of Sprintman, but I think you will find he is trying to say he replaced the 6100 he already had (or had) in his vehicle with 8100.

Hmmmm after reading the post again yes thats probably what he meant! Whoops... Its a 2 way meaning his statement!
wink.gif

I guess the flash point is actually pretty good, but I'm still puzzled by the somewhat high -39C/-38F pour point.

After 1000 miles this oil is the same orange color as new. I *think* the engine is somewhat quieter. Up to now, M-1 10W-30 has been my typical fill, though I've used M-1 15W-50 a few times, too.

Leo poor Aussie oops English. Motul replaced 6100 with 8100 which is PAO I believe whereas the 0W40 version has some ester if not 100%. I have 6100 in Mazda now but about to be replaced by BP Visco 5000 5W40. I'll have to use better grammar from now on.

Oops, this oil is not orange. It's almost clear. Somehow, after only 130 miles, it came out orange -looking, and I now see it in a jar. It's totally black! Guiness black. Is this because I used an extractor and dredged up some crap from my oil pan? Or did the people I paid to do the oil not really do it (the filter is different for sure)? This is why I'm going to do it myself from now on. It's a real pain in the neck on this car though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back