Motul 109776 8100 X-Cess Gen2 5W-40 vs Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40

I've been going through a bunch of forums lately and a lot of people are stating Liqui-Moly is a mediocre product and isn't the "best" oil for European cars. The best oil would be Motul 5w-40. Now I've only been using liqui-moly oil for two years and don't have any complaints. The car seems to run better on Liqui-Moly than it did on BMW oil. I did add Ceratec but didn't notice any difference. So, could be a bunch of bs. But then again I've only driven the car 4500 miles since I brought it two years ago. I haven't had a UOA done yet to see how well the oil performs. I get my oil and parts from FCPEURO. So, at the end of the day, I don't pay for oil changes because of the Lifetime warranty. What is your guy's take on Liqui-Moly vs. Motul?

Last edited:
There are some huge threads here about Liqui-Moly. At the end of the day, it is fine product. It is not twice as good as anything else out there as some would have you believe, but it is good oil and will absolutely do the required job.

As for those two oils personally I would just buy the cheaper one because they will both get the job done without any concerns at all.

For that matter, so will any of the normally available Euro oils at Walmart for $22 a jug. But at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with any of those options.

Like Jimmy_Russells said, the oil is fine (assuming you are using a version that is approved for your application) but I would not go out of my way to buy it. Or pay extra for it.

The hype about Liqui Moly today reminds of the hype about Castrol GTX in the 90's. :rolleyes:

There are some huge threads here about Liqui-Moly. At the end of the day, it is fine product. It is not twice as good as anything else out there as some would have you believe, but it is good oil and will absolutely do the required job.

As for those two oils personally I would just buy the cheaper one because they will both get the job done without any concerns at all.

For that matter, so will any of the normally available Euro oils at Walmart for $22 a jug. But at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with any of those options.
Welp, guess I will be sticking with Liqui-Moly. I get the oil change kits for free :)

I use it and like it, but as said above, nothing that is so much better than other oils with the same approval for less. I too am an FCP return your oil guy so my kits cost me $21 shipping so hard to argue with those economics. I posted a comparison of the Motul vs. LM UOAs - the LM looked like it didn't shear as much but could just be the normal variation you see.

In before this thread gets locked.

4mt1fr.jpg

Last edited:
I use it and like it, but as said above, nothing that is so much better than other oils with the same approval for less. I too am an FCP return your oil guy so my kits cost me $21 shipping so hard to argue with those economics. I posted a comparison of the Motul vs. LM UOAs - the LM looked like it didn't shear as much but could just be the normal variation you see.

In before this tread gets locked.

View attachment 34496
I was just reading that post 😂

Ha! Good deal. When I find things oil-related on the VW forums and/or FB groups I try to share it as a searchable knowledge library that BITOG is.
What have you ever found on a Facebook group that is technically worthy of being shared here?

I was just reading that post 😂
So sticking with the LM? That UOA with the 2 ea LM vs. Motul is pretty good data I think from the FB group. There are a few oil nerd folks over there that post UOAs from time to time.
Welp, guess I will be sticking with Liqui-Moly. I get the oil change kits for free :)
FCP also does the Motul kits I believe as well as other Euro brands (Pentosin) so it's not like you have to stick with LM to use the 100% replacement deal. LM is currently 10% off at FCP including additives etc.

So sticking with the LM? That UOA with the 2 ea LM vs. Motul is pretty good data I think from the FB group. There are a few oil nerd folks over there that post UOAs from time to time.

FCP also does the Motul kits I believe as well as other Euro brands (Pentosin) so it's not like you have to stick with LM to use the 100% replacement deal. LM is currently 10% off at FCP including additives etc.
Nah, fcp only does liqui-moly and pentosin.

Just a random question, has anyone used Liqui-Moly Ceratec? Does it really help with wear and all the things it lists it does? Or is Ceratec just snake oil?

Just a random question, has anyone used Liqui-Moly Ceratec? Does it really help with wear and all the things it lists it does? Or is Ceratec just snake oil?
I used it once. Have a UOA....juat a spike of moly and boron. No idea if this does a thing. Good for 30k miles.

just a spike of moly and boron.
Is a spike in these two a good or bad thing?
A good thing...just friction modifiers. No real way to say if these help. They certainly aren't hurting anything but there are posts here in the additive sub-forum that suggest the solids fall out of suspension if not driven. Tons of folks use these products without issue...

A good thing...just friction modifiers. No real way to say if these help. They certainly aren't hurting anything but there are posts here in the additive sub-forum that suggest the solids fall out of suspension if not driven. Tons of folks use these products without issue...
I put it in my car @67k or 68k miles. That was almost two years ago... Car has 72k rn. But, the oil pan gasket was replaced so the oil pan was dropped and cleaned at 70k. Cars sitting in the garage because of the pandemic. I am assuming it's some what of a bad thing for the solids to fall out of suspension. But, no harm to the engine I hope

I put it in my car @67k or 68k miles. That was almost two years ago... Car has 72k rn. But, the oil pan gasket was replaced so the oil pan was dropped and cleaned at 70k. Cars sitting in the garage because of the pandemic. I am assuming it's some what of a bad thing for the solids to fall out of suspension. But, no harm to the engine I hope
No harm I'm sure - but I wonder if the solids are clumped in your oil pan?

I had the oil pan pulled out when my Indy shop did the oil pan gasket. So, I doubt the solids are there. If they are, would that be harmful?
I think that's a bit of a stretch - best they just get re-incorporated when you drive it around worst they stay clumped but I have no idea. I would honestly reach out to Liquimoly - they have great customer service/tech services, just email [email protected] and ask.

Back