Motul 300V 5W-40 Power / 10,897 miles / '03 Audi A4 1.8t....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my latest UOA for my '03 Audi A4 1.8t QMT5. I switched to Motul a while back after being a Red Line user for 7 years.

Quick history;

First oil change was at 10K miles. No UOA unfortunately. Factory fill was said to be Castrol Syntec "German Made" 0W-30. Make up oil was about 2 qts over this time (up until around 6K miles).

Then Red Line 5W-30 was used after that for about 8,000 miles and you can see the the UOA results for that (18,094 miles). Make up was 1 qt. TBN = 1.4

Next OCI was with Red Line 5W-40, but I only used it for 4,211 miles (up until 22,305 miles) because I wanted to switch to Motul. No make up oil. TBN = 3.1

So for this UOA, I used Motul 300V 5W-40 Power (not the new "Double Ester") and went 10,897 miles with it. I didn't plan on this kind of mileage for the 300V series oil, but before I knew it, I was past 30K miles. I'm actually surprised how good it looks. It's considered to be more of a racing oil, but it is applicable for street as well. Maybe just not to be run as long as their other standard car oils. TBN did drop a bit though from 10.9 (according to Motul specs). I also used Motul's Engine Clean at this time, but not with the Motul 300V, but instead with the dealer supplied synthetic oil and OE filter, then dumping it.

NOTE: I use a Canton Mecca 4" Performance Filter which I do not change between OCI's.

For my next 10K miles, I will be using Motul 8100 Ester E-Tech 0W-40. I'm very confident with this product. It carries VW503.01 and many other approvals. I read on a Motul dealers website that VW tested it in a 1.8t for 400 hrs and commented that your next oil change should be in 30,000 km (18K miles!). I'm game
grin.gif
It'll also be interesting to see if anything changes internally after a turbo kit upgrade project I am planning for the car.

I guess I should also mention that I've been doing extended drains for 8 years, averaging 8-12K miles, in VW/Audi 1.8/t's with a combined total of over 225K miles.

Go here for Motul oil specification sheets (.pdf)

I buy from local Motul dealers in SoCal (OC/LA). Contact Motul for Dist/Dealers nearest you if interested.

Motul USA Inc.
toll-free: (800) 926 6685

-

[ October 19, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: A4NCAR ]

It's good to see someone get his money's worth out of his oil. Most of us change our oil too soon but we are learning.

Outstanding report.....especially for a turbo car! Insolubles are very low also. Nice job!

Motul should be more widely available. This older formula would have a shot at MB 229.3/VW 503.01 but has already been updated.

Good work (visions of the old Apple commercial targetting IBM with the 1984 theme and the runner throwing the hammer at the screen with "Big Brother" on it preaching the morals of the 3k/3m OCI)

To boldly go where no one has gone before (cue theme music)
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Motul should be more widely available. This older formula would have a shot at MB 229.3/VW 503.01 but has already been updated.

It seems to be picking up in NA (and you know what a Motul
freak2.gif
I am on the Audi forums, influencing others to use it.. from Coast to Coast and even Canada). I also heard that some 20+ Audi dealers in Quebec have switched to it supposedly since the sludge issue.

I think the best choice though is the 8100 E-Tech 0W-40. But this new "Double Ester" 300V series looks good too.

Further proof that 300V is a bloody good oil. Im suprised it went the distance, when it is primarily a track oil, not a long OCI type oil.

Cmon guys, more 300V UOAs! haha

quote:

Originally posted by Leo:
Further proof that 300V is a bloody good oil. Im suprised it went the distance, when it is primarily a track oil, not a long OCI type oil.

Cmon guys, more 300V UOAs! haha

I agree and think the new 300V "Double Ester" will prove to be much better. But for now, I'll stick with the 8100 E-Tech 0W-40. The VW503.01 is ideal for my 1.8t's.

