Motul 300V Power Racing 5W-30

Losiho, Where did you buy it and what was the damage? Our local Autobarn seems to be going out of the stuff, as last time I had a look they had no 5w-30 or 10w-40. I have spoken to the local motorbike shop that uses it and he said that he could get a price for me. I said I would pass at this stage on the 20ltr drum, 2 ltr containers would suffice.

Losiho

Autobarn Doncaster, $45.99 for 2 litres, which is their "standard" price for any 2L 300V grade. They only had 3 bottles of 5W-30, no 5W-40 or 10W-40, one bottle of 0W-20, and the usual older 5L jugs of 15W-50.

I was paying 10-15% less as a discount, not much use if they don't have it. It also used to be priced as $39.95 rrp. Doncaster was an alternative source but they generally had less in stock than Ringwood. Kinda lacking in the oil knowledge area. Not seen the 0w-20. I think everywhere has the old faithull 15w-50 in some brand or another.

Losiho

You're not wrong about lacking oil knowledge - I had one guy try and tell me not to use the Motul 0W-40 becuase it was "too thin" and 5W-30 should only be used on cars younger than 4-5 years old [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by theguru: Losiho, Where did you buy it and what was the damage? Our local Autobarn seems to be going out of the stuff, as last time I had a look they had no 5w-30 or 10w-40. I have spoken to the local motorbike shop that uses it and he said that he could get a price for me. I said I would pass at this stage on the 20ltr drum, 2 ltr containers would suffice.
10W40 300V is hard to find, even in Europe.

MolaKule

Staff member
One of the ingredients is a calcium detergent as an ester polymer and the other is simply ZDDP, an anti-oxidant and anti-wear compound. What two esters they are using is anyone's guess, since there are over 250 ester candidates for lubricants.

Deuginthesky, 10w-40 wasn't hard to get when they bothered to stock it. My son used it in his car. In general, however, Motul is not widely available here.