Motul 8100 0W-40, 7K KM, 2001 Prelude VTEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Honda Prelude, 2.2L VTEC, 5L oil capacity, Amsoil SDF-20 oil filter, 70,000KM on engine.

Oil used was Motul 8100 0W-40 Ester, 7000KM on current sample, previous oil was Amsoil 10W-30 ATM.

NOTE: I forgot to take sample while oil was draining into the pan, so I had to take sample from drain pan. Drain pan was relatively clean though.

Silicon 9.1 (5.9 virgin)
Potassium 1.8
Sodium 0.2
Fuel Glycol Water Sulfation 209
Nitration 55

Boron 9.1
Barium 0.1
Calcium 1369
Magnesium 826
Molybdenum 0.8
Sodium 0.2
Phosphorus 811
Sulfur 1971
Zinc 1057
Visc@100C 11.8 (13.7 virgin)
Oxidation 68
TBN 7.38 (9.68 virgin)

Iron 17 (2.7 virgin)

Chromium 1.4
Titanium 0.2
Copper 2.5
Aluminum 12 (8.9 virgin)
Tin 1.1
Lead 4.0
Silver 0.3

This is disappointing. Oil has sheared down 2cSt in 7,000KM. Iron is pretty high as well, compared to last winter's Amsoil 0W-30 which yielded 9ppm of iron after 9,000KM. I'll try this oil for a further 10,000KM and test again, hopefully it'll be better. This oil costs $11/L as well, almost as much as Amsoil 0W-30.

quote:

Originally posted by Ferrari:
NOTE: I forgot to take sample while oil was draining into the pan, so I had to take sample from drain pan. Drain pan was relatively clean though.

Dear Ferrari,
No offense here. I wouldn't trust the result since the sample was contaminated
spaz.gif
Like you said, test this oil again at 10,000 Km.

quote:

Originally posted by Ferrari:
BTW, this lab reports all Fuel strong>

If you're using Wearcheck Canada (and IIRC you are), you can specify that you want an exact fuel percent number and then it'll be more precise. My UOA from last winter in my car showed 1.0% fuel for instance. But that's the only time fuel has shown up on any of my reports from them. I always ask for the exact fuel percent and on the other reports it comes back saying 0.0, instead of less than 2.

You can write it in the comments section on the job ticket, or you can view your test online before it's finished and manually add the fuel dilution test that way too. It does not cost extra.

I don't think that the viscosity nubmer would be affected by the error in sample collection. I'm very surprised that this oil has sheared down so much so quickly, if that number is correct.

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
I'm very surprised that this oil has sheared down so much so quickly, if that number is correct.

Test's results from our car magazine also showed quite high viscosity loss in Motul 0W-40 (the highest shear among tested OW-40 oils). But to be fair, we don't know exactly at which degree a high fuel content had an impact on the viscosity.

As I have said repeatedly, ANY 0w-40 oil will shear in a high performance application, regardless of the quality of the basestock blend!

Current basestock technology does not exist to make a shear stable 0w-40 or 5w-50 grade; that sells for a price folks are willing to spend ....

Needless to say, the Series 2000 provided better results in this particular application....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/dixie_synthetics

TurboFrog, could a contaminated sample be responsible for a 2cSt drop at 100C? I know the iron might be skewed, but the viscosity?

Patman, thanks for the info! I'll cann WearCheck ASAP and ask them for an actual %.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
As I have said repeatedly, ANY 0w-40 oil will shear in a high performance application, regardless of the quality of the basestock blend!

Current basestock technology does not exist to make a shear stable 0w-40 or 5w-50 grade; that sells for a price folks are willing to spend ....

Needless to say, the Series 2000 provided better results in this particular application....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/dixie_synthetics

I don't necesarily disagree with your assertion, but, why then, did Mercedes/McLaren pick M1 5W50 as its factory fill...I suspect M/M owners can afford an oil at a higher price than most folks are willing to spend...one that wouldn't shear in their supercar. Cheers!

[ January 31, 2004, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Did WearCheck flag anything on the report? The oxidation and nitration numbers seem very high. TBN looks good though.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
Did WearCheck flag anything on the report? The oxidation and nitration numbers seem very high. TBN looks good though.

I ignore my oxidation and nitration numbers from Wearcheck, as I honestly don't believe them to be accurate, and I believe Terry thinks this too. Sometimes they'll show really high values even if the oil only has 700 miles on it (such as with a baseline sample I took last year at the beginning of a run) and other times it'll look too low (such as showing 0% oxidation in 6900 miles in my sister's car-simply not possible)

I like Wearcheck a lot, but I don't think their oxidation/nitration setup is calibrated to read synthetic oils properly at all.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I like Wearcheck a lot, but I don't think their oxidation/nitration setup is calibrated to read synthetic oils properly at all. [/QB]

Wearcheck USA, came right out and told me that they could read oxidation, sulfation and nitration numbers on synthetics.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back