Motul 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mais oui, mon ami. (Au moins, dans mon coeur!)
grin.gif

[ September 06, 2003, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Mais oui, mon ami. (Au moins, dans mon coeur!)

Hey, this is a US site, speak the language Pierre.
grin.gif

Aille m'a t'en faire toé a'ec du speak the language.

Now that is french Canadian. If anyone is brave enough to translate.

If Motul is 100% ester based, why has it not passed the 229.5 test?

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Where are you guys getting the Motul from in the United States? I ask because I have only found one plae and they mostly listed the race only Motul products. Thanks!!!

Motul does make some fine products--in fact, it's the official oil of the Subaru World Rally team and a number of other racing teams as well.

Only thing holding me back is the very limited availability--to buy it locally in Denver, you have to go to a motorcycle shop to find it--and then it costs an arm and a leg to buy.

8100 0W-40 thins like many other oils and can be even less shear stable then M1 0W-40, at least with temporary viscosity loss. HT/HS 3.66 is quite normal for all actual compositions, even for 5W-40 synthetics, irrespective of oil manufacturer (6100 5W-40 Synergie or 8100 5W-40 now has 3.57). Everything is made to reduce mileage, but unfortunately it is often at the expense of lower wear protection.
Like with 300V its corrosion activity is 25-40 % higher then with PAO or PAO + HC synthetics. Base stock is not 100 % esters: there was an amount of PAO that may be substituted now by HC where the increase in NOACK.
As I could understand it was more important for Motul to get first VW 503.01 approval rather then MB 229.5 (probably some marketing reasons). In wear tests 229.3 is more rigid then 229.5, so next figure or letter does not mean better.
Subjectively with 8100 0W-40 works quieter then with M1 0W-40 or Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30, but I don't have possibility to make oil analysis. It's a good oil, but nothing exceptional, if we may still find something exceptional nowadays.
As for Motul esters, given oil properties of their all esters based oils it does not look Motul uses the best ones.

Unfortunately my PC does not like to work at this Forum (apparently bacause of PC age), so before I get ordered notebook I shall not be able to actively participate in your discussion. Sorry.

Asmodeus, est-ce qu'a Quebec on apprend maintenant le francais sur les livres du type "Zizie dans le metro" ?

Primus:

Thank you for the explanation. I thought though that 229.5 had more stringent demands than 229.3. T'was an honnest mistake on my behalf.

LoL about the zizi dans le metro. But you do know that French Canadian is pre-revolution French. It's the OEM of French
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back