Motul 8100 0W-40 Ester

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a VOA done by WearCheck Canada. The oil is Motul 8100 0W-40 Ester.

code:

Silicon 5.9

Boron 1.5

Calcium 1256

Magnesium 857

Molybdenum 0

Sodium 1.4

Phosphorus 831

Sulfur 1781

Zinc 1015

Iron 2.7

Aluminum 8.9

Lead 0.8

Visc@40C 76.8

Visc@100C 13.7

TAN 0.481

TBN 9.68

All other elements were 0

Motul data sheet

What do you guys think of this oil? According to Motul, it has a TBN of 10.8.

[ November 26, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Calcium seems less than half of other oils. Sure ya didn't transpose the "1" and the "2"?

And a significant amount of iron for a virgin test. Hm.

I've been seeing this on the shelves but the lack of information has kept me from filling the sump. Now we have a little bit...

ferb!

Ferb, there is not much Calcium in this oil but remember that there is also 857 ppm of Magnesium which is also a detergent. Mobil in the past used a lot of Magnesium it's Tri-Synthetic Mobil 1. Tri-Synthetic Mobil 1 also used less Calcium than the current formulation of Mobil 1 SuperSyn. I think this oil will perform very similarly to Mobil 1 0W-40 SuperSyn.

[ November 26, 2003, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ferb:

I'm more concerned with the high aluminum!

This oil costs double what Mobil 1 and GC cost up here, so it better perform pretty good! Are you going to run it in your car and do a UOA too Ferrari?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Ferb:

I'm more concerned with the high aluminum!

This oil costs double what Mobil 1 and GC cost up here, so it better perform pretty good! Are you going to run it in your car and do a UOA too Ferrari?

Why is it high?
What was the Virgin level?(8+)
Did not I recall this brand oil show metals in the virgins or am I mistaken? (so it's suppose to be here and the engineers designed it this way.

ANyway anything inder 30 is no concern and anything less than 10-15 is still "o.k." although I would be concerned... lest just see how this does over a couple samples in a real engine, if the numbers go up then theres something to be concerned over.

TBN = 9.68

Patman, please update that in my original post. For some reason I can't update it.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

Why is it high?
What was the Virgin level?(8+)
Did not I recall this brand oil show metals in the virgins or am I mistaken? (so it's suppose to be here and the engineers designed it this way.

ANyway anything inder 30 is no concern and anything less than 10-15 is still "o.k." although I would be concerned... lest just see how this does over a couple samples in a real engine, if the numbers go up then theres something to be concerned over.

This is the virgin sample Robbie, not a UOA.

Ferrari,

Well, my French is a little rusty, but ...

This looks like a 100% diester (di-basic acid ester) synthetic. In that respect, it's similar to the basestock Amsoil used from 1972 until about 1980 or so. Motul is using low viscosity esters, hence the extremely low PP and modest flash point.

I ran the ester based, Amsoil 10w-40 for several years in my 1976, Datsun 620 pickup and really liked it. The esters keep the engine clean enough to eat off of.

With these types of synlubes, you can chemically engineer some of the desirable properties into the basestock, so the required additive "treat" level is less. You really can't compare the add pack to a PAO in that sense.

It's probably not an oil you'd find in Lynn & **** Cheneys garage out in Jackson Hole,
wink.gif
but I like it ....Seriously though, it should flow as well as the S2000 you used last year. How do prices compare on the two oils?

TS

LEts remember that some lots of GC had 9ppm of iron in the VOA. THe pipes in these plants are just getting older. I would not be too concerned.

THe mag. make up for the lower calcium levels. I am a bit disapointed with the zink levels considering that their is no real Boron or Moly to take up some of the slack. If this is their ester based product then they must be relying on the hydrodynamic propertys of the esters to make up for this. If this is 40% ester based not counting diesters then it should stil do very well. The real question is will it be worth double the cost of GC or M1? THis we will see.

TooSlick, if esters are (supposedly) superior to PAOs, why did Amsoil decide to switch?

I can get the Motul 0W-40 for CDN$11/L (US$8.4/L), which is less than the dealer cost for Amsoil S2K 0W-30.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
The real question is will it be worth double the cost of GC or M1? THis we will see.

I wouldnt say its better, probably more on par with M1 SS. And its definitely not worth double the price. Over here in Australia the M1 SS 0W-40 is 50% more expensive than the Motul 8100!

Last time I checked, a place wanted $128 for the 0W-40 SS M1. Thats bloody ridiculous IMO. Thats the same price as redline!!

Leo,

Thinking of mixing the 8100 E-tech with 300v 5w-30 (seems that it is a high 30w & the 8100 a low 40w). What do you think?

[ December 06, 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: theguru ]

A guy in my car club sells this oil at his speed shop and he's been begging me to try it out, but even with him knocking a couple of bucks off the price of each bottle, it would still be $11 each, vs $6.66 for GC.

But now he's trying to see if Motul will donate 3 oil changes worth of oil (18L) for free! This guy is really determined to get me to run this oil! I really want to stick with GC though, but at the same time I'm super curious about this oil.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back