Is Motul widely used/available in Australia? I have noticed a number of Aussie's on here using Motul. It sounds like it is available at local auto parts stores as well (Autobarn). It's tough to find it here. You either mail order or find some small & obscure tech/race/enthusiast shop (Porsche/Pantera,..), or are fortunate enough to find it at some unknown auto parts store that happens to stock it. I'm fortunate enough to have both around here in CA, SoCal (LA/OC).

The Motul range is gaining more popularity and exposure in this country. They don't do much advertising (eg, no tv ads) but their products are prominently displayed in auto parts stores.

The 300V range is popular with the turbo crowd, mainly because it's much easier and cheaper to obtain than Redline.

I like the comment "TBN dropped down to 1.0 which is low, but try going to 12k next OCI"
lol.gif

Really good UOA.Stay with 300v 5w-40.Very good report for such a high interval.
With 0w-40 you can do 20000kms but with 300v racing engine oil?
Any way you did it.
Try new double ester 300v.
smile.gif

This is even more impressive considering the 300V line is only good for about 4,500 miles according to the Motul tech guy I talked to today at Motul America. I called the 800 number posted above. He said the 300V line can be used in daily drivers but not for long drains. You proved him wrong.

The guy wasn't quite as informed as I thought he would be. He said Mobil 1 no longer uses Esters, that was trisynthetic. He also said their 5w-40 is all PAO. How can any oil be all PAO or all Ester?
dunno.gif
He also said M1 was a mix of GrpIII/PAO. Whatever, another misinformed individual. Plenty of them out their.

Motul uses different additive packages in its 300V 5W-40 and other 300V grades. No idea why, but the cause may be in a different base stock (biodegradable). The package itself is quite similar to that used in diesel oils. BTW, Motul site replies sound like 5W-40 is fully OK for everyday use including in diesel engines.

I used it only once, after 300V 10W-40, and switched again to 10W-40 because it seemed to me that engine had become sluggish, but there could be one or a combination of many reasons:

1). its viscosity at 100 C is slightly higher than with 10W-40
2). the ambient temperature could be lower at this time
3). I did not know that additive packages are different and it could take place some interference. May be after the next fill engine would rev better, but now I may only guess.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
This is even more impressive considering the 300V line is only good for about 4,500 miles according to the Motul tech guy I talked to today at Motul America. I called the 800 number posted above. He said the 300V line can be used in daily drivers but not for long drains. You proved him wrong.

The guy wasn't quite as informed as I thought he would be. He said Mobil 1 no longer uses Esters, that was trisynthetic. He also said their 5w-40 is all PAO. How can any oil be all PAO or all Ester?
dunno.gif
He also said M1 was a mix of GrpIII/PAO. Whatever, another misinformed individual. Plenty of them out their.

The person I used to speak with (no longer there now) was very knowledgeable. He said 7500 miles with the 300V 5W-40 should prove fine in street apps (5K absolutely no problem). He was going to use it in his 1.8t Passat even (had been using the E-Tech 0W-40). But yes, I proved that person wrong.

As to who you speak with, Dave Wolman would be the one. Some others are not as oil savy.
wink.gif

The X-cess 5W-40 is just a petroleum synth (PAO). E-tech 0W-40 is an ester based synth belnd (ester/PAO). The 300V series is a pure ester formula. Mine was the Power (Biodegradeable). Now they have the new 300V series "Double Ester" formula.

Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40 PAO/Group 3 blend.
8100 E-Tech 0w-40 PAO/Ester.
300v 100% Ester base and little bit PAO but dont know the PAO %.

that oil seems to be working nicely on your engine. I also think the Redline oil was producing great numbers too, especially for a 5w-30 visc. There are obvious differences in mileage and viscosities in this comparison, it would have been nice to see the same mileage interval with all the oils. But looks like Motul is a great choice for your engine and the 40 weight is definitely the way to go.

Thanks everyone.
grin.gif
I'll be back later with the Motul 8100 E-Tech 0W-40 UOA when I reach 10K, maybe even 12K miles, with it. Until then.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back