Motul 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone running this oil right now? I'd like to see a UOA and see if it thins down like the M1 0w-40. These are the only two 0w-40's on the market. Amsoil has one but it's not for cars.

This oil should not thin at all. It's supposed to be 100% Ester based (although it's cheaper than Amsoil's 0W-30, which I get for dealer cost
freak2.gif
). If you need the specs, do a search as I've posted them in an earlier thread.

Thanks! Wow, all ester based. I'll have to do a search. I'm always ranting about using the search function and look what I do.
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Thanks! Wow, all ester based. I'll have to do a search. I'm always ranting about using the search function and look what I do.
pat.gif

FYI: the pour point for Motul 0w40 and the German Castrol 0w30 are almost IDENTICAL. That should tell you something about the German Castrol, no?

Buster,

Be advised, if you are talking about Motul 8100 E-Tech, I was quoted $10/litre...very expensive stuff...I'll wager that it is a great oil, but I don't know if it is $10 great.

quote:

FYI: the pour point for Motul 0w40 and the German Castrol 0w30 are almost IDENTICAL. That should tell you something about the German Castrol, no?

No not really. I'm hopeing it will be a great oil, and one that is here to stay. I really would like another great oil in the OTC oil market other then Mobil 1. However, there is no proof that it's staying here and we need more UOA's. I also dont believe group III oils will hold up in the long run compared to true PAO synthetics. Amsoil, M1 and Redline all use the same approach. For 5k miles, the German Castrol might be great, but what about 10K plus? It is A3 rated, and I would think it is very capable of long drains, but we havn't seen any yet.

If Motul is $10qt., I'll pass.

[ September 05, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Motul 0W-40 is around US$7.50 here in Canada, which is cheaper than Amsoil's 0W-30 (dealer price). Redline is extremely expensive though, their 5W-40 costs around US$12 per liter.

quote:

I don't think the NOACK % is an indication of whether it'll burn more, as my car burns Amsoil 10W-30 much faster than the Amsoil 0W-30.

Very, very good point. I found this to be the case as well. We have no Motul around here but for that price, I'd pick that over S2k. Thanks for the spec. sheets.
cheers.gif

I stand slightly corrected. The following is a direct price quote I got from one US supplier

8100 E-Tech 0w30 - $10.00 per liter container plus shipping
8100 E-Tech 0w40 - $9.00 per liter container plus shipping

Wonder why the 0W40 is cheaper?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I also dont believe group III oils will hold up in the long run compared to true PAO synthetics. Amsoil, M1 and Redline all use the same approach. For 5k miles, the German Castrol might be great, but what about 10K plus? It is A3 rated, and I would think it is very capable of long drains, but we havn't seen any yet.

I guess you haven't been following all the German Castrol threads too closely. There is NO WAY this oil can be Group III based with a pour point of -81°F. It MAY have some Group III in it, maybe up to about 20%, but that's just my speculation. It could be ALL ester, or an ester/PAO blend. But with a pour point that low, the primary component has to be esters.

quote:

I guess you haven't been following all the German Castrol threads too closely

Your right, I havn't.
wink.gif

It looks impressive. I'm hoping it stays here. Do you think getting a virgin sample of US syntec could tell us somthing? Maybe the TBN would be lower along with the Calcium.

[ September 05, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

A guy in my car club owns a speed shop up here and he sells Motul 0w40. He offered to sell it to me for his cost of $11.50 per liter so I could test it out, but it was after I put in GC 0w30 already. He normally sells it for $13.50.

I'm curious about it, however if GC 0w30 doesn't work out, I'd rather try Mobil 1 0w40 since it's only $7 a liter here.

But even still, it's got me curious.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
A guy in my car club owns a speed shop up here and he sells Motul 0w40. He offered to sell it to me for his cost of $11.50 per liter so I could test it out, but it was after I put in GC 0w30 already. He normally sells it for $13.50.

I'm curious about it, however if GC 0w30 doesn't work out, I'd rather try Mobil 1 0w40 since it's only $7 a liter here.

But even still, it's got me curious.

Patman:

$7 a liter? Lucky you my friend. it's $9.95 a liter once you cross the Quebec border. I think I might start doing my shopping in Ontario - taxes in Quebec are ridiculous.

I'm going to do a search soon about this, but where does Motul rank in the order of things?

Where are you guys getting the Motul from in the United States? I ask because I have only found one plae and they mostly listed the race only Motul products. Thanks!!!

Private message me so as not to incure editing of the link. Thanks!

I was reading on the Motul site, and noticed that there 0W40 is 229.3 certified, but not 229.5 like Mobil1's 0W40.

Is this sufficient reason to have it land in 2nd place?
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Where are you guys getting the Motul from in the United States? I ask because I have only found one plae and they mostly listed the race only Motul products. Thanks!!!

Private message me so as not to incure editing of the link. Thanks!

JB,

Will send you a PM

quote:

Originally posted by Asmodeus:
I was reading on the Motul site, and noticed that there 0W40 is 229.3 certified, but not 229.5 like Mobil1's 0W40.

Is this sufficient reason to have it land in 2nd place?
wink.gif

M1 is not who it finshed second to...
grin.gif
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back