Motul 300V Power Racing 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was finally able to pick up 3 x 2 litre bottles of this stuff today, after a long search.

I also came across this MSDS on the 'net for this product :

http://www.motul.com.au/product_lin...t/pdf/4stroke/300V_POWER_RACING_5W30_8255.pdf

I'm a beancounter, not a chemist....could Molakule or anyone else please interpret the juicy bits of the ingredients ?
smile.gif

Losiho, Where did you buy it and what was the damage? Our local Autobarn seems to be going out of the stuff, as last time I had a look they had no 5w-30 or 10w-40. I have spoken to the local motorbike shop that uses it and he said that he could get a price for me. I said I would pass at this stage on the 20ltr drum, 2 ltr containers would suffice.

Autobarn Doncaster, $45.99 for 2 litres, which is their "standard" price for any 2L 300V grade. They only had 3 bottles of 5W-30, no 5W-40 or 10W-40, one bottle of 0W-20, and the usual older 5L jugs of 15W-50.

I was paying 10-15% less as a discount, not much use if they don't have it. It also used to be priced as $39.95 rrp. Doncaster was an alternative source but they generally had less in stock than Ringwood. Kinda lacking in the oil knowledge area. Not seen the 0w-20. I think everywhere has the old faithull 15w-50 in some brand or another.

You're not wrong about lacking oil knowledge - I had one guy try and tell me not to use the Motul 0W-40 becuase it was "too thin" and 5W-30 should only be used on cars younger than 4-5 years old
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Losiho, Where did you buy it and what was the damage? Our local Autobarn seems to be going out of the stuff, as last time I had a look they had no 5w-30 or 10w-40. I have spoken to the local motorbike shop that uses it and he said that he could get a price for me. I said I would pass at this stage on the 20ltr drum, 2 ltr containers would suffice.

10W40 300V is hard to find, even in Europe.

One of the ingredients is a calcium detergent as an ester polymer and the other is simply ZDDP, an anti-oxidant and anti-wear compound.

What two esters they are using is anyone's guess, since there are over 250 ester candidates for lubricants.

Deuginthesky,

10w-40 wasn't hard to get when they bothered to stock it. My son used it in his car. In general, however, Motul is not widely available here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